2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

bonehead move....dropped something into fuel tank.....

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2009, 08:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
bonehead move....dropped something into fuel tank.....

I ran into town tonight to get some #1 fuel for the cummins, and thought i'd dump some howes conditioner in too. after i dumped that in, i looked down the fill tube, and there was the paper seal thing out of the howes bottle cap. i almost got it out with a peice of wire, but then it dropped all the way in.

so, am i now driving a ticking time bomb because that thing could at anytime, especially with low fuel, cover the fuel line intake and stop me dead? or it there some type of screen in the tank that will save my rear?

good move, huh?
Old 12-05-2009, 09:01 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I'll bet you are not the first person to do that! Wish I could offer advice but I will be watching for responses so I know what to do when I do that trick myself.
Old 12-05-2009, 09:25 PM

Sounds like something I would do. I know how you feel, I usually speak to myself, saying something like, cool move moron. I doubt your pickup tube has a sock or screen on it, but I would just take my chances and leave it.
Old 12-05-2009, 09:44 PM
I wish I was as fine, as those who work the pipeline!

Well the answer is....

It depends. It does not appear that you have changed your factory fuel sender/fuel pump. If this is true there is a 'basket' that will trap larger material and not allow it into the fuel system. It will most likely settle to the bottom or get caught in the basket and not make much of a worry.

If you have installed a draw straw and an after market 'FASS' type fuel pump then there is a possibility that it could get puled into the draw straw and impede fuel flow so it would be a good idea to get it out.

HTH
Old 12-06-2009, 03:33 AM

well my thoughts no matter what I dont think it would be good for long term. I have dropped my tank 2 times in past once for the draw straw and 2nd time because I as well though something was dropped in it. (never have coins in your hand when putting in additive. duh. (those moments) not a fun job but if you do might be a good time to look at a draw straw. sorry to hear about it. and by the way never did find the coin I thought I dropped. and a wasted sunday.
Old 12-06-2009, 09:55 AM

if stock fuel system, I would not loose any sleep over it, it wont get past the filter screen.

I did not see anything in mine when I had it apart,(but have heard that its there) there could be a screen in the filler neck/hose that catches it, kinda like a factory way of keeping some one from siphoning fuel on you
Old 12-06-2009, 10:20 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
As you can see, the original unit has lots of area to catch wayward bits. The black goo in this photo is 'melted' plastic from the float.

Name:  1-1.jpg
Views: 857
Size:  63.1 KB
Old 12-06-2009, 02:37 PM

Received 152 Likes on 131 Posts
I lost the seal to an oil bottle into my ford once. After a week I couldn't take it anymore, worried it would clog up my oil pump. I pulled the valve cover and sure as sunshine it was blocking the oil drain out at the back of the head! I slept a lot better after I got it out.

Let us know what you do.

Kurt
Old 12-06-2009, 07:33 PM

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
There is a ping pong ball in the fuel filler hose that works as a check valve. If you have not fueled up since you dropped it in the paper tab will not go past the ping pong ball. It is easy to remove the filler hose.
Old 12-06-2009, 09:25 PM

Dude,
That truck is trashed. Send me your address and I'll remove that burden from your driveway..

Bob
Old 12-08-2009, 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by dguru
There is a ping pong ball in the fuel filler hose that works as a check valve. If you have not fueled up since you dropped it in the paper tab will not go past the ping pong ball. It is easy to remove the filler hose.
I havn't fueled it since, and might not until spring. I typically never drive it when theres salt on the roads, so I've got some time. So I could pull out the filler hose, and this check valve deal is inside there?

Sounds like it might not be a huge deal to leave it in there seeing the pics of the screen on the sender unit. Thanks for all the input!

Originally Posted by rjmelehan
Dude,
That truck is trashed. Send me your address and I'll remove that burden from your driveway..

Bob
HAHA! Thanks for the offer, I'll keep it in mind
Old 12-08-2009, 10:21 PM

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
All you need to do is losen the dayco clamps on both ends of the hose and pull the hose off the tank. I would not wait too long because it could work past it. I don't think it will cause any problem in the tank but you seem to be worried about it so I made the suggestion.