2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

Body lift???

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2003, 07:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Body lift???

I am toying with an idea and wonder if anyone has installed a 3" body lift on their truck. How much work and how reliable? I have several reasons and do not have a pickup bed on it.
Old 03-31-2003, 08:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re:Body lift???

I did it and I believe Rob Thomas did as well. Fairly straightforward install. The instructions are pretty easy to follow. The only things you have to do that aren't in the instructions include rotating the passenger side turbo plumbing so it isn't pinched and loosening the drivers side plumbing to allow it to move up 3 inches. I thought I was going to have to cut the tube to make it fit, but it went back inwith a little room to spare. I also removed the stock fan and replaced it with an electric instead of relocating the fan shroud. Everything else is staightforward and all parts are included. It definately sits higher and the ride has not changed at all. For the amount of money it cost I would definately do it again. I should have pictures up soon, I haven't had a chance to take any since the installation was completed, maybe tommorrow.<br> Evil
Old 03-31-2003, 09:12 PM

I have installed numerous lifts in vehicles, but only 2 body lifts. I can tell you that I personally think body lifts are trash. Had a buddy who put one in. He had a bit of weight in the back of the truck. The weight shifted and moved the bed into the cab of his truck which moved the cab. After a couple of months, we removed the body lift. Invest in a good suspension if you're going to jack it up. You won't be sorry.
Old 03-31-2003, 10:38 PM

Received 142 Likes on 108 Posts

I also have to say that I dont like body lifts. The only good part about them is they do leave the drive lines at the stock angles but in doing this you must move everything that is attached to the body. They can also cause so many other problems. I have even heard of the blocks actually pushing through the body. Some guys like them but I have heard of many more that dont. You said you have several reasons, I was wondering what are they.
Old 04-01-2003, 06:08 AM

[quote author=KATOOM link=board=5;threadid=13008;start=0#122890 date=1049171882]<br> The only good part about them is they do leave the drive lines at the stock angles but in doing this you must move everything that is attached to the body. They can also cause so many other problems. I have even heard of the blocks actually pushing through the body. <br>[/quote]<br>While some of this might be true for older trucks, it doesn't really apply to the Ram. There is actually nothing attached to the body that needs to be relocated, a billet steering extension comes with the kit, and the intercooler plumbing needs to be adjusted a little bit. If you have an auto like me you have to weld a 3&quot; extension onto the shift linkage, and simply loosen 1 bolt on the 4wd linkage and retighten it when you are done. That is the extent of moving anything attached to the body. The blocks will never push through the body unless your body is rusting out, the blocks mount between your old mounting points where there is the most strength anyway. As far as the bed goes, the Performance Accessories kit DOUBLES the # of mounting points in the bed. But that doesn't matter to Haulin anyway since he doesn't even have a bed! If you want I can post the instructions so everyone can get a better idea of what is involved.<br> Evil
Old 04-01-2003, 10:32 AM

Ok several reasons.... One is that later this year I am stretching the truck and adding a sleeper. The sleeper is a 36&quot; kw which matches the lines great but will have to be cut down to be proportional. With a lift less will have to be cut down and more room inside. Another reason is more room for exaust stack system and transmission room. Also the bumper mounting will be lower as opposed to the cab. More room in the engine compartment should be a vailable. Chassis lift is not an option at all. Getting rid of the four inch blocks is a major issue for me also. That about covers it....
Old 04-01-2003, 01:31 PM
Muted User

A year or two down the road when you go around a corner and the body of the truck slides to the side and the chassis stays where it was... it'll make ya think twice about a body lift. I myself wouldn't use a body lift on anything I liked. If you don't keep the those extended bolts tight and replace the ones that bend from the stress of the body weight... you could find yourself ina world of hurt in a wreck or while driving. I had a bronco with a worn body lift... dangerous. Just my opinion....
Old 04-01-2003, 07:45 PM

Also, if you are in an area where critters like deer etc, run across roads; I guarantee you, if you smack one solid your body will move.<br><br>There's more to it than just the body moving. I never did like the look of having a greater gap between the frame and body. I've seen some where you can see daylight all the way through. It looks tacky and cheap. <br><br>This is just my opinion. I'm sure some out there like the body lift and that's ok......... just not on anything I'd ever own ;D
Old 04-01-2003, 08:23 PM

Haulin in Dixie,

I have a 3&quot; Product Accessories body lift on mine, no complaints, for my reasons it's perfect, I love it. In 10 years I'll give you some more feedback. Also, you can't see daylight between anything on my truck, some of you guys need to get your facts straight, it looks undisturbed.

Later, Rob

I attached a pic, show me the daylight, and the &quot;cheap&quot; look.
Click here for more pics, and the run down of the install... http://www.turbodieselregister.com/f...threadid=64654

BTW, those aren't rancho traction bars......
Old 04-02-2003, 07:01 AM

[quote author=Turbowd link=board=5;threadid=13008;start=0#123255 date=1049247952]<br>Also, if you are in an area where critters like deer etc, run across roads; I guarantee you, if you smack one solid your body will move.<br> ;D<br>[/quote]<br>Actually, I obliterated a deer a week ago doing about 55. Caught him dead center, bumper, grill and hood took the full impact, have to replace all three (This is why I can get a new ROADARMOR bumper now)plus a new AC condenser and repaint one fender. Checked all body to frame and body to bed measurements, Rock solid. ;D
Old 04-02-2003, 07:31 PM

Just saying that I've seen it. Like I said, just my opinion. If people enjoy the body lifts, that's great. It's a cheaper way to go to get height. I have my facts straight. Granted, I haven't lifted a Dodge either way, but you put a body lift on some vehicles and I guarantee you you can see all the way across between the body and frame.

We have our opinions and that's totally fine. I'm saying a body lift would never touch anything that I own. He asked for an opinion and that's what a couple of us gave. Not trying to imply that your truck looks cheap. I'm saying when you have gaps and can see the frame I don't care for it, but he may like it. It's all good.

Rob, what improvement did you see when you installed those bars on your truck?

Evil, hehe... I saw a body lifted Nissan smack a deer on the driver's front side and it totally cocked the whole cab sideways. Of course we're comparing apples to oranges now.

Old 04-02-2003, 11:27 PM

[quote author=Turbowd link=board=5;threadid=13008;start=0#123637 date=1049333473]<br>Rob, what improvement did you see when you installed those bars on your truck?<br><br><br>[/quote]<br><br>The total driving characteristics have changed for the better, not to mention at the drag strip, and the sled pulls. I took them off to have them powder coated, I was miserable driving without them, very happy to have them back. The truck feels more solid, driving in snow, ice, or sand, without wheel hop is great!<br><br>Later,Rob
Old 04-03-2003, 03:40 PM

I put one on my ford ranger a while back and i needed it for the V8 swap. If I could i would take it out in a minute. Have to make new mounts, bumper sits lower, and the steering has more play. I also have gaps that look really ugly. I have seen a 1500 ram up here with one and you can see the gaps. Not sure on a 2500. I personally wouldnt do it. Its a CHEAP fix that is CHEAP.
Old 04-03-2003, 05:24 PM

yawn
Old 04-04-2003, 01:00 AM

Thanks Rob for the information, I will be putting one in this summer. I need the space below and that is the only way to do it. Sounds like most of the problems are from poor instalation. I usually do it with wrenches, keeps the bolts tight

Quick Reply: Body lift???