2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

blown engine

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2004, 10:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hmmmm..?? ok so that means that they give off heat better when black. learn somethin new every day. so do you think a bbq pit would hold heat better if it were painted white? just thinkin out loud here
Old 11-23-2004, 05:47 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I know you can sleeve a 24V block. But not sure about the 12V. Sure you can though. Get a chrysler tech manual and it should have the procedures and clearances for a sleeve job. I know the tech manual for the 24V does.
Old 11-23-2004, 09:27 PM

Ive had bad experiences with sleeving these motors. You can just as easily do a overbore and get the pistons to match. Cummins sells two sizes of overbore pistons. one is like 10 over an the other is like 30, of course theyre metric so I cant rember the specifics.
Old 11-26-2004, 07:50 PM

oh man, i forgot all about being metric!! ummmm. i need to get those specs straight before i go to boring it out and stuff. i talked to the guy and he said that they make .040 pistons. i am going to the machine shop monday to get an evaluation and quote.
i took my turbo all apart and cleaned it up. then i plugged up my wastegate so it aint gunna come open if it wanted to. does anyone know more about the "pin" in the injection pump that will make a 94' run bad if i put huge injectors in it? its kinda bothering me and i'd just like to know more about it.
Old 11-26-2004, 08:03 PM

I think id check the transmition and all real good. Then I think id go buy another motor. You can find nice used ones for under 4000$ figure in extra goodies here and there and 5-6k for a truck I dont think thats bad at all.
just my 2 cents
Old 11-27-2004, 02:19 AM

Originally posted by banks twinram
hmmmm..?? ok so that means that they give off heat better when black. learn somethin new every day. so do you think a bbq pit would hold heat better if it were painted white? just thinkin out loud here
not black BLUKE it's a cummins thing. rebuid on a 5.9 is around 6500 with head and turbo
Old 11-27-2004, 09:43 AM

i'm doing all the labor on my motor. and everyone thinks that all cummins will last 300 or 400,000 miles. yes i believe they "can", if they were taken care of. my motor had only 150,000 miles and it was worn out real bad. i'm the kind of guy that likes to start out fresh on a motor and i know exactly what shortcuts i took on the rebuild process so if something ever screws up, i know its my fault and also that i can diagnose the problem and get it repaired quick and easy. i want to either put the dodge back together, or put the cummins in a jetboat!!! he he he
Old 11-27-2004, 10:52 AM

i want to either put the dodge back together, or put the cummins in a jetboat!!! he he he

Are you sure you didn't mean TUGBOAT? Otherwise, that might be the slowest, heaviest jetboat ever!
Old 11-27-2004, 03:16 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I always thought the color of an object only made a difference if the sun was shining on it and radiators and coolers were only painted to prevent corrosion.
If anything it seems to me a painted cooler wouldn't be as efficient since the paint would be a barrier to air to metal contact.
Old 11-27-2004, 11:40 PM

i dunno, i can seethat my intercooler is corroded pretty bad where the paint chiped off. but its been sittin out in the weather for 4 years! and i know, thats wut everybody says about a jetboat, it will be slow. you didn't think far enough ahead. why do they have overdrive for a diesel? because if not, the motor just wraps out and sits on the governor. what you need for a jetboat is 2 n.p.205 t-cases turned around backwards behind the cummins for about a 4-1 overdrive ratio. then get about a B prop and git er' dun, be jammin gears and blowin smoke on the water!!
Old 02-03-2005, 06:48 PM

ok, i got my motor all back together and stuff, it's just about ready to go in the truck. i got a big pole truck and stuff so putting it in with motor tranny all attached will be easy. i ended up letting the machine shop put the head on and adjust the valves, i got some injectors off ebay since i hammered the old ones out of the head. i am wondering how tight to get the injectors now and if they are supposed to have a little copper washer that goes on them. and if not, where can i buy them and-or will it run w/o them. i got a clutch and i am utting the i.p. on next. i took the front cover off and just got a 3/8 flat washer, grade 8 and put it on the little bolt right beside the kdp and put it over top of my kdp and tightened the bolt up. the washer bent a little as i tightened the bolt, and it's pretty tight, so i don't think it is going anywhere, very simple when the motor is out of the truck. is there anything else i need to do while i it's still out of the truck. by the way, i mashed that kdp in about 1/8 of an inch or so when i tightened it up, the motor had 150,000 miles on it, but i don't know if they messed with that pin at the shop. is there any easier way to time the pump by using the line-up pins on the motor-pump and counting teeth or something like that??? surely there's a set number of teeth from tdc of the pump gear or soemthing. theres about 65 teeth on the pump gear, so that would make each tooth something like 10 degrees, but if you jump the cam gear one tooth, you can move the pump in 5* incriments. but still i don't know how many teeth means 9 m.m. inside the pump like the dial indicator method says. i dunno, i may just go buy a dial indicator and stuff.