2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

best place to pull power for accessories?

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2007, 01:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
best place to pull power for accessories?

When some of you folks add fog lights, bed lights, canopy lights, amber strobe lights, etc., where did you find the most convenient place to hook onto fused power? I'm looking over the points where I can piggy-back onto a fuse that is not too heavily loaded, but some of you that have been there before probably have good ideas.

I suppose it is easiest to add switches under the dash rather than try to get into the actual dash front. I'd like to add fog lights, but not sure I want to try to get the little empty box out of the dash so I can try adding a factory-style switch there.

Thanks,
Dennis
Old 11-18-2007, 01:59 AM

it's obvious that you need to pull wire for a totally new, seperate, fused circuit. dont skimp out, you'll be stranded or really mad when something happens.

the engineers at DC engineered each circuit around it's needs, if you go adding 30A draws to a circuit thats designed to run a cigerette lighter thats designed for 7 amps, your gonna melt your wiring..

also on the flipside, if you tie your fog lights into the tail light circuit and something happens, you've lost your tail lights and you dont know wether it was something to do with yoru actual tail lights, or your fog lights.

each circuit needs to be designed around it's amperage. don't "piggyback" circuits. i have bought trucks that have litterally had the wiring harness melted into one "mono-glob".. stupid previous owners

it's not worth it, take 10 extra minutes and drive to the parts store and get a mini fuse block and do it right.
Old 11-18-2007, 05:51 AM

I used a ' Piggy back' fuse holder on the radio fuse to power a 'Painless' add on Fuse panel , mounted on top the underhood Fuse panel

The piggy Back ( add a fuse ) replaces the radio fuse and has 2 fuse positions
for ( 1 for radio, 1 for add on fuse for the Paimless 'panel power control')

The painless fuse panel has both switched and unswitched ( key on )
circuits , The panel comes with a thermal CB for powering from the battery.
Isolates all add on's from the truck wiring...The piggy back fuse circuit powers the fuse panel relay for switched power.

They come in 7 circuit and I believe 3 circuit panels, much easier than
messing with add on circuits
Old 11-18-2007, 09:12 AM

For fog lights, I used a relay. I ran the switching signal from my parking lights. Now, of course, it means my fog lights on even with the high beams, but I wanted all the light I could get. Then just fuse them straight off the battery.
Old 11-18-2007, 09:27 AM
DTR's Cow Boss

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I ran a extra block of fusible spots off the battery. I have not got fancy yet to make it a keyed on power but I might just go the painless route. I ran a big wire from the battery to the main spot on the fuse panel then that gave me 6 spots to run wires and fuses from,
Old 11-18-2007, 11:14 PM

power

Thanks, guys. I knew if I installed fog lights I'd need a relay and separate power. It's the little things I've got to plan. I think I'll follow your suggestions about a separate fuse block.

Dennis
Old 11-19-2007, 01:41 PM
Banned

Make sure you aim the lights properly. Nothing worse that idiot modded vehicle coming at you with lots of lights in your eyes. I've done business with this guy from a Datsun Z forum. Feel free to ask him for info. http://www.h4lights.com/