2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

bent drag link into a taco

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2009, 10:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
bent drag link into a taco

so i was driving in reverse, turned the wheel hit a bump and bent my drag link right in the middle now my tires are toe in about 30 degrees. does anyone know were i can purchase a real good heavy duty draglink. with how easy it bent i dont want a stock replacement.
Old 05-25-2009, 10:08 AM

actually i would switch over to the 99 HD t-style draglink. Just did it on mine.
http://www.mark74.com/ram_modifications.htm

Long tie rod: DS1456
Drag link: DS1459
Left tie rod end: ES3496
Drag link tie rod end: ES3497
Small adjusting sleeve: ES2012S
Large adjusting sleeve: ES3498S

rockauto had a good price.
Old 05-25-2009, 02:27 PM

yea thats perfect! now next question what parts do i need to buy? is it just the drag link or do i need anything else? thanks for the quick response!

is that your webpage that i was looking at? if so awesome job it looks great!
Old 05-25-2009, 03:33 PM

i did a search and when i type in draglink i get a bunch of stuff for tie rods. the only part that bent was the draglink. everthing else is fine. do i need to buy a bunch of stuff or can i get just the hd draglink and put all the stock parts back on the new hd draglink?
Old 05-25-2009, 04:15 PM

why did this get moved from the emergency help section. i need this thing back running asap and is dead on the road. i think thats enough of a emergency.
Old 05-25-2009, 04:32 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by powermad
why did this get moved from the emergency help section. i need this thing back running asap and is dead on the road. i think thats enough of a emergency.
I figured you'd get better answers from 2nd gen owners. Not everybody looks at the Help! section.
Old 05-25-2009, 04:48 PM

Look at the link that guy above listed, which does your steering look like, if its like the bottom one were the draglink connects to the crossover bar then that was you need, if it connects to the knuckle then thats the one you need, should not be hard to find at any parts store
Old 05-25-2009, 05:28 PM

i have the y type for the 2001 truck and want to upgrade to the 98/99 steering but my question now is do i need all the parts that were listed above or can i use all my other parts just new tie rods and drag link.
Old 05-25-2009, 05:39 PM

nevermind i figured it out. thanks for the help everyone. i thought it came with all the sleeves and ends but they need to be purchased separately. i ordered them from rock auto and the total was 376 bucks. i highly recommend everyone with the 2000 and up steering upgrade. mine bent way too easy and i dont want to see this happen to someone else. thanks countrymanlife you were a life saver on this one.
Old 05-25-2009, 07:07 PM

well sorry was out swimmign with the family. As stated you will need all parts but the drag link pitman arm tierod. The reason i really like this setup is that you no longer have a week point between your wheels. Plus the parts are beefer all ecept the draglink, but since the draglink now just pushes the tierod ends you dont have the same issues. And no its not my site its just the best reference i have found to this conversion, guys on pavementsucks and pirate4x4 have been talking about this for some time now. Glad you got everything you need, install should take you less than an hour, plus you get greasable endlinks
Old 05-25-2009, 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by countrymanlife
well sorry was out swimmign with the family. As stated you will need all parts but the drag link pitman arm tierod. The reason i really like this setup is that you no longer have a week point between your wheels. Plus the parts are beefer all ecept the draglink, but since the draglink now just pushes the tierod ends you dont have the same issues. And no its not my site its just the best reference i have found to this conversion, guys on pavementsucks and pirate4x4 have been talking about this for some time now. Glad you got everything you need, install should take you less than an hour, plus you get greasable endlinks
you read my mind on the greasable endlinks that was a major plus. have you done this to your truck? if not u should. i really got ticked at a 3/4 ton truck would break that easy. steering vp44 and trannys are def the weeklinks of these trucks
Old 05-25-2009, 11:10 PM

yup i did this last week... so worth it. haha but the major problem i ran into was the steering stabilizer, not real sure which one you would need, i have the 3.5 inch axle housing which makes parts a pain to come by, luckly i thought my skyjacker inline dual stabilizers were bad but they are in good shape so i just reinstalled those. Which i believe they made for this linkage in the first place because of the size of the ubolts
Old 05-26-2009, 02:23 AM

Originally Posted by countrymanlife
yup i did this last week... so worth it. haha but the major problem i ran into was the steering stabilizer, not real sure which one you would need, i have the 3.5 inch axle housing which makes parts a pain to come by, luckly i thought my skyjacker inline dual stabilizers were bad but they are in good shape so i just reinstalled those. Which i believe they made for this linkage in the first place because of the size of the ubolts
does your axle have the sleeve on thepassenger side of the fron axle? mine does. do i need a aftermarket stabilizer?
Old 05-26-2009, 09:12 AM

you talking the CAD? For the stabilizer i think you will need an aftermarket one, or some kind of mount, since you will no longer have the hole in the tierod for the stock stabilizer.
Old 05-26-2009, 02:46 PM

yea i just noticed that. i might try to build a bracket and just use my old one. i just dont have a extra 250 bucks after the 450 dollar tow and 411 dollar parts i dont have much extra does anyone have a cheap alternative?

Quick Reply: bent drag link into a taco