2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

Before I buy, I'd like some opinions.

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2007, 10:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kurtaing
Looks pretty good for 12,500 and not many miles. Definitely a tow rig. good tires. HO 6 speed, quad. You couldn't find that up here for less than 18000. The dash can be replaced/covered. It looks like the exhuast has been redirected and there's some wiring running to the fuel tank that doesn't look 'factory'. The oil looks like my truck does in that area. Is there a puddle under where its parked? Mine seeps but doesn't drip. Get it checked by a good mech and check the title history, you don't want somebody's Katrina survivor! Kurt
could it be the wiring for the trailer brakes?? i looked for a long time up here and i finally found a 2000 ext cab black sport everything but leather..low km chip, intake, exaust, matching canapy, mags ect ect for 19000 canadian..but it took me over a year...i say thats a good deal..just get it checked out
Old 04-05-2007, 11:33 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by crutt
Mind if I ask what a clockspring is?
It's inside the column and what the purpose is I don't know. I do know that it has electronics built in it and it will break and then the cruise/horn/airbag will not work. There is a recall on it so call the dealer with the vin and see if it has been done yet...that's how I got mine fixed after I broke it trying to fix something else.
Old 04-05-2007, 10:45 PM

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by hamilton71801
It's inside the column and what the purpose is I don't know. I do know that it has electronics built in it and it will break and then the cruise/horn/airbag will not work. There is a recall on it so call the dealer with the vin and see if it has been done yet...that's how I got mine fixed after I broke it trying to fix something else.
The clockspring consists of a long, coiled, electrically conductive ribbon within a plastic housing. Its job is to provide the electrical circuit between the steering wheel and the column, to allow the many components housed in the steering wheel to operate, while allowing the wheel to turn back and forth. Airbag, cruise control, horn, and sometimes radio controls all use the clockspring to function, and often, one of the strands in the clockspring can break, causing whichever component to malfunction.
Old 04-05-2007, 11:29 PM
DTR question asker

Hmm doesn't look to bad... Box5 is gonna have a fit when he sees that side-dump exhaust :P.

The dash sounds like a common problem and probably shouldn't be a big deal... airbag light is most likely a bad sensor somewhere (or some other stupid broken electronic thing :P), my light is on too. Run/get someone to run a carfax on it for you... Hope this might help some.
Old 04-06-2007, 12:05 PM

Run it by a dealer, spend $100 and let them do a full buyer's check on it. Safest way to know what you're up against. I would also be aware of a possible salvage title, for the money, it seems a little "good to be true."

"Who cares about it being dirty"...well that's also a good indication of maintance habits and how much they care about thier truck.
Old 04-06-2007, 02:32 PM

Just a gut feeling but something tells me there is something major wrong with this truck. Get it checked out proffessionally and check for accident history. If it does check out good then it looks like a real good deal to me. Good luck, that's just the type of truck I would be looking for.
Old 04-06-2007, 02:50 PM

Mine has the same busted dash. The plastic can't be much thinner so the sun ready attacks it. Put a dash carpet on it and it becomes a very convenient place to pass wires up for things (i.e., GPS, gauges, etc)
Old 04-06-2007, 04:24 PM

See what kind of person the seller is. Use your intuition. If you feel like there's just something not right then don't buy it or get it checked out thoroughly. We got a really good deal (for the time) on our Acura a long time ago. Turned out nothing but problems and the seller had rolled back the odometer... I've car shopped several times in the past and have came to the conclusion that you get what you pay for. When we bought a Honda Accord, there were lots of cheaper pre-owned ones but there was just something not right about them. Don't let this thread give you second thoughts either though. Let us know what happens.
Old 04-08-2007, 09:11 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by 96_12V
Run it by a dealer, spend $100 and let them do a full buyer's check on it. Safest way to know what you're up against. I would also be aware of a possible salvage title, for the money, it seems a little "good to be true."

"Who cares about it being dirty"...well that's also a good indication of maintance habits and how much they care about thier truck.
I'd run it by someone who knows something about these trucks... that isn't always the dealer.

also, if a guy is on a limited time/money budget, sometimes fixing a weeping oil pan gasket just isn't in the cards... I'm more cautious of a truck that is perfectly clean than one that you can see some leaks! anyone can go powerwash their leaker before you come over!
Old 04-08-2007, 11:02 AM

Agreed. It's always a good sign to see tie rod ends and u-joints greasy, not clean. And to see a spatter of grease radiating around u-joints - if you grease 'em, that's what happens. Only the most particular people clean that.