2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

Bed Rail Caps....Hmm....

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2008, 01:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bed Rail Caps....Hmm....

What kind of bed rail caps do you guys have? I've always liked the diamond tread aluminum and know they would look great on my first gen but I'm kind of leaning towards plastic for my second gen. Bushwacker makes a diamond tread plastic bed rail cap called "Diamondback" that look pretty neat. Their website shows them on a third gen. Does anybody have these or any pics of them on a second gen?

Thanks!
-Ben
Old 04-01-2008, 01:42 PM

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
I had the inside of my box sprayed with bed liner when it was new and got them to spray the top of the box and tail gate.
Old 04-02-2008, 12:01 AM

Yea, I was thinking of that. I'm not too sure if I would wnt the rough finish there though. Dids yours seem to fade bad up there? I have been looking at the LineX spray in bedliners.
Old 04-02-2008, 05:36 AM

I have aluminum diamond plate bedcaps painted black to match my toolbox, front and rear bumpers. Will post a pic when the sun comes up. I wouldnt do plastic personaly because it fades and could scrape off if something with an edge catches it. But it is all up to you.
Old 04-02-2008, 06:31 AM

I have line-x on mine. Almost two years old now, looks like brand new.... I like the rough texture on the bed rails, as I stand on them every once in a while to load something or get in/out of the bed...

Bryan
Old 04-02-2008, 10:42 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
X2 on the spray in bed liner coming over the rails. I did put a black diamond plate cover over the edge of the tail gate to cover a dent in the top.
Old 04-02-2008, 10:56 AM

I think if you check my profile I have a rear shot of 96_12V with diamond-plate bed caps to match the tool box. They were around $60 and specifically purchased to cover up sratches & marks left from a flat cover that was on the bed when I bought the truck, 7 years back. When the cover hinge failed, I threw the cover away and put the toolbox & bedrails. I'll see if I have a better photo to add. I have really liked the ones I have.

On edit: Actually I just looked - gosh those are old images there. It's not the clearest shot for the rails, but I'll get some better ones. Those lower window trims were curling up something fierce! Thankful I replaced them...
Old 04-02-2008, 12:06 PM

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
My spray in liner is almost 8 years old and hasn't faded at all. The truck is white with a black liner which seems to be the most popular. As for the roughness of the finish? They can make it rougher or smoother. The problem with the diamond plate aluminum is it discolors and becomes dull in a short time.
Old 04-02-2008, 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by Busboy
My spray in liner is almost 8 years old and hasn't faded at all. The truck is white with a black liner which seems to be the most popular. As for the roughness of the finish? They can make it rougher or smoother. The problem with the diamond plate aluminum is it discolors and becomes dull in a short time.
Correct you are...I've used the products avalible to re-shine the diamond plate (al) but it's a LOT of work and it does not last long. Don't know how guys with 18 wheelers keep all that so clean. Mine's faded, but dosen't look too bad, it's a truck, after all.
Old 04-02-2008, 09:30 PM

I've got the black diamondplate caps on my truck. I like em, except they don't have the stake pocket holes. Just waitin fer the new plasma cutter ta get here and it will have em.
Old 04-03-2008, 06:30 AM

Originally Posted by OldDodgeOwner
I've got the black diamondplate caps on my truck. I like em, except they don't have the stake pocket holes. Just waitin fer the new plasma cutter ta get here and it will have em.
Are they aluminum, plastic or steel??? If aluminum or plastic, you could cut them out with a router.... that is what I did on my last truck... I drilled a hole, then had the bearing follow the pocket hole in the bed...

Bryan
Old 04-03-2008, 08:18 AM

I believe they're aluminum, they were on the truck when I bought it. I don't have a router that works at the moment. And this'll give me an excuse to play with our new toy lol
Old 04-03-2008, 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by 4xfourfun
... Bushwacker makes a diamond tread plastic bed rail cap called "Diamondback" that look pretty neat. Their website shows them on a third gen. Does anybody have these or any pics of them on a second gen?
I have Bushwacker plastic.... solid, not diamond tread. I love them. Mine are 4yrs old now and all it takes is some Armorall to make them look brand new. I also have the Tailgate cap! Mine take a beating from loading & unloading work stuff and still look good. Have replaced the tailgate cap once (after three yrs). Got beat up pretty good from fork lifts and pallets slidding over it.
They all do a great job of protecting the metal rails and Add some nice contrast on light colored CTD's....IMO.
Not great pics, but.......

RJ
Old 04-03-2008, 10:57 AM

RowJ - what sort of rear bumper is that?

It might be a nice addition to 96_12V...
Old 04-03-2008, 11:36 AM

Ranch Hand...."Cowboy" model....with a 10 inch drop hitch. Comes w/ or w/o bakup lights.

Rj

Quick Reply: Bed Rail Caps....Hmm....