2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

Anyone regret buying a long bed over the short bed QC?

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2008, 09:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For what I do, I couldn't use the longbed. I use the truck for a variety of stuff, but off road is where the shorter wheelbase helps out. Cutting firewood out in the middle of nowhere is alot easier with the shorter truck. I only have to do 3 point turns instead of 12 point turns. Also easier in town and tows great. Sometimes I wish I had the longer bed, but not often...
Old 11-04-2008, 10:10 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I particularly bought a long bed cause I will need it. I sure needed a few times already when I was transporting some construction tools, etc and I needed all the room of the long bed. I made wise choice on that one.
Old 11-04-2008, 11:23 PM

Man you guys are great, thanks for all the input!
Old 11-05-2008, 10:20 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have a short bed truck and so far it does everything I need. I do not have a tool box in it, instead I have removable chests. Every tool box I have seen is full of junk that people keep there for years without using, so I chose not to.
My truck fits into a 20' garage, which I like during hail storms.
I tow a 10,000# trailer routinely and have no problems; I am sure a long bed would not be worse at that.
When I go off road, shorter wheel base is an advantage, I can think of at least two times when I would have never made the turns with another 5" of length, let alone 24". But those situations are few and far between.
If you haul a gooseneck, hay or firewood, get a long bed. If you live in a city and carry cargo only here or there, and want to garage the truck, short bed's limited cargo capacity may not be an issue.
Old 11-05-2008, 02:23 PM

The garage is what's holding me up, the more I think about it we have nasty spring/summer storms here in KS.
Old 11-05-2008, 02:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by bent valves
I bought the short box quad cab so it would fit in my garage. .
A longbed Quad Cab will fit in a standard garage (20' deep, I believe). Mine goes inside every night.... even with the bullbar/bumper replacement!
I have all of 6" clearance on each end....... and 2" overhead door clearance with 35" tires and level front end.

RJ
Old 11-05-2008, 04:44 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
The only drawback I've seen from owning mine is that navigating traffic and parking garages takes a little more thought.
But it rides nicer,and bottom line if you have it you don't have to use it BUT if you need it and don't have it your out of luck.
Old 11-06-2008, 11:28 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would have any thing but a long bed QC.
Old 11-06-2008, 08:43 PM
Banned

Love my long bed QC. Would like it better if it had the 03 or bigger cab. At least the bed has as much room as possible. I bought it in case I want to haul something. Parking isn't a big deal. Just back in & use the mirrors to aim.
Old 11-06-2008, 09:01 PM

You didn't ask it this way, but I can tell you I don't regret buying a short bed. It's got a tool box too and it doesn't bother me. I will say my snowmobile no longer fits, but it's a good reason to use the trailer I already own.

Fits good in my garage, maneuverable, etc...

I also fall in the category of a lot of stuff in the box I never use, but in my defense my living situation doesn't allow a lot of storage so I keep any and every oil, grease, tool, lubricant, fuel additive, coolant, straps, tow ropes, chairs, blankets, etc... in it.

Shawn
Old 11-06-2008, 11:56 PM

Sure the long bed takes a lot of room to turn, But I bought my truck to haul stuff. A long bed hauls a lot more stuff! Why have the power of a diesel if you got a little bitty bed?
Old 11-08-2008, 10:48 AM

When is a trk not a trk ?...maybe when it can not get a sheet of plywood in w.o. a calculus computer ...unload the mail...get rid of a tow chain..put the gate dwn or off....might as well have a Pinto LOL
ck my sig, would never be happy with a smaller box, bigger yes.
PS park is not a problem either
Old 11-08-2008, 12:28 PM

I don't know about you guys, but I could have easily bought a 2500 gasser, but I went diesel to tow? Everyone has their own uses, but I just don't use my bed. I tow a camper, snowmobile trailer, dump trailer, utility trailer, etc...

If I want plywood? Well, I've got a trailer or my dads dually to use. For how little I use my bed though, it just didn't make sense to get a long bed.

Everyone has different uses, preferences, etc... though. Just gotta think to yourself "what is this REALLY gonna get used for?"
Old 11-08-2008, 12:30 PM
JAX

I love my longbed, period. My MIL's boyfriend has an 01 sb and he has had trailer to back window contact more than once with his GN camper I can see someone that tows often but does not need the payload capacity buying a sb, but that's the only pro I can see to buying a sb, not that it really has any advantages over the lb though. I no longer live in an urban environment, but to me, because of the coil sprung front ends on our trucks, they have never been hard to manuver in any environement (IMO). Now, a leaf sprung powerchoke, that's a whole different situation. If you plan on using your truck as a truck, get the long box. If you want a big car with a lot of power to tow with, get the short box.
Old 11-08-2008, 12:37 PM

Agree with everyone else---if you want a tool box then go with a long bed...Where I go to college its a pain to park considering I have roughly 2-3in on each side of truck to get out--so i go early and let small cars park by me but the aisle in between rows is also too small which is part of the prob. But I have lived with it for 3yrs.

Quick Reply: Anyone regret buying a long bed over the short bed QC?