2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

Anybody try those Balance Bags inside your tires?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2010, 11:20 PM

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Anybody try those Balance Bags inside your tires?

Hello all!

Pretty annoyed tonight! I am very new to Dodge trucks and have never owned a diesel before. The learning curve is steep although I am trying hard to learn as fast as I can.

I had new tires put on the truck a couple of weeks ago and I have been unhappy with the ride quality, vibrations and tire wear (yes, already obvious). I noticed that there were no wheel weights on the outside edges of the rims where you would normally expect to see the weights - I DID PAY for wheel balancing. So, I figured that maybe they had just balanced the wheels on the inside edge of the rim. God, I can talk myself into just about anything!

Anyway, took it to the shop today and the senior wrench confirmed that the wheels had not been balanced. The youngster who initially installed the wheels came out and said "so the weight bags didn't work, eh?" (Yes, I'm in Canada, eh!). This was news to me that he had even tried using these miracle in-the-tire weights. On the way home I said to myself - ***? Why would they use these very pricey items in a daily driver, trailer towing truck tire? Makes no sense to me and I think the kid was just trying to cover his goof up.

So, has anyone out there in Dodge Truck land ever heard of these weight bags being used in a truck application?

Many, many other questions for y'all - just too tired tonight to burp out a lot of posts.

Cheers!

Mike
Old 05-08-2010, 12:17 AM

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
Why yes mike

Powder balancing and bead balancing are what I prefer to use.

Stick on weights inside the rim is the second choice, and ugly clamp on rim weights are at the bottom of the list.

If the inside of the tire is dry, along with the rim, and the proper amount of balancing compound is used, the only smoother ride you might find, is with centramatics. That said, if the tire guy goofs up, compound balancing can be your worst enemy.
Old 05-08-2010, 04:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just received my Centramatic balancers yesterday. Will install them Monday and report. $197 delivered and they seem to be of high quality....
Old 05-09-2010, 08:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Centramatic's took out a vibration I had been living with for over 300,000 miles!
Old 05-09-2010, 09:06 PM

Hi All! Thanks for your replies!

I am unsure what Centramatics are and so I will do some internet research in the next few weeks. I had the shop balance the tires the old ugly way. I can't believe what a difference it made - the truck drives like new, very straight, no vibrations, steering wheel feels lighter and the whole dang truck just feels better! I can't believe that the youngster at the shop let the truck out the door without balancing the tires.

I am relieved that at least the beast is rolling smoothly now - even if the wheels look ugly with the weights hanging off of the rims. I may look at improving the cosmetics after I get a few other more pressing purchases looked after.

I also got the radio upgrade/replacement finished today. I went with a Pioneer HU and speakers. It sounds soooooo much better than the old factory unit.

Cheers Folks!

Mike
Old 05-10-2010, 07:44 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The Centramatic balancer looks very interesting. Thanks for posting the info. I will be in Arlington, TX tomorrow. If I have time I may stop at their shop.

Centramatic
Old 05-10-2010, 08:36 AM

Big rigs use them a lot, I have them on two of my Dodge trucks now.
Made a big difference on my "99" and not so much on my 2001 but if a person loads up a rim with dirt they balance on the go.
Old 05-10-2010, 09:29 AM

I use the balancing beads - wont ever go bak to hammer on weights. My old 98 rides smooth as glass on mud tires.

www.innovativebalancing.com

or

www.counteractbalancing.com
Old 05-10-2010, 09:53 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
All of my vehicles including both trucks have used balance beads for over five years without one problem.
I'll never go back to spin balance lead weights, it's ancient technology that just makes money for the tire companies.
Read the fine print on your tire warranty, it says they have to be balanced every 20k miles or the warranty is void. With beads it only has to be done once.
Beads are cheaper than spin/lead balancing.
I'll bet the kid didn't do anything at all to your tires and was just covering his butt.
Old 05-10-2010, 10:45 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I went with the Centramatics because they are easy to take with you if you sell your truck and you don't have to add stuff to your tires when you get new ones. We'll see how mine work. Just put them on today and will give a report in the next few days. I got mine from NWTruckworks.com . Fast shipping and great price....

http://www.nwtruckworks.com/centrama...rn-p-3191.html
Old 05-10-2010, 02:54 PM

Where I used to work we sold quite a few centramatics to truck companies, all had positive things to say abt em. I never tried em on my truck, but I am running Equal (sand basically) My truck rides very smoothly with it, I wonder if they didnt put enough in maybe? But yeah, centramatics are the way to go, one time purchase and they last the life of multiple vehicles, easy install, barely see em with the wheel on, constantly readjusting balance, and no more ugly lead hangin off your expensive wheels
Old 05-10-2010, 07:54 PM

i have used the balancing beads for 2 years [ you have to get the correct weight of bag of beads for your tire size ] it used to be a bag of sand, but most people use the beads now. after using these i would never even think about sticking or pounding any weights on my rims.
Old 05-11-2010, 05:14 PM

WOW! Thanks again for all of the good feedback to my question guys! I am going to go with the Dyna Beads http://www.dynabeads.ca/ as soon as I get a couple of other items bought. Even with the ugly old pounded on lead weights the truck rides so much better!

Thanks again everyone!

Mike