2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

antifreeze inside cab

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2003, 07:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
antifreeze inside cab

hi first time posting hope it works. great web site ive learned<br>alot from it but now its time for a guestion. yesterday i noticed antifreeze onthe floor on the passenger side of the cab. with all the duct and fan housings i cant see where its coming from. ialso found a leak on one of the heater hoses under the hood where it goes thru the fire wall. my guestion is, would the water be able to seep through thewall in that spot and cause the leak inside or do i not want here about the other theory im toying with,(heater core). thnx
Old 06-24-2003, 08:24 PM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

Received 172 Likes on 131 Posts
Re:antifreeze inside cab

Chances are that if the leak is on the engine side of the firewall that all you have to do is change a hose. Yes, IMO it is possible for the anti-freeze to work it's way into the cab area from the engine bay. Suggest that you dry everything off carefully and then run the engine for a short while and check again. Starting with a dry line you stand a better chance of quickly locating the source of the leak. Don't drive it after you have dried the line as the air moving air could blow the anti-freeze around and give you a bum steer. Just run the engine.<br>
Old 06-24-2003, 11:11 PM

Sounds like you have a heater core leaking, sorry to say.
Old 06-24-2003, 11:37 PM

I would doubt a heater core on a '99. Although it's possible it's not probable - IMHO.<br><br>Stan
Old 06-25-2003, 07:03 AM

When I was teenager wrenching on my first car, I decided to change the heater hoses, giving them a good yank at the heater core nipples to remove. Test drive revealed a crack in the heater core nipple right at the bend. One of my first wrenching lessons learned. ;D<br><br>I do have to admit, while washing down my engine, the carpet got wet, how did the water get in? The holes that the heater hoses go through at the firewall. Some of that &quot;rope caulk/putty stuff&quot; took care of that! Only 5 minutes to apply, just dry/clean the suspected entrance point and pack it in there. It's like a soft tacky, putty that never gets hard. If it still leaks after that, then probably heater core. Use some newspaper on the floor to help absorb coolant and find the leaks. Good luck, Kevin
Old 06-26-2003, 07:39 PM

sorry about the delay in getting back to u guys. i replaced the heater hose and so far no more water in the cab. i will definetly be getting some of that caulk/putty stuff. still you would have thought that dodge would have done that to begin with. thnx for your input.
Old 06-27-2003, 12:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just for the record I have a '99 with a bad heater core. I have put off pulling the dash, the air conditioning, steering column, etc. It would almost be easier to replace the cab.