2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

alternator HOT

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2005, 07:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
alternator HOT

The last couple of days I noticed the Volt meter gauge reading lower but not low anough to give warning light. And it seems to come up when the RPM goes up to driving speed. When I am driving with no lights or blower the meter reads just a little above 14, BUT when I turn lights on and blower on at idle I can see the volt meter drop. It will rise when engine speed rises but not to 14 with the lights and blower. When I got to work I touched the alternator and it was hot, so I put a temp gun on it 220 degres that don't sound right. When it cools off I will pull the belt and spen it to see how it sounds and feels.
Anybody have any experience on this.
Thanks
Mike.
Old 11-22-2005, 07:51 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Sounds like the alternator is getting weak. Is it the original? You can try replacing the brushes for $30. (worked for me @ 180K miles) or they sell rebuilt alternators at the local parts store also. They can test your alternator also to see if it's weak.

Larry B's link has lots of info. Brand new alternators also.

http://www.fostertruck.com/dodge/default.htm
Old 11-22-2005, 08:50 AM

Thanks for the reply. My original window sticker says I have a 136 AMP alternator. (tow package) All I can find is 120 AMP.
I will go to Napa and take my old one there. Should I get a new one or a rebuilt one. Any experience with Napa Alternators.
And yes the alternator is original.
I would get it from Foster truck But like everything else I need it now before I hurt something else.
Thanks Again
Mike
Old 11-22-2005, 10:27 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by mrwaters
Thanks for the reply. My original window sticker says I have a 136 AMP alternator. (tow package) All I can find is 120 AMP.
I will go to Napa and take my old one there. Should I get a new one or a rebuilt one. Any experience with Napa Alternators.
And yes the alternator is original.
I would get it from Foster truck But like everything else I need it now before I hurt something else.
Thanks Again
Mike
I would go with the 135 amp alternator. You'll have time to order it. It won't die in 3 days. (knock on wood )
Old 11-22-2005, 02:04 PM

Well I know it is charging, My main concern is it burning up and catching on fire I took off the belt and it spins very smooth, It just gets soo hot up to 200 degrees even just after starting it. I hate to throw money at it. and not be the problem. I still need to take it in and get tested.
Thanks
Mike
Old 11-22-2005, 02:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wonder if your grid heaters are stuck on?? bad relay or?? them puppies draw some juice.
Old 11-22-2005, 04:25 PM

I unhooked the grids to take that out of the equasion.
I also stoped at Napa on the way home they used a little handheld computer on the drivers side battery and said everything was fine. They also said that is normal for the high amp alternators to be hot.
Can somebody check thers to see if its hot. you can touch it but only for a split second. my handheld temp meter read 190. and its hot after running for couple minutes.

I might not have a problem, I think that reading all the post that I did yesterday might make me think I have a problem. I dont know.

Mike
Old 11-22-2005, 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by mrwaters
I unhooked the grids to take that out of the equasion.
I also stoped at Napa on the way home they used a little handheld computer on the drivers side battery and said everything was fine. They also said that is normal for the high amp alternators to be hot.
Can somebody check thers to see if its hot. you can touch it but only for a split second. my handheld temp meter read 190. and its hot after running for couple minutes.

I might not have a problem, I think that reading all the post that I did yesterday might make me think I have a problem. I dont know.

Mike
How many miles are on your truck
Old 11-22-2005, 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by dbrick
How many miles are on your truck
186 K and yes its the original alternator, I think I am going to order some brushes from LarryB's,
I know its about time for the bolt on stuff to go bad, I just dont want to change parts that were not bad, I hear alot of that going on around the board.
Old 11-22-2005, 11:13 PM

Yeah I need to do that too. My mileage is pretty close to yours. I bought Larrys starter contacts and caught that just in time.
You should be able to have the alternator tested for output
Old 11-23-2005, 11:53 AM

That temp doesn't surprise me at all... 190° air blowing over it, and it generating its own heat...
Old 11-23-2005, 12:27 PM

Temp doesn;t surprise me but I am not sure that is normal- with the other reported issues I would say brusher are an issue- or the bearings may still be going- free spinning without the belt on doesn;t mean the bearings are not worn and generating heat.

Also- every rebuilding company for the alts that deals through a national auto parts chain only rates the alts at 120 since that is the standard rating however the alt normally produces more than that anyway- mine from CAP was tested to 170Amps per the QC sticker on it out of the box- don;t bother with a factory 136Amper it's not worth the cost. If in doubt go to the local parts store and ask to see the alt before you buy it (you should always do that anyway to make sure they have a new one in the box and not a core return by mistake) look for the sticker and check it out.
Old 11-23-2005, 02:33 PM

How old are your batteries ? I'ld load test Alt. then hook up an amp gauge and drive everything off 1st then one at a time to see if theres a large draw from somethig , most of your power comes out of good batteries , the Alt. amps are for fast charging and keeping up with load , not the main source of power.
Old 11-24-2005, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by John Faughn
How old are your batteries ? I'ld load test Alt. then hook up an amp gauge and drive everything off 1st then one at a time to see if theres a large draw from somethig , most of your power comes out of good batteries , the Alt. amps are for fast charging and keeping up with load , not the main source of power.
My batteries are 3 1/2 years old they are the 1000 amp yellow wal mart ones. It might be about time for them, they been through 3 New England winters and one hot florida summer.
I will get both load tested, I am also going to get some alt brushes from LarryB's.
Thanks for all the info.
Mike
Old 11-25-2005, 12:02 AM

My $0.02...
Like ESKIMO said! I'm not surprised it is ONLY 220DegF.. THey can run hotter! Hot enough to make you think they're gonna blow any minute.

On my old Chebby, I just always rebuilt the OEM alt myself... Brushes were pretty much all it needed each time it started getting puny... ~$6.00 last I bought some...
Slathered some more high-temp grease in the back needle brg and away she went for another 150k or so...

Geico: $30 brushes??? Egad!

Quick Reply: alternator HOT