2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

advice on programmers

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2010, 10:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
advice on programmers

well, i am back in the dodge family.......buddy called and said he was selling my old truck and i bought it back!!! i am giddy like a school girl about getting it back. it is a 2000 2500 4x4 cummins auto reg cab. i have already done the 4''exhaust from turbo back, huge air filter, fuel pressure gauge, electric pump. i am thinking now about adding a guage pod and a programmer to it. i am looking at adding fuel mileage and maybe a little more power. i dont need anything insane....it will be an everyday driver and tow an 18ft trailer every now and then with a compact tractor, building materials, etc....any thoughts or recomendations? i would prefer something that is install and forget.....i have a '53 m37 powerwagon that i am wanting to finish and dont want to be tweaking the 3/4 ton everyday. thanks in advance guys......man it is great to be back in a cummins!!!!!!
Old 10-16-2010, 12:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My advice, get edge j/a or Adr, it provides you with gauges/safety warning/defueling, besides being to change power settings on the fly (you cannot do that with a programmer)

if your buying gauges and a programmer your gonna spend more than EW/A and end up with products that cant do near as much.

programmer is about 60hp, and any changes to settings require you to stop and run the programmer.

EJ/A its push button on the fly, with all the adjustments it allows you to tow safely if you set all the parameters you dont want your engine to exceed,

EJ/A without the wire tap installed gives you approx 60hp as well

do the math, gauges plus programmer (and be careful some programmers are well known to lock/freeze your ECM) then compare to EJ/A as for cost comparisons,

do a search on the forum this topic has been beat to death
Old 10-16-2010, 12:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by safirenfish
.... i dont need anything insane....it will be an everyday driver and tow an 18ft trailer every now and then ....... i would prefer something that is install and forget.....
I'd get the Smarty! Best timing set on on the market, IMO, and very smooth fuel flow control.
Honest 60 hp but drives like more.
And.... no wiring needed.

RJ