2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

Adjusting Rear Disc Brakes on 2002

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2008, 09:39 AM
Chapter President

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If they are already adjusted fully in, I think it is time for new E-brake shoes.
Old 12-19-2008, 10:00 AM
I wish I was as fine, as those who work the pipeline!

Originally Posted by haloman
If they are already adjusted fully in, I think it is time for new E-brake shoes.
Okay, don't think I made myself clear. I don't think the star wheels have been adjusted just the cable. Do you think I should just bite the bullet, start from scratch and redo everything??
Old 12-19-2008, 11:11 AM

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
you might yet get away with adjusting the star wheel setup within the e-brake assembly.

jack the rear of the truck off the ground, then adjust the starwheels. tighten until you feel a slight drag, then back them off a bit.

See if your park brake works. If not, you may to go with new shoes. Many times, you will see guys adjust the cable to compensate for e-brake wear. not the best choice.
Old 12-19-2008, 11:15 PM

Received 152 Likes on 131 Posts
Let me possibly save you some time/trouble. The adjuster nut you mention under the cab should not be messed with: it was preset at the factory so your e-brake pedal had the proper feel for setting the e-brake.

The rubber plugs are the same used to cover the adjuster on drum brakes. They are shaped like a large tic tac on end, but flat. They look like metal but just pry out like advised. A brake adjuster works better than a big screwdriver and allows easier access to the adjustment process.

On my truck one side was bottomed out and stuck and the other star wheel was really hard to turn. I ended up pulling both rear rotors and dissassembling and lubing them with anti-sieze and putting everything back, then adjusting them the conventional way, jacked up and turning the tire until I felt a slight drag. this worked great and I haven't needed to touch them in over a year and a half and they hold fast.

The drivers side wheel needs to be turned DOWN to tighten.

The passenger side gets turned UP to tighten. Good luck.

Kurt
Old 12-20-2008, 06:36 AM

Originally Posted by pind
you might yet get away with adjusting the star wheel setup within the e-brake assembly.

jack the rear of the truck off the ground, then adjust the starwheels. tighten until you feel a slight drag, then back them off a bit.

See if your park brake works. If not, you may to go with new shoes. Many times, you will see guys adjust the cable to compensate for e-brake wear. not the best choice.
Thanks pind,

I guess worse case I have to replace the old shoes but I will have the rear end off the ground already anyway.

Regarding the cable adjustment, just back it off all the way, adjust the e brakes and then adjust the cable for best brake pedal position?

How far down should the pedal drop before the e brakes engage fully?

Thanks again

Hey by the way, nice dozer, couple of places in IL and DC I'd like to test your blade on!!!
Old 12-21-2008, 01:21 PM

I wouldn't mess with the cable adjuster at all at this point, I would adjust it at the brakes and see if you can't get it to work properly there. After you get that working I would evaluate how the pedal feels and if it's at full engagement at the very top, or doesn't engage even when on the floor, go back and adjust the cable.

Honestly a good afternoon of just dinking around under the truck would probably solve the problem, I'm sure once you get to messing with it the proper course of action will become readily apparent and you'll get it fixed up in no time! Also might not be a bad idea (since you were inquiring about it) to snag some pictures while you're under there and post them up, so if someone is searching for the same problem down the road there are some reference pictures.
Old 12-21-2008, 04:53 PM

Maybe this will help a little.

Old 12-22-2008, 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by JHew84
Also might not be a bad idea (since you were inquiring about it) to snag some pictures while you're under there and post them up, so if someone is searching for the same problem down the road there are some reference pictures.
I could not see the adjuster locations at first, they were packed in with dirt.

I ended up taking off the wheels to check the shoes to make sure they were still okay. SLIM51015 thanks for the diagram. Made sure to clean up and lube the mechanisms while I was in there.

Driver side adjusters are on top, passenger side are on the bottom. If you are doing this for the first time, do the driver side first, they are harder. While adjusting the star wheels, you can feel them tighten up when the shoes come in contact with the hat drums. At that point I gave then two adjustments back, and it seemed to be just right. On my truck, the driver side adjusted up to get the shoes to move out to meet the drums, passenger side was the opposite.

The adjusters are located in the depressions by the letters BR. Inside of the depressions is the rubber dust plug that you must remove to get to the star wheel. Don't forget your flashlight!!!! Pind was right you will need it. GFB was right also, first time is a real Bummer after that it's a breeze.

If someone has tightened your cable adjuster in the past, back it 90% of the way off. Adjust the star wheels and then re-tighten the cable back up. Check your pedal while you do. Set your brake and release it a few times, it comes up really fast, just don't get it to tight or you will wear the shoes faster.

Thanks For all your help guys. Hopefully this post will come in handy for others in the future.

Hey pind, it's not a pretty rear end, but at least my wife didn't mind me taking a close up of it!!!!

Hope these pics help.
Attached Thumbnails Adjusting Rear Disc Brakes on 2002-driver-side-adjuster.jpg   Adjusting Rear Disc Brakes on 2002-driver-side-adjuster2.jpg   Adjusting Rear Disc Brakes on 2002-adjuster-no-rotor.jpg   Adjusting Rear Disc Brakes on 2002-pasenger-side-adjuster.jpg   Adjusting Rear Disc Brakes on 2002-pasenger-side-adjuster2.jpg  

Old 12-22-2008, 07:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks for the pics wyododge. I swear I've looked under there a dozen times and gave up because I basically saw nothing that could be a rubber plug area. I'm gonna try it tomorrow....
Old 01-05-2009, 12:19 AM

Hey ADMIN People,

Any chance that you can change the title of this thread to adjusting rear e brakes on 2002 w/ discs.

I wouldn't look like such a pin head that way!!!!

Thanks Guys