2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

AC Orifice tube mysteries

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2022, 09:40 AM
APD

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
AC Orifice tube mysteries

So Im about to replace my accumulator and possibly my liquid line on my 1997 cummins 2500.
I Did a parts search and youtube video search and Im getting conflicting information.

I can buy a liquid line with or without orifice tube
I can buy a separate orifice tube (little plastic screen thing for $2)
Also some of the accumulators come with the orifice tube part.

Some say the orifice tube is in the liquid line and cant be replaced, the entire metal line needs replaced. So why is there a part available?
These videos show a liquid line with a small crimp at the location of the O tube. Mine does not have this.
The only crimp I see is on the condenser tube right where it attaches to the liquid line. Is there an O tube in there? See pic

The factory service manual says to disconnect the liquid line at the condenser and remove the O tube with needle nose pliers. But the manual is for all engines and the gas AC system is different.
Maybe these are parts catalog errors and the non-replaceable type is for the 24 valve engines?
Im thinking the O tube is in the condenser where Im pointing in the pic.
Can someone confirm where the orifice tube is located on a 1997?

Old 05-14-2022, 05:41 PM
APD

Well I figured it out.
Orifice tube is in the condenser where I was pointing to in the pic.
The following users liked this post:
nothingbutdarts (05-16-2022)
Old 05-16-2022, 10:55 AM

Received 94 Likes on 88 Posts
I'm a bit surprised there was only one section for both fuel types if there was a difference - the actual FSM (factory service manual) usually has separate sections for areas where gas and diesel differ, or the difference is at least shown in the drawings.

What you may be thinking of as parts catalog errors may be "part number consolidation" - combining two previous part numbers into one to reduce manufacturing and inventory costs.

I'm glad you figured it out.
Old 05-17-2022, 11:53 AM
APD

It is the actual FSM that I have.
They mention differences between gas & diesel in the text and drawings, but they did not note any differences regarding the orifice tube. My guess is that because the O tube is located in the same place on both engines, so the procedure would be the same. My FSM is only for 1997.
My confusion came from watching the YouTube videos on 2nd gen. diesels, where guys were saying that you have to replace the entire liquid line. And then finding liquid lines being sold both "with O tube" or "without O tube" for my 1997. In hindsight, I think those videos may have all been 24 valve engines

Had I just followed the FSM instructions, I wouldn't have been confused.