2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

ABS Light Stays on... Not brake light

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2006, 09:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ABS Light Stays on... Not brake light

Hi, so the ABS light stays on in my truck. Been like that since I bought the truck a few months back. The brake light does NOT stay on. So it's just the ABS light that's on. The ABS has engaged a few times when I'm braking almost at a complete stop. For example, when I'm parking. Anyone have any ideas as to what could be the problem?
Old 08-21-2006, 11:06 PM
Banned

Wish I could tell you except I'm fighting the same dang thing cept my brake light is on also. I've replaced both front sensors and the rear one to no avail. The lights will randomly go off and turn back on and when they are off and I'm coming to a stop ABS tries to kick in. I think I'm just going to pull the fuse and quit worrying about it. I like not having it to much.
Old 09-18-2006, 04:56 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by wcbcruzer
Hi, so the ABS light stays on in my truck. Been like that since I bought the truck a few months back. The brake light does NOT stay on. So it's just the ABS light that's on. The ABS has engaged a few times when I'm braking almost at a complete stop. For example, when I'm parking. Anyone have any ideas as to what could be the problem?
Check out this thread. My truck, your truck and bigblue's are acting very similar. Except in my truck's case, my brake light or ABS light, neither one have came on the first time ... except during the key on test sequence. We need to get our heads together and figure this out for ourselves ... and future victims.

I've seen no other cases, but us 3 who have this sort of problem.
Old 09-18-2006, 06:50 PM

well, I have an older first gen, and agree, both my lights are on, Brake and ABS, the Brake is always on but the ABS comes off and on. The previous owner put black electrical tape over them. I really dont care much because it still stops fine, no air in the lines, and everything works.
Wheelo
Old 09-18-2006, 06:59 PM
Banned

I dunno what happened on mine but they suddenly turned off just as oddly as they turned on. Maybe my truck fixes itself.
Old 09-18-2006, 07:29 PM

my abs light is awalys on and has only turned off 2 times in 6 months the brake light seems to fix itself after beeing on every ounce and a while.
Old 09-18-2006, 07:32 PM

no fix here but I too am a victim of the abs as well as the brake lights in the dash. mine both come on at the same time which is at 65 mph. then once the rig is turned off they don't come on until 65 again. the codes pulled off are 71 & 72. the local shop said the dealer was gonna have to re flash the computer to clear the codes, or replace the computer. so I just let it shine since the brakes work flawlessly. I would like to know if there is another fix so keep the posts coming
Old 09-18-2006, 10:26 PM

Could be a broken wires. I had that problem, although it was the rear sensor, so I lost my speedo too. Eventually tracked it down, and it went away. I don't know a broken wire would cause the ABS to actually kick in, but it wouldn't hurt to check.

Now the lights come on every once again (about once every month) after going faster than 40 mph. According to the haynes manual, that has to do with the brake switch, but it checks out every time I take the multitester to it.
Old 09-19-2006, 08:51 AM
Banned

dodgetech77 said this on the thread I linked previously. It makes sense to me. What do you guys think?

Originally Posted by dodgetech77
Id pull the diff cover and check to see of the tone ring is damaged. I had one a couple months ago at the shop that the trac lock retainer came apart and smashed a tooth on the tone ring and caused the same condition
My truck could use a rear diff fluid change anyway. But, to be honest, I've never cracked one open. Don't know if I'd know what a tone ring, trac lock, or the retainer were if I were looking at them?
Old 09-21-2006, 09:02 PM

Actually, on my previous truck (95 Ram 2500 CTD), I pulled the connector the the ABS module under the hood on the driver's side to gain access to something. When I plugged it back in, the ABS light came on and stayed on. So I just fiddled with the plug and the light turned off. Could be an easy fix for some of you.
Old 09-21-2006, 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by JyRO
dodgetech77 said this on the thread I linked previously. It makes sense to me. What do you guys think?

My truck could use a rear diff fluid change anyway. But, to be honest, I've never cracked one open. Don't know if I'd know what a tone ring, trac lock, or the retainer were if I were looking at them?
Make sure you jack up the rear and put it on jack stands so you can pput the truck in netural and turn the ring gear and carefully inspect each tooth. also look for debris in the bottom of the diff. Big pieces
Old 07-27-2021, 07:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2000 2500 4X4. For some unknown reason the ABS light and the brake light have started to come on when the brakes are applied. They will reset when the key is turned to the off position but come back on when the brakes are applied. All the gages seem to work normally, and the brakes seem to work . A local mechanic told me it might be a sensor or the ABS module. Any help is appreciated.

Last edited by jda51; 07-27-2021 at 09:30 PM. Reason: wrong word