2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

'99 dashboard is self destructing

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2005, 08:28 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
'99 dashboard is self destructing

Is there a decent aftermarket dash replacement? Mopar wants $500 for the stupid piece of plastic. Everywhere there is a monting screw into the firewall the dash has cracked, some place so bad that the defroster vents are now a seperate piece on their own .
Old 09-05-2005, 08:37 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ya might find a decent one in a junk yard for cheap.
Old 09-05-2005, 10:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Try geno's garage...they list a replacement dash for 120 bucks.
Old 09-06-2005, 10:22 PM

You're not alone. Mine cracked from the windshield all the way down to the airbag for some reason. Fine one day and cracked the next. If you replace it, let me know how it went. The dealer gets like 7hrs to replace it. I could see it being kind of a pain, but 7hrs? Now I remember why I fix stuff myself.
Old 09-06-2005, 10:33 PM

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by TTHA33
You're not alone. Mine cracked from the windshield all the way down to the airbag for some reason. Fine one day and cracked the next. If you replace it, let me know how it went. The dealer gets like 7hrs to replace it. I could see it being kind of a pain, but 7hrs? Now I remember why I fix stuff myself.
You drop the steering column remove the dash entirely from the vehicle, transfer over all the ductwork, complete wiring harness, all the instruments, vent louvres, any miscellaneous trim pieces, then install the whole works, test it all, and reset your radio presets and you think 7 hrs. is out of line? It's very realistic, if not optimistic. Trust me, I've been there several times.
Old 09-07-2005, 03:11 AM

Not only does that sound like a pain, it sounds like a challenge. I guess I'll set the whole day aside for that job. Thanks for the abbreviated install instructions
Old 09-07-2005, 03:31 AM

Originally Posted by TRCM
Try geno's garage...they list a replacement dash for 120 bucks.

Last I checked that's a cover, not a replacement. I have the same problem as the OP but like him have not found a reasonably priced replacement yet. Something about just covering up the horror that has become my dash just doesn't sit well with me.

I'd even do the replacement myself if I had any idea how to get that **** dash out without breaking 10 other things.
Old 09-07-2005, 03:39 PM

I picked up one from a junkyard for $125 -- dash top and front (both of mine were cracked/busted when I bought the truck). There are about a hundred screws and six bolts/nuts. Run a search and you should be able to find detailed instructions (try "dash remove"). It took me most of a Saturday to replace the dash top and front -- took it slow to make sure I didn't miss anything, and cleaned out the air ducts while I had access to them.
Old 09-07-2005, 04:20 PM

Ah crap!!!! I thought I left the crackinh dash syndrom behind when I sold the Chevy??? U guys telling me that this one is going to do it too?? Guess I beeter get a dash mat on it before things go south.
Old 09-07-2005, 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by CSAGrey1
I thought I left the crackinh dash syndrom behind....
Not all trucks seem to have the problem. I believe there was a thread that pointed to only a couple years (00-01?). My current truck originated in AZ -- I'm guessing the extreme heat helped with the cracks. Up here in the North we only have to worry about the extreme cold. My '99 still looked clean after almost 6 years of abuse (with no "cover").
Old 09-07-2005, 04:35 PM

Aaaccckkk. Now I'm REALLY not looking forward to pulling my dash! I have a plugged tube in the A/C evaporator housing thats leaking water on my floor any time I run A/C. I have been postponing removing the dash until I had a bunch of time free.

Jim
Old 09-07-2005, 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by NHDiesel
Aaaccckkk. Now I'm REALLY not looking forward to pulling my dash! I have a plugged tube in the A/C evaporator housing thats leaking water on my floor any time I run A/C. I have been postponing removing the dash until I had a bunch of time free.

Jim
You don't have to remove the dash to gain access to the A/C evaporator. It sounds funny, but you only have to "tilt" the whole dash towards the seats. There is a detailed thread with everything needed to gain access to the A/C evaporator and heater core (which also allows you to remove the dash top). Removing the dash is a whole lot more effort due to the screws hidden under the dash, behind the air bag, and around the instrument cluster -- don't forget to disconnect both batteries so you don't set off the airbag and need to change shorts...

Try this link for instructions on "tilting" the dash: https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...t=dash+replace

NHDiesel, make sure you actually have a plugged tube before tearing into the dash -- there are also several threads regarding the need to add an extra "drip tube" to keep water from coming back inside (been there).
Old 09-07-2005, 04:59 PM

don't forget to disconnect both batteries so you don't set off the airbag and need to change shorts...

That has got to suck!!!
Old 09-07-2005, 06:59 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by NHDiesel

Jim
Can I assume you already tried to snake it out from the opening under the truck?

Chris
Old 09-11-2005, 03:36 AM

Two bolts that hold the steering column. Let it drop to the seat. (If you have a auto - unhook the string to the PRND21 pointer...)

From the linked thread, I found this confusing. WTH is a PRND21 pointer?

Quick Reply: '99 dashboard is self destructing