2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

98 extended quad cab project

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2011, 01:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
98 extended quad cab project

So in a year or so, my family will probably find my quad cab truck too small for camping and road trips. I finally have the engine and trans dialed in, and am converting to 3500 running gear all around, w/ air bags in the rear. The quad cab doors are fine, but the rear needs more leg room, even for a kid. My idea is to graft the rear 12" of a club cab to the back of a quad cab, and solve the problem. I'd block off the club cab window openings, and just leave the flipper windows on the rear quad cab doors. Any input? As it stands, I'll source a quad cab shell locally, whack the rear off of a club cab (plentiful), and get it together at my shop before transferring al of the interior and glass over. After all, it's my daily ride. I'm on a quad cab/ 6' bed frame, so may have to extend the frame to the rear a bit to make the 6' flatbed fit. Trying to keep it short and narrow, and 12 valve of course. So, anyone have a bare quad cab cab for sale?
Old 08-02-2011, 08:09 PM

Man I hate to see you cut up a rare cab. You have opening rear doors?
Old 08-03-2011, 12:58 PM

I was at the wreckers yard today, there were 5 quad cab trucks. $200 for the bare cab with doors and nothing else. They are all pre 98 so I dont think my dash will bolt in, but my point is, the cabs are out there. I don't intend to cut mine, it's mint. BUT I will build and paint another shell and then transfer all of the bits over. After some measuring, seems like a straightforward project. Biggest question is how much length do I add?
Old 08-03-2011, 03:07 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Search for my thread in conversions. If I were you, I would cut the cab after the suicide door and before the back of the cab. You can snap a chalk line straight down the cab here. Extend this section 8-10" as then you only have to "add-in" frame, body, electrical, brake & fuel line and driveshaft. Less than half the work of adding an entire cab and enough room for someone over the age of 10 to ride in the back. This is pretty much exactly what I am going to do....someday.
2nd Gen Megacab member #1
Old 09-15-2011, 09:12 AM

So after more research and lots of reading, specifically here
http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/au...onversion.html
I've got a good idea as to what the obstacles of this project are, and what I need to gather ahead of time. The prospect of swapping my wiring harness and interior to another cab has me thinking that I should maybe just extend the cab that I have, but I still may source another cab. Currently I am building a 6'6" aluminum flatbed for the rear of my truck, and when it's ready will install it along with a narrow Dana 80 dual wheel rear. I plan to add airbags to the 2500 springs instead of using the 3500 springs, but I have them in case I change my mind down the road. The cab stretch will be 9-10 inches, behind the quad cab doors. So, the entry and exit will still be tight, but plenty of room for 3 kids, 2 adults, or most importantly a dog. I have the rear section of a club cab truck that is complete from the rear door jambs back, and after lots of time measuring at the boneyard it seems like it should be a straight forward install. When the cab is ready I will mount the flatbed further to the rear to make room for the cab, I have seen several other dodge trucks running 12" frame extensions on the rear so I don't think it will be a problem. So, this is the plan currently, I hope to get started in the next week or two.

Finding the right seat and buttoning up the interior may be a pain,
Old 09-16-2011, 07:49 AM
Administrator

Received 172 Likes on 130 Posts
You know, I keep having a dream about a Megacab 2nd gen.

I need to do a bit of measuring, think about it, cut a Mega 3rd gen behind the windshield post and thru the floor at the back, cut your 2nd Gen ext. cab at the post and thru the floor, splice in, use the 2nd gen front doors, Mega rear doors with 2nd gen skins............... Hmmmmmmmm...........
Old 09-16-2011, 08:05 PM

esde,
You don't need a new axle to go to a narrowere dually. Move the brake backing plates inward and put on dually drums, very simple.Here's photos of the finished look.
http://s561.photobucket.com/albums/ss58/whiskers_01/