2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

6 month leave...

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2003, 12:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
6 month leave...

Howdy folks - <br><br>I know this topic probably already came up many times, so if you want you can just point me to the archives that cover it... if not, here is my question:<br><br>It breaks my heart, but I'll need to park my truck for about 6 months somewhere while I'm on an extended leave overseas <br><br>I wanted to ask your opinion on what I should do to the truck before I head out - if there is a list of things to do I would sure appreciate it. <br><br><br><br>
Old 04-07-2003, 01:38 AM

Re:6 month leave...

Top off your fluids, mostly importantly fill the fuel tank. This keeps condensation from collecting in the tank. You might also try a bottle of StaBil, or some other type of fuel stabilizer check to make sure it is diesel compatible first??? I use it every winter for my lawn mower and other small engines as I put them in storage. Remove your batteries and store them in a nice warm place. Get a couple of cheap tarps if you have to store it outside and wrap it up real good. As a former trucker I would be gone for three or four weeks at a time. You would not believe the wear and tear a vehicle endures merely from the elements. Also, you might put the truck up on blocks to keep the tires from sitting in one spot for to long. It does not take long for a deflated tire to become junk when its sitting on a rim. Hope this helps. ;D<br><br>God Bless Our Troops<br>Aaron
Old 04-07-2003, 06:01 AM

Also, close your ventilation system to keep small rodents out, and a few cloth bags of moth ***** in the engine compartment wouldn't hurt either.
Old 04-07-2003, 06:26 AM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

I've seen several posting that Bounce dryer sheets are great at preventing rodent infestations.<br>Just toss a couple under the seats, and a couple in the engine compartment. (remove before starting of course.)<br>Also double-check the air cleaner before starting.<br>
Old 04-07-2003, 07:56 AM

Lots of good advice above, but I never pulled the batteries nor put the vehicles on blocks. My experience was limited to gassers. A fresh oil change is always a good idea.<br><br>Ideally, I think the best thing(s) are to keep it ensured, park it inside (or covered), and leave the keys with someone you trust to start it and move it periodically.
Old 04-08-2003, 09:49 PM

[quote author=Commatoze link=board=5;threadid=13282;start=0#125003 date=1049713274]<br>Also, close your ventilation system...[/quote]<br><br>Other than closing the vents inside the truck, is there something I should close under the hood or elsewhere to prevent the critters from crawling in there!?<br><br>mm