2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

3000 lbs in the bed, special shocks?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2008, 03:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by HOHN
I don't know if that's the case or not, but I have the Camper special package on my shortbed 02. The ride is simply brutal. Running empty, if I hit a REALLY hard bump, it will compress the springs enough to actually let the overloads contact the frame ears-- which is at most 2".

My truck is so ridiculously oversprung it's not even funny.

The Camper pkg also includes the rear sway bar, which makes the rear end even stiffer on uneven bumps because if only one of the rear tires hits a bump, it has to fight the spring rate of BOTH rear springs (well, factored in by the rigidity of the swaybar).

With about 1200 in the bed, the truck rides like a Caddy. But the springs act like 1K is the lightest load they were designed to handle.

It makes sense. Most slide-ins are well over 1K, so I can see why the extra stiffness and especially the sway bar were used.

It's kinda pointless on a shortbed, though. You can't get much of a slide-in for a shortbox.

Needless to say if I ever drop a GN hitch in this thing, it's already sprung to handle it.

h
Man I know EXACTLY how you feel!! I have exactly the same trim package on my truck. When I have about 2000 pounds of sand in the back she rides like a dream, but unloaded, well just hope your belted in tight! My dad doesent even like riding around town in my truck. Although on the highway its not bad, just those little tiny bumps around town.
Old 03-25-2008, 07:40 AM
Administrator

Received 172 Likes on 130 Posts
I have the CS package on my long bed Ext cab, and there are times it hits you, but for the most part, it is like any other 3/4 ton truck.

Glad I never found that grail 98 QC SB I thought I wanted.
Old 03-25-2008, 02:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by patdaly
I have the CS package on my long bed Ext cab, and there are times it hits you, but for the most part, it is like any other 3/4 ton truck.

Glad I never found that grail 98 QC SB I thought I wanted.
I did, and its sounds (and looks like) I've got the CS package. Wheww, its rough on ol' forestry roads, but with 3600lbs of rock in the bed, its nice.
Old 03-25-2008, 11:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I put 2000# of gravel in the back of mine, tipped the scales at 9000# and the truck handled great. Not even a bit of squat. That camper special works wonders for big weights. I've still got original shocks, so I don't know any better about smooth rides....