2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

12 Valve - - Potential Purchase -- Need advice

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2010, 09:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
12 Valve - - Potential Purchase -- Need advice

Good morning. I'm a new member to the DTR site, and was hoping some members could provide insight and/or advice in regard to a potential dodge truck purchase. Been looking at a 1997 2500 12v, club cab, 4wd long box, auto from a dealer in Texas. The truck has 190k+ on it and was a recent trade in. Been looking for a decent truck for a while but didn't want to spend too much as it would be a daily driver vehicle, a little hauling, and most likely some decent mods as time progresses. The truck as zero rust, no dings, dents; after truck was traded in, the tranny went out, and the dealer (Chrysler) had the tranny rebuilt (was completely yesterday). Looking to buy it for $7,900 (that's what they are asking). I live in northern Mn (Duluth) and have had 2 6.0 Fords, and 1 06 Dodge. Never had an issue with cold weather starting (with the Dodge), so i guess I have a few questions regarding this year truck, engine, etc.
1. Is this a decent price? Auction price shows that it's a little high, but not for retail.
2. What should be done for winter? High idle adjustment? Any other precautionary measures to be taken. Specific oil to use, antifreeze??
3. I've asked for the mechanic to change all fluids, make sure all mechanical items, and electrical are in order, and front end, including brakes are checked over and signed off as being in good order. If I buy it, i'm planning on flying down and driving it back.
4. I guess i'm looking for any advice and/or suggestions that would either solidify my decision or deter me in any way.
5. Lastly, any suggestions on modifications that would benefit mileage, power, also suggestions on any tranny mods needed. I was thinking of air intake, straight pipe (not sure on brand), fuel plate mod, potentially injectors next year.

Anyway, I would appreciate it if anyone with knowledge on these trucks chime in and provide some insight. Thank you for your time.
Old 10-15-2010, 10:20 AM

1. price is subjective on these old trucks in my opinion. If you own a 12 valve its priceless. If your selling a 12 valve, its worth what someone is willing to pay...meaning that if someone wants to build a race truck or sled puller with it, or if they know what a gem the 12 valve is, it may be worth more to them than someone looking for a deal on a daily driver. I bought mine 2 years ago for $7500 w/ 193K on it. Original owner, fairly stock, in great shape.
2. Winter oil some will run 10w30. Ive always ran 15w40 all year round. The only high idle I know of on a 12 valve is the stick between the pedal and the steering wheel.
4. all 12 valves should have their KDP (killer dowell pin) tabbed to ensure it does not fall into the timeing cover and damage the gears or worse.
5. All of those mods benefit the 12 valve. Mileage should range between 17-21 mpg depending on load and your right foot.

Good luck on your purchase, the 12 valves are getting harder and harder to find, at least where I am. I dont think there is a more dependable truck engine out there. But I am biased.

Cheers.
Scott
Old 10-15-2010, 11:38 AM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
That truck sounds like a great find, and I agree with everything Scott says. For winter, about all you need is a good winter front (covering the grill), and I'd also add a pad heater to the bottom of the oil pan.

In addition to the dowel pin, you also need to loctite the case bolts. Sometimes the dowel pin can come out and not damage anything, but if one of those bolts comes out, there's no way it's *not* going to do damage, and the damage it does tends to be worse than what the dowel pin is capable of.

For #5, you should also consider bumping up the injection pump timing. 15.5 - 16 degrees is usually good, maybe a little higher if the truck has 4.10 gears instead of 3.54. I'd also get a Mag Hytec double deep transmission pan, and maybe a diff cover too.

Don't forget several fuel filters for the drive back in case you get some bad fuel somewhere.
Old 10-15-2010, 06:50 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Good reading:
http://dieseldatabase.com/read.php?id=58

http://dodgeram.org/support_pgs/diesel_ix.htm

http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/94...s-94-98-a.html

http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/94-98-tech-articles/
Old 10-16-2010, 06:27 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Sounds pretty good to me, you can probably get the price down a little, too. It sounds like a good truck, the rebuild on the tranny is good, I love my 12 valve, so I'd say if you like the older trucks, go for it.
Old 10-16-2010, 08:09 PM

$7900 is about what we will have in our 1998 Quad 4X4 when the auto trans is rebuilt. We never thought finding a second generation 12v 4X4 under $10K was possible unless it had 250K miles. We searched through diesel trucks for over 8 months before we decided we had to get a cummins.