2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

02 drivers power window switch NF at times

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2008, 07:38 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
02 drivers power window switch NF at times

went through the search routine without finding what i was looking for. the drivers side window switch fails to operate the window motor at times and i was looking for causes that have been found previously before i start tearing into things. the window probably hasn't been down 10 times since i bought the truck so switch wear would seem out of the question. it became an issue last weekend when i pulled up to the rangers fee booth at a state park, i pulled in close to the yellow posts so he wouldn't have to leave the concrete pad so i couldn't open the door or open the window. cummins rattlin' away, people stacking up behind me and for some reason the ranger was acting less than amused. any help would be appreciated. thanks.
Old 08-12-2008, 10:32 PM

Received 152 Likes on 131 Posts
The switch gets corroded from rain/snow etc because the cabs curve in steeply at the top for aerodynamics and water drips straight onto the switch. you can dissasemble them and clean them off and try again. This is the cheapest fix. replacing the switch costs more and a wrecking yard replacement may be close to the same condition.

Kurt
Old 08-12-2008, 11:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A real problem with just about any vehicle is the wires that go from the door to the cab it that boot in th door jamb. Easyest way to find this is to hold the window button down grab that boot and sqeeze and wiggle thourghly, If it cuases the window to go down then thats were the problem is. Ethere pull the door panel off and pull the wires back through the cab and fix them or you can cut the boot and repair the wires for an easyer frix. I found the best way to fix thouse wires is to just strip them add a small section of wire to fill the gap and shrink tube it. If you solder them they will fail in a month or two. And butt connectors, well i never use them so I havn't tryed them. But don't recomend them.