1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Cautious

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2009, 09:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cautious

Hi, new to the web site. I need a new injector pump and injectors. Has anyone had any luck with pensacola diesel? and throughbreed diesel?

Desert Hunter
Old 09-15-2009, 11:39 PM

You need to explain a bit more why you need a new Ip and injectors. Also tell us a bit about your truck. Then it will be a lot easier to help you out.

I don't know of the places you mentioned
Old 09-16-2009, 07:03 AM

Desert Hunter fill out your signature so we can see whatcha got. Like Tron said tell us something about your truck and what's happening that makes you believe you need a new IP and new injectors. It might be something that we can help ya with and you won't have to spend some big bucks to replace all this. Good luck and welcome to the forum.
Old 09-16-2009, 01:20 PM

Cautious

Hey Guys, I bought a 1993 w250 Le Cummings club cab 4x4 off an older man has 115k.It was running good for the last 3 months and the started white smoke at idle and missing at acceleration, then would smooth out.The truck had only been driven 400 miles in 2008.I Had injectors checked and they were good.Ran compression and was getting 375 across all 6 cylinders.Also checked cooling no leak down. Finally pulled pump bolts were loose and nut on the front shaft was cross threaded and the key was trashed.I think the pump was running out of time. I bought a new pump from Thoroughbred diesel.com out of Kentucky and decided to put in new Bosch 40+ injectors from Injection Services out of Oregon. The customer service was good. I will post back when I install the parts.

Desert Hunter
Old 09-16-2009, 02:08 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
The other guys will know more about the pump and injectors than me. However, I will tell you that you could lose some friends by adding a G to the word Cummins.

Old 09-16-2009, 03:11 PM

Received 80 Likes on 56 Posts
haha I've been around these things so long I purposely mispronouce and misspell cummings for variety.

Mike/loco1 calls pronounces it cummings as well, I think I stole that habit from him. And nope haven't lost any friends yet haha... then again you have to have friends to be able to lose any.

Cummings/Cummins either way doesn't get under my skin anymore.
Old 10-21-2009, 07:02 PM

1993 Cummins

Well installed the new injector pump and the new 40 hp injectors and the truck is running great. When I pulled the old pump it just fell out the back.The older man I bought this truck from just had the pump replaced last October while on a hunting trip. It was just poor workmanship. I called that shop and told them what for.. So the diagnosis was the pump was loose and running out of time and ruined the pump shaft and key.The injectors where fine but just upgraded.
Attached Thumbnails Cautious-100_2780.jpg  
Old 10-21-2009, 07:44 PM
I grad-u-ated frum Claudes skool of tpying....

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
bummer on the pump looks llike a sweeeeet rig ,is it a auto or a stick ? and welcome
Old 10-21-2009, 07:52 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
That is one nice looking truck. You will like it on this site. Lots of good advice without the explitive you find on so many other sites.
Old 10-21-2009, 10:58 PM

Originally Posted by PapeCAT
haha I've been around these things so long I purposely mispronouce and misspell cummings for variety.

Mike/loco1 calls pronounces it cummings as well, I think I stole that habit from him. And nope haven't lost any friends yet haha... then again you have to have friends to be able to lose any.

Cummings/Cummins either way doesn't get under my skin anymore.
LOL..I do the same thing just to jack others up..Enjoy hearing them, correcting me.. Its fun..
Old 02-08-2010, 10:28 PM

Poor Mileage

Originally Posted by Desert Hunter
Well installed the new injector pump and the new 40 hp injectors and the truck is running great. When I pulled the old pump it just fell out the back.The older man I bought this truck from just had the pump replaced last October while on a hunting trip. It was just poor workmanship. I called that shop and told them what for.. So the diagnosis was the pump was loose and running out of time and ruined the pump shaft and key.The injectors where fine but just upgraded.
Hey All, sorry I haven't been on since last October was to busy chasing waterfowl The truck is running great probably to good!! The only thing new are the toyo muds 285/75/16 and rims. I'm only getting 13 mpgthe new pump is stock. Do you guys think the 40hp injectors and the new tire size would do this? I think a K&N will help what do you think??? or new turbo??
Attached Thumbnails Cautious-000_0472.jpg  
Old 02-08-2010, 10:50 PM

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
The tires aren't helping but if you live north enough for winter diesel I'll guarantee that's why your mileage is low. The new pump I would tend to think would give you better mileage over a used worn one but idk...

I'm only seeing 14mpg if I'm REAL lucky. It's just about exclusively from winter fuel. I'm also running on a stock auto trans which doesn't help.

You could do the common checks though. Check for boost leaks, make sure the air filter is good and clean. when did you last replace the fuel filter? Do you know when the last valve job was done? Again, the tires aren't going to help either though. You'd probably lose a little on that but not much I bet.
Old 02-08-2010, 11:04 PM

Thanks Rick , New fuel filter when i put the pump in? But these guys claiming 20-23 mpg are full of bull!!! This is My 4th diesel cummins and power stroke and the best was around 17mpg
Old 02-08-2010, 11:12 PM

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
I've personally gotten 20mpg on my truck before I started to modify things. 5spd trucks get a lot better mileage than me too though. I do believe it when some guys claim 20-22 mpg empty on the highway if they got a standard, but the auto trucks just don't get it.

Even now in the summer I get 18+ mpg empty on the highway if I keep it around 60-65.

btw, that's a really nice truck!
Old 02-08-2010, 11:21 PM

This is a automatic as well, but still 13 mpg? My 99 24 valve and My 02 stroke were better than this old cool ram. I had a friend tell me the 40 hp injectors were a wast unless you advanced the pump? got me? What about a open thermostat? not letting the truck get up too temp?

Quick Reply: Cautious