24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

You guys running a stock LP and big line kit

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2008, 10:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You guys running a stock LP and big line kit

I was wondering what you see for a pressure drop WOT. I have a vulcan big line kit and relocated the stock LP to a pusher. I have a new LP and at idle its 14 15 psi, but when i get on it i can pull it down to mid single digits pretty easy and i only have RV275's. I was wondering how much the stock fuel tank pick up restricts the flow and if a draw straw would help the situation out. I have been meaning to get the walbro but needed fuel pressure right away and didn't have time to plumb in a regulator and wait for it to come in the mail so i bought a band aid pump again because it was cheap and a fast change out. $60 bucks
Old 03-27-2008, 10:51 PM

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts
with your setup , i think you will be fine.
look at my sig...i'm not worried about my pressure which is about the same as yours
Old 03-27-2008, 11:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The factory fuel module is extremely restrictive in your year truck. A Draw Straw will lower the work required to flood the pump inlet!!

Dave
Old 03-28-2008, 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by johnh
with your setup , i think you will be fine.
look at my sig...i'm not worried about my pressure which is about the same as yours
What does pressure pull down too? Once in a while i hit 2-3 psi maybe my sending unit has something to do with it i am running the electronic quad gauge maybe its a little sensitive.
Old 03-28-2008, 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by Fishin2Deep4U
The factory fuel module is extremely restrictive in your year truck. A Draw Straw will lower the work required to flood the pump inlet!!

Dave
Thats what i was wondering, i plan on going with bigger injectors in little while and was thinking man if it pulls down that far now i am gonna be in trouble. I just helped do an air dog and drawstraw last saturday so i know what i am up against, not to bad of a job being i did the lines and fittings already.
Old 03-28-2008, 04:33 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The main reason for the pressure drop is those d****d banjo fittings. Getting rid of them will be a mojor improvement.
Old 03-28-2008, 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by WestTN
The main reason for the pressure drop is those d****d banjo fittings. Getting rid of them will be a mojor improvement.
They are long gone i have the vulcan big line kit it comes with all new fittings
Old 03-28-2008, 05:18 PM

I have basically the same setup as you (without the box) and had the standard carter pusher pump and did not have it drop quite as far as yours is at WOT. But it was very inconsistent and would drop to nothing after a few months so I went with a Walbro. I have 3/8" line from the tank to the Walbro on the frame and from the Walbro to the FF. Then I have the 1/2" line from the FF to the VP. Mine is 15-16 idle. About 15 driving and WOT is about 14. No hiccups in over a year.
Old 03-28-2008, 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by CORed
I have basically the same setup as you (without the box) and had the standard carter pusher pump and did not have it drop quite as far as yours is at WOT. But it was very inconsistent and would drop to nothing after a few months so I went with a Walbro. I have 3/8" line from the tank to the Walbro on the frame and from the Walbro to the FF. Then I have the 1/2" line from the FF to the VP. Mine is 15-16 idle. About 15 driving and WOT is about 14. No hiccups in over a year.
I plan on putting in a walbro and a draw straw, how did you run your regulator? Did you leave your stock return line in place and run another hose back to the filler neck?
Old 03-29-2008, 10:33 AM

I used the Glacier Diesel regulator solution which is a "T" in the line ahead of the pump that goes back thru the inline regulator (set at about 16 lbs) and back into the filler neck via the supplied part he sent with it. I did not route it back to the return on the plastic fuel canister. I left that all stock.
Old 03-29-2008, 10:54 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I have a big line kit and that's it. Factory original LP still going strong. Still have all the factory tank plumbing and module and all that. LP is not relocated.

I have 13psi or so at idle, 10psi at cruise, WOT about 7.

Works well.
Old 03-29-2008, 11:03 AM

I have had this truck since it had about 72,000 miles on it, now it has about 122,000 and this is LP number 3. The only reason i don't put a good pump on this time was i needed the truck right away to plow snow with and the Cummins dealer in town had LP for 60 bucks easy in easy out.
Old 04-02-2008, 08:32 AM

I was having a problem with my lift pump when doing some normal driving, like fuel pressure dropping down to 3-4psi, so I put together my own fuel system using the walbro GSL 392 mounted right in front of the tank, a half inch drawstraw, half inch hose up to the filter heads (which are mounted on the side of the block where the old lift pump and filter housing used to be), then half inch to the VP. At idle it sits at 17 PSI and about 15 PSI at WOT. The whole setup cost me about $250, which is cheaper than the $600-$800 that it would cost to buy the kits from a place like vulcan performance or glacier diesel.
Old 04-02-2008, 07:17 PM

i have the intank pump can you plug walbro pump in the same connector for power
Old 04-02-2008, 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by jjb3006
I was having a problem with my lift pump when doing some normal driving, like fuel pressure dropping down to 3-4psi, so I put together my own fuel system using the walbro GSL 392 mounted right in front of the tank, a half inch drawstraw, half inch hose up to the filter heads (which are mounted on the side of the block where the old lift pump and filter housing used to be), then half inch to the VP. At idle it sits at 17 PSI and about 15 PSI at WOT. The whole setup cost me about $250, which is cheaper than the $600-$800 that it would cost to buy the kits from a place like vulcan performance or glacier diesel.
I payed a little over a hundred for my big line kit which had all the fittings and got rid of the banjo bolts, and have seen walbros as cheap as 120 on sale so if you do it right you don't have to spend 600 plus, but i know what your saying some of those are big bucks.

Quick Reply: You guys running a stock LP and big line kit