24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

WOW...23.8 MPG yesterday

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2007, 08:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by nickg
VP-44 is the injection pump, I've read that when they start to fail the mileage goes in the tank. If you own a 99.5-2002 truck you will learn about the injection pump soon enough, do a search on this site with VP44 and you will be reading for days....

327,000 Kilometers using "X" denotes a number, I guess I could have used "0"
1.6 Kilometers is equal to one mile, so I have approx 200,000miles on my orginal VP and injectors

one US gallon is approx 3.7 liters so 40 liters is approx 10.8 gallons
Thank you for clearing that up. Now, if someone can tell me why my mileage is nowhere near what is stated from these other users.
Old 10-11-2007, 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by PlowKing
Thank you for clearing that up. Now, if someone can tell me why my mileage is nowhere near what is stated from these other users.

well so you know most of these big mileage numbers are for best tanks or for a certain trip not an average mpg. the last 2 tanks i have been testing was about half in town and half highway driving and i got 19.8
Old 10-18-2007, 07:13 PM

I have been getting a steady 19-20mpg (hand calculated) during my regular driving. I am currently driving to Florida from Ontario with a few stops on the way. Tonight is my first stop in Louisville KY(frigen tornado whach, great). So far on my first tank I got 23mpg. and that is with a exhaust manifold almost cracked in two, no trailer, and only about 500-600 lbs in the back, cruz set at 65-70mph. I'm pretty happy with the #'s.
Old 10-20-2007, 06:17 PM

WOW! I just got 14.5 mpg. on the last tank!! That's the best yet. I hope when I get my K&N air filter kit, it will get even better.
Old 10-21-2007, 10:00 PM

I took first trip after vp change and 4" exhaust, 1 1/2" leveling kit,bilstein shocks,new front coils,front brake shoes, and a set of aggressive lug tires. I was stoked to see the gain I would get. I was getting 20mpg at 70mph before Mods I did a 200 mile freeway trip at night and at 70mph I was getting 18 to 19 from the over head read out, which has been right on for freeway driving. I kicked it up to 72.5mph and got 20mpg. strange. Coming home I said screw the mileage and kicked it up to 85mph and after about an hour of driving glanced up at over head and was getting 23mpg to 25mpg. Had a 35 to 40 mph wind blowing up tail pipe whole trip home. It was great. Think wind may have been blowing on night drive. I'll have to check again.
Old 10-21-2007, 11:28 PM

WOW! I just got 14.5 mpg. on the last tank!! That's the best yet. I hope when I get my K&N air filter kit, it will get even better.
I doubt you will see any mileage gain from the air filter, unless your old one was plugged solid. you might want do a little searching with reguards to K&N , IMO they work good for a NA diesel, but a turbo sucks too much air (and sometimes the oil right out of the filter) leaving your engine at risk of injesting dirt, it only takes one cup of dirt to destroy an engine. If you run a KN filter, keep doing oil samples and moniter silicates to ensure that the air filter is actually filtering the air.
Old 10-21-2007, 11:33 PM

I thought I did, from what I have read (no actual experience with this mileage problem) your IP is failing/bad and it's showing up in poor mileage, again this is only what I've read in passing, when I was searching for something else. Mabe a couple of searches will net you some more info on this particular problem.
Old 10-21-2007, 11:37 PM

I doubt you will see any mileage gain from the air filter, unless your old one was plugged solid. you might want do a little searching with reguards to K&N , IMO they work good for a NA diesel, but a turbo sucks too much air (and sometimes the oil right out of the filter) leaving your engine at risk of injesting dirt, it only takes one cup of dirt to destroy an engine. If you run a KN filter, keep doing oil samples and moniter silicates to ensure that the air filter is actually filtering the air.
ditto on this....i kep hearing that th oil may get into the turbo from the k&n's but who knows...i just switched to a BHAF so if you are interested in my old K&n i will probably list it on hear for $40. they are around $70 new.
Old 10-22-2007, 06:29 PM

I thought I did, from what I have read (no actual experience with this mileage problem) your IP is failing/bad and it's showing up in poor mileage, again this is only what I've read in passing, when I was searching for something else. Mabe a couple of searches will net you some more info on this particular problem.
Both my injection pump and lifter pump are brand new. In fact the lifter pump, I opted for the conversion kit, as the stock setup sucks, and doesn't live up to its job.

I change my stock filter almost every time I change my oil. I was actually talking about the K&N cold air injection box. The stock setup doesn't allow for free flow of air and sucks in hot air from the engine compartment, so I'm told.
Old 10-22-2007, 10:51 PM

The stock airbox also sucks in dirt... It's not sealed well. A little grease around the edges would help though.
Old 12-11-2007, 01:42 AM

Location: Colville,in beautifull Eastern (should be a state) Washington
I've got 2 buddies that drive '94 CTD, one's a stock 4X4, one's a 2 wd with mods, both swear they can get up to 27 mpg.
I can get up to 21 on my '99 (indicated on the overhead) & borne out by gals./miles. I'm running 265/75 16'
& with my superchip hand held I can adjust the speedo input for tire height, in addition to reading & resetting error codes.
Regarding use of 2 stroke oil as a fuel additive, this should be a no-brainer, meaning I don't know why I didn't think of it. It's made to lube the piston, cylinder, upper & lower rod & crank bearings as it's delivered to those parts mixed with the atomized gasoline/air mixture intended for combustion. Added to diesel, which already has lubricating qualities, it will enhance desireable lubrication to the fuel pump(s), injector pump & injectors & should burn clean as it's intended for combustion in a non-turbo & much lower compression engine. Lubrication = less friction = less energy needed to move close tolerance parts through their respective cycles. If that energy is provided by fossil fuel...better mpg. I just converted myself to the 2 stroke camp
Old 12-11-2007, 03:43 AM

Two-stroke is good for lubrication, but I don't think the gains are noticeable. You're mixing 1/2-1 quart per 35 gallons. It's a big dilution factor.

As far as 27 mpg, maybe... But I'm skeptical. I wouldn't go swearing by it. The best I've gotten was 25 mpg all hwy on a 150 miles stretch. There could've been a slight decline for most of the way, I don't know.