24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

WOW...23.8 MPG yesterday

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2007, 06:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What year and motor in your truck?
Old 10-06-2007, 09:24 PM

2001 24-valve with a six-speed, dually.
Old 10-06-2007, 09:46 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by motomac3
you can see what i have done to the truck so far in my sig....i also add 1/2 oz. to a gallon of 2 cycle oil every fill up. i plan on doing rv 275's and the max mileage or xzt+ and a tonneau cover of some kind. should get some pretty amazing numbers then. although i was amazed at the 23.8
Hi guy's. My first post here on DTR. My tonneau cover gave me an instant 10% gain on mileage. Mileage went from 22mpg to just over 24mpg. That's at a steady 65mph using cruise control.
When were towing full-time I would average around 12mpg pulling a 34' TT weighing about 10k lbs.
Mike
Old 10-07-2007, 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by PlowKing
I am utterly amazed at these numbers posted. I was so intrigued, that I read every single post here. How in the hell do you guys get this kind of mileage?
This is my first diesel, which I decided on buying for both towing, and mileage. But I was pretty discourage by only being able to get 8-9 mpg. Now, after replacing both my injector and lifter pumps, and my injectors, I am able to get about 12 mpg, at best!!
Before I bought this truck, I had always heard people saying that diesel's get better mileage than gas, while I'm am only able to witness very similar results (Comparing to the gas equivalent trucks used by my business before this truck)
Is it because I'm running the Edge module? It is on the highest (100hp) setting.
One of my next upgrades are an air filter kit. I am told that the OEM kit won't allow for enough air for the chip. Will this help mileage?
Any suggestions would help and be appreciated. Thanks!
I cant speak for a truck that has been modded such as yours, I'd suspect a VP. But mine has a Amsoil Nano filter, edge EZ,(60hp) and magna flow exhaust, the truck now has 327 XXX KMS on all orginal equipment. I drive it hard on the gas, hard on the brakes, brakes last approx 3months, and thats another story! I cant even guess what my hiway miles are as my truck is used for in town delivery work, so it gets driven about 8hrs a day and goes around 200kms and uses around 40liters of fuel that 40liters of fuel equates to about 30$ a day. Other gas trucks doing the same work spend between 50-60$ a day, my truck is on par with a 2000 dodge mini van (he spends 30$ a day as well).
I would think you have some problem giving you such bad mileage, maybe others with the same mods as yours will chime in.
maybe lower hp injectors will help.
My experience is any diesel truck will out mileage an equivalant gasser doing the same work load.
My two cents
Old 10-07-2007, 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by nickg
I'd suspect a VP.
First of all, what is VP?
the truck now has 327 XXX KMS on all orginal equipment.
and 327 XXX KMS?
I cant even guess what my hiway miles are as my truck is used for in town delivery work, so it gets driven about 8hrs a day and goes around 200kms and uses around 40liters of fuel that 40liters of fuel equates to about 30$ a day. Other gas trucks doing the same work spend between 50-60$ a day, my truck is on par with a 2000 dodge mini van (he spends 30$ a day as well).
And what is the gallon equivalent to liters? Anyone know?
maybe lower hp injectors will help.
I would have thought this same thing, but my new injectors actually gave me around two miles per gallon better!
Old 10-07-2007, 11:12 PM

VP-44 is the injection pump, I've read that when they start to fail the mileage goes in the tank. If you own a 99.5-2002 truck you will learn about the injection pump soon enough, do a search on this site with VP44 and you will be reading for days....

327,000 Kilometers using "X" denotes a number, I guess I could have used "0"
1.6 Kilometers is equal to one mile, so I have approx 200,000miles on my orginal VP and injectors

one US gallon is approx 3.7 liters so 40 liters is approx 10.8 gallons
Old 10-08-2007, 01:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by motomac3
took a trip yesterday about 2 1/2 hours interstate then driving around in nashville. filled up for ride home and hand calculated the mileage. i got 23.8!!!!!
I have no wish to offend anyone, but I find mileage taken on short trips with the fill up at a different pump....can result in seriously varying mileage #'s.
A 24v, 4x4, automatic, getting well over 20 mpg....or even close to 20 mpg, is unheard of in the 4 yrs and tens of mileage threads I've seen here!
JMO
I do only 1000 mile tests and my best ever was 17.9 with no towing.

RJ
Old 10-08-2007, 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by RowJ
I have no wish to offend anyone, but I find mileage taken on short trips with the fill up at a different pump....can result in seriously varying mileage #'s.
A 24v, 4x4, automatic, getting well over 20 mpg....or even close to 20 mpg, is unheard of in the 4 yrs and tens of mileage threads I've seen here!
JMO

RJ
Was the 1000 miles ALL highway? I mean, no more than 10 miles in the city. I agree with your statement though. Calculating mileage on 200 miles trips isn't a very accurate representation of the whole picture. Knowing you got great mileage on a trip still feels good though.
Old 10-08-2007, 02:17 PM

JMO

RJ
your not going to offend me, i could care less what you think. when i fill up, i fill it till i see the fuel in the filler neck everytime so i know i put the same amount in. as for 1000 mile trips i dont drive that far EVER it it is more than a 5 hour drive for me one way, i fly. soooo.....when i take my weekly trips to nashville and back which is around 6 hours round trip i will calculate my mileage everytime. what ever my calculator says is obviously what mileage i got. i am sorry you dont get any better than 17.9 but i get better than that in town, i get 18-18.5 with in town only driving. exactly why is a 1000 mile trip the ONLY way to tell mileage. you can only get roughly 600 miles to a tank. if calculating the mileage for an entire tank of fuel is not accurate enough then i dont know what is. alot of your mileage has to do with how you drive. i havent added any boxes or programmers to my truck. i never drive it hard either. i didnt buy it to race(i have a much faster car to drive if i want speed) my best tank which was the 23.8 was driving around 68-69 all the way. driving around 75 i am only gettin 21-21.5. as i stated earlier in the thread i am going to keep a log for probably 1,000 and 5,000 mile intervals to see what kind of long term mileage i am getting.
Old 10-08-2007, 03:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I guess my wish "not to offend' did not work!

The 1,000 mile test does not have to be one trip (takes me about 10 days). That's part of what makes the resultant mileage accurate.

And, FYI, good chips and quality injectors do not cost mileage. That's one of the beautys of a diesel.

But, enjoy your truck...let's leave it at that!

WCBcruzer - I live in a rural area so I would say 0 miles in gridlock.... 75% highway..... 25% around town.

RJ
Old 10-08-2007, 04:08 PM

I guess my wish "not to offend' did not work!

The 1,000 mile test does not have to be one trip (takes me about 10 days). That's part of what makes the resultant mileage accurate.

And, FYI, good chips and quality injectors do not cost mileage. That's one of the beautys of a diesel.

But, enjoy your truck...let's leave it at that!

WCBcruzer - I live in a rural area so I would say 0 miles in gridlock.... 75% highway..... 25% around town.

RJ

like i said you didnt offend me, i was just explaining where my numbers came from and and asking why a 6 hour trip was not an accurate reading on my mileage. if i drive x number of miles and i use x gallons of fuel then that is the MPG that i got. its simple math. as for the chips/modules and injectors i know they dont hurt mileage but when you do those things it is alot harder to keep your foot of the skinny pedal. i plan on doing some rv275's and either the max mileage or the xzt+ and will add a tonneau cover all hoping to get better mileage.
Old 10-09-2007, 09:09 AM

I think what RowJ is trying to say is that you need more than one fillup to get an accurate picture. For example, I keep track of the mileage on my truck and my bike (BMW RT). The RT has a large tank for a motorcycle, but is miniscule compared to our CTD's. In a smaller tank even small variations in how well it's 'filled' can make substantial differences in the milage. So you really should look at the overall. But I've been consistently getting 20 - 21 from the truck, all hand calculated (don't have the OH computer). But you need a large enough sample to say that's what your mileage is.
Old 10-09-2007, 10:16 AM

i NEVER check mine unless it is on a road trip to get something. most of my mileage is in town and 10 miles round trip to the farm a couple times a week. so i know there is no point for me to check it and be disapointed
that is great mileage though!! i would think with the 5 or 6 diferent ways people have posted to check your mileage that if you consitantly use one method to check then that is your mpg if one time you use the overhead and the nest a calculator and the next trying to add and subtract for tires and such you will never have accurate mileage so IMHO just figure it the way that works best for you and go on
Old 10-09-2007, 10:57 AM

i get 23-24 mpg in my 1st gen.
Old 10-09-2007, 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by Doug_TX
I think what RowJ is trying to say is that you need more than one fillup to get an accurate picture. For example, I keep track of the mileage on my truck and my bike (BMW RT). The RT has a large tank for a motorcycle, but is miniscule compared to our CTD's. In a smaller tank even small variations in how well it's 'filled' can make substantial differences in the milage. So you really should look at the overall. But I've been consistently getting 20 - 21 from the truck, all hand calculated (don't have the OH computer). But you need a large enough sample to say that's what your mileage is.
i understand what rowj is trying to say, what you and him need to understand is i am not stating that this is AVERAGE mpg. i know that i dont get 23+ miles to the gallon as an average. this post was started stating "wow i got 23.8 mpg on the trip i took yesterday to nashville and back". that really shocked me that i got that kind of mileage on the trip. i used to make that trip all the time in my chevy tahoe and only got about 18-19 mpg so this is a huge difference in mileage for that trip. i will be checking my truck over long intervals to see what kind of average mpg i am getting but that is not what i have been checking or what i check on my trips to nashville. i will do a trip only mpg check to see what kind of mileage i get everytime i go to nashville.

Quick Reply: WOW...23.8 MPG yesterday