24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

WOW...23.8 MPG yesterday

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2007, 02:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I normally get 20 - 21 mpg. Almost none of that is freeway. A bit is on a 4 lane highway, but most is in town. I normally add some 2 smoke oil and some diesel fuel treatment.
Old 10-03-2007, 04:11 PM

Back from texas

i just got back from texas last wednesday. from hubert, nc to sourlake, tx, its just under 1300 miles. i got 19.6 on the way with about 1,000lbs of crap in the back. i also used aprx 1/2 gal of 2 cycle with each fillup. from dead stops, i babied the heck out of it, and kept the cruise on 75-78. i got about 19.2 on the way back. my first trip back to texas in 2005, at the same speeds, i got 20.8. that was right before katrina hit. i guess the ulsd does take some off. around here i get 14-16 because my foots allways in it.
Old 10-03-2007, 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by wcbcruzer
2-stroke oil adds lubrication to the diesel which is good for you injection pump. Personally I don't think it matters though.
where do you get 2 cycle oil? what brand or rating? and how much do you pur into treat one tank full?

What about Stanadyne Performance formula...anyone using that? If so anyone seeing improvments in mileage and lubricity...

I am thinking of treating each fill up either with the Stanadyne stuff or the 2 cycle oil (which I now just found out about)

so with my corrected math i should have actually gotten 25.98 MPG!!! i will fill up tomorrow and see what kind of mileage i got today.
man motomac, at this rate another calculation and you'll be upto 30 mpg ...one more after that and you'll be a hybrid with Honda Insight and Toyota Prius owners frowning at ya
Old 10-03-2007, 04:56 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by jrs_dodge_diesel
I got 23.4 MPG (hand calculated). I kept it steady on the trip, average speed between 68-72 MPH.
Precisely my result, at the same average speed, on the last long trip (600 mi) I took. But I only started getting this mileage after I replaced the injection pump. With the old VP44 I was getting 19 at best.
-P
Old 10-03-2007, 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by Sunir
where do you get 2 cycle oil? what brand or rating? and how much do you pur into treat one tank full?

What about Stanadyne Performance formula...anyone using that? If so anyone seeing improvments in mileage and lubricity...

I am thinking of treating each fill up either with the Stanadyne stuff or the 2 cycle oil (which I now just found out about)
i use the walmart brand in the blue bottle...its only like $1.80 something a bottle and i put 1/2 oz to a gallon.

man motomac, at this rate another calculation and you'll be upto 30 mpg ...one more after that and you'll be a hybrid with Honda Insight and Toyota Prius owners frowning at ya
i wish...i will be doing some long term calculations/mileage checks to see if my odometer is really off and by how much and to see wha kind of MPG i get over say 1,000 or 5,000 mile interval.
Old 10-03-2007, 07:21 PM

I have 4:10's and get 20.3 MPG around town driving to work. Don't get too much better on the highway 21.6Mpg. Just put in a GV overdrive behind my 6spd and will try on the highway soon. Around town I gets worse 20.1Mpg
Old 10-03-2007, 08:06 PM

I get the Supertech 2-stroke oil at walmart. Add about 1/2 a quart per full tank. I'd also recommend Optilube. http://www.centurionlubes.com/

2-stroke oil and Optilube are about the best bang for buck lubricating additive you can get. Aside from the price, they are actually amongst the top 4 best additives according to an independent study performed by someone on TDR.
Old 10-04-2007, 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by wcbcruzer
I get the Supertech 2-stroke oil at walmart. Add about 1/2 a quart per full tank. I'd also recommend Optilube. http://www.centurionlubes.com/

2-stroke oil and Optilube are about the best bang for buck lubricating additive you can get. Aside from the price, they are actually amongst the top 4 best additives according to an independent study performed by someone on TDR.
thanks for the info...I looked at the optilube site, seems like an impressive product...

How does Stanadyne Performance formula rank up here with the above?

How about Stanadyne's Lubricity formula...how does that rank with them?

I wonder if you can alternate or mix these things...Like use Stanadyne and Optilube (or the walmart 2-stroke oil) on alternate fill ups? Or put a bit of one and the other in at the same time, sort of a performance and extra lubricity boost together.
Old 10-04-2007, 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by motomac3
took a trip yesterday about 2 1/2 hours interstate then driving around in nashville. filled up for ride home and hand calculated the mileage. i got 23.8!!!!! was pretty impressed as i havent even put the max mileage or xzt+ module on yet. i am planning on running one of the 2. hoping to get over 25 MPG with the box.
Well I was glad to find this post......I was leary of posting mileage numbers of averaging 22 mpg. Now I see I amongst friends. I've checked it by calculator and the overhead readout and they seem pretty darn close.

I was just wondering when I read these ads of gaining an extra 8-12% fuel mileage, will I get that extra mileage or am I pretty much maxed out being stock and all. I'd love to get 24-25.

If I have to decide on ONE ad on.....WHICH IS BETTER?

Is it the xzt+ OR MAX MILEAGE MODULE?

I will probably only be towing a 2 horse trailer or a 1 car trailer at most with my 2001 Ram 2500 Quad cab CTD.
Old 10-04-2007, 03:33 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The shop I bought the VP44 from highly recommended Stanadyne. I just never see it sold anywhere, and didn;t get around to order it, so end up using 2 cycle oil.
-P
Old 10-05-2007, 01:19 PM

Fuel Milage

I got over 23 MPG once on a drive from Denver to Buena Vista about 250 mikes round trip. The state patrol had there accendent prevention team out and everyone was driving 50 mph. Normal without towing anything is 19 to 20 depending how much of a hurry I get in. When I tow my 17ft travel trailer I get 16 to 18.
Old 10-05-2007, 02:10 PM

For you guys getting good mileage towing travel trailers, etc. How fast do you go?
Old 10-05-2007, 02:34 PM

I tryed useing two stroke oil and started getting my low fuel pressure light on so Ithink it started plugging my brand new fuel filter. Also I had the lp, ip, and filter changed just before trying this.
Old 10-05-2007, 02:48 PM

Towing Milage

When towing in the mountains west of Denver traffic pretty much keeps my speed down around 55 to 60 my mileage is almost always 17 MPG in the mountains. On the open highway running 70 to 75MPH I will get 16 to 17.
My trailer is small 17' it weighs 3500LBS when loaded with supplys and water etc. almost always have two motorcycles in the bed of the truck. The last trip we took from Denver to Hot Springs Arkansas and back we ran mostly interstate and averaged 16.8 rinning 75, towed the trailer and had the Harley in the truck.
Old 10-06-2007, 04:40 PM

I am utterly amazed at these numbers posted. I was so intrigued, that I read every single post here. How in the hell do you guys get this kind of mileage?
This is my first diesel, which I decided on buying for both towing, and mileage. But I was pretty discourage by only being able to get 8-9 mpg. Now, after replacing both my injector and lifter pumps, and my injectors, I am able to get about 12 mpg, at best!!
Before I bought this truck, I had always heard people saying that diesel's get better mileage than gas, while I'm am only able to witness very similar results (Comparing to the gas equivalent trucks used by my business before this truck)
Is it because I'm running the Edge module? It is on the highest (100hp) setting.
One of my next upgrades are an air filter kit. I am told that the OEM kit won't allow for enough air for the chip. Will this help mileage?
Any suggestions would help and be appreciated. Thanks!

Quick Reply: WOW...23.8 MPG yesterday