24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Won't Start (fuel system work)

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2009, 08:14 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Won't Start (fuel system work)

Local guy here in S.Texas posted "help" ad on craigslist (San Antonio, PostingID: 1392721730).

Here's his post, wonder if anyone has insights:
-----------------
I am in a real big need of some advice on trying to figure out whats wrong with my truck. I am willing to pay someone that can tell me what wrong with it, its been dead for like 3 weeks now. It was running just fine before I installed an Airdog. It a 2001 Dodge Ram 2500 Diesel. Heres what I posted on Competitiondiesel.com.

heres what I've done but no luck, I have tried 2 different computers with the lift pump wired off the factory wiring for signal and I have also bypassed the relay for it to run constant, I've tried another TPS sensor, checked all fuses and relays, replaced my injection pump

Its getting fuel all the way to the injections but it hasnt started in three weeks but it did start once and idled but it wouldn't start back up after I turned it off, the only wiring I have messed with is the factory plug for the lift put when I wired up my Airdog and I left all the factory fuel system stuff on there until I tried to start it but it never started

it just wouldn't start after I installed my Airdog, does anyone have any ideas of what the problem could be, I've spent around 2000 bucks on it in the past 3 weeks on the fuel system and another $250 on the bed since I was planning to get it running last week, I'm about to give up on this truck again
Old 09-25-2009, 09:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hi there, this is my truck hes talking about, I joined this site because I can't find anyone else that can help
Old 09-25-2009, 10:55 PM

O'K so you can't throw parts at it and fix.
Did you think about taking the dog off and reverting to orginal setup that was working. I guess not.
O'K enough bashing as sure you have beat yourself to death allready.
First have you read codes. Simple three key on's in 5 seconds and leave key on. Read all codes displayed on odometer.
Have you checked for blown fuses? I mean really check them.
Does the dog run after a bump start for 20+ seconds? And you have flowing fuel at VP44 banjo bolt?
Your results now required for futher diagnois.
Old 09-25-2009, 11:00 PM

Well I had a Holley Blue on it before but I already sold it, I checked all the fuses with an OHM meter and swapped the relays around, the Airdog runs like it should on the factory wiring for signal with a relay, the only code when doing the key thing is 1693 but that seem to always be there, I have 1/2 inch fuel lines from the tank to the injector pump and the Edge is showing 17 psi on my custom T-Fitting right before the injection pump, in the past, when I tried to run the Holleys off the factory wiring with a relay, it wouldn't start so its alway was run off the key, I have tried to wire this one up this way but still no start, its just crazy that it started once just fine when I tried my old computer but wouldn't start after i turned it off
Old 09-26-2009, 01:01 AM
Cummins Guru

Received 64 Likes on 44 Posts
Do you have Vehicle Theft Security System? If you do check the fused B(+) fuse (Fuse 12 - 10 ampere) in the Junction Block.
Old 09-26-2009, 07:59 AM

that fuse is good, I'm pretty sure i dont have a factory alarm, my truck came with all manual locks and windows, etc
Old 09-26-2009, 10:08 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Edge is showing 17 psi on my custom T-Fitting right before the injection pump,
Do you have an edge box on it now? If so unhook it and go back to stock and see what it does.
Old 09-26-2009, 11:06 AM

Since you do have 1693, it would be nice to know the rest with factory DRBIII code reader.
You have replaced the VP44 in addition to LP, correct?
You actually have fuel at the injector connectors, correct? Does it spurt while cranking?
The cam sensorn near the VP44 is now suspect. Perhaps damaged.
17 psi at start up is problematic. It should start after simple pressure bump.
Additinally it sounds as though some butchering of wiring has taken place. Fix wiring correctlly from wiring diagram. Look for bad circuits.
Old 09-26-2009, 03:57 PM

I have tried to start it with and without the edge, I removed my custom fuel pressure fitting and it was running great, hooked it back and it was running again and now it won't start again, didnt do anything different, didnt cut any wiring
Old 09-26-2009, 05:15 PM
Administrator

Received 172 Likes on 130 Posts
Sounds stupid, but the VP44's are known to have a hard start with too much fuel pressure.

Also, in case you hadn't tried it, did you crack the Injectors in case they got a load of air?
Old 09-26-2009, 05:37 PM

its getting fuel, thats not the problem, it just wont start but it will ever once in awhile, I'm thinking of having a bonfire
Old 09-27-2009, 10:35 AM

When you installed the new vp did the gear seat right with key? If you squashed key that might be a problem according to my instructions I got with my blue chip V.P..........Nate
Old 09-27-2009, 11:35 AM

I'm sure the guy installed it right since that what he does all the time, it did the same thing with the old injection pump too

well I got some 1/2 inch clear tubing and looped it twice right before the injection pump, there are two big air bubbles on the top of the loops and when I hot wire the pump, I try and bleed it at the injection pump but they don't go away, you think theres a leak maybe somewhere and its causing it not to start? the airdog should be find and I blew in the pickup tube in the tank and it didnt leak but there may be something else
Old 09-27-2009, 05:06 PM

I took the fuel tank off and the module looks just fine, I drained the tank with the airdog and looped the clear line and there were no bubbles in the line, the fuel stayed in the line when I turned the airdog off unlike when it did when it was hooked to the truck
Old 09-27-2009, 06:03 PM

it seems like no one seems to have an idea of whats going on, my dad and I think like the injection pump doesnt seem to wanna take the fuel because it doesn't seem to flow much through the clear tube when it cranks over, the guy who replaced the injection pump may truck may hook up something inline with the pump to see if its getting signal

Quick Reply: Won't Start (fuel system work)