24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Won't downshift

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2009, 05:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Won't downshift

A girlfriend of mine has a similar truck to mine. It's a 2000 4x4 quadcab diesel automatic. She says she has been scared of the tranny for a while now. Ever since she took it somewhere to have the fluid and filter changed in the tranny. They goofed up and did something that dumped the tranny fluid. They fixed it, but don't know what it might have done to her tranny. She says it shifts hard, slamming into gears. Now she called and said it quit downshifting. She told my wife that she got it to downshift but wants me to look at it cause i know so much about these trucks and have fixed so much on our trucks thanks to the help i've gotten from this web site. What should i be lookin for? I would like her to bring new transmission fluid and filter so I could change and adjust the bands on her tranny. That is pretty much all i know about the transmission. About a week ago i disconnected her batteries for about an hour,turned the key on to drain all power left in system, then reconnected and turned the key to on position and slowly pushed accelerator down to floor and slowly released it. I understand this resets the apps. I don't have any idea what else to do. I checked with the smarty and there was no codes. I did the turn the key on off 3 times and the odometer said pdone, i guess no codes that way either. Any suggestions?
Old 07-16-2009, 05:40 PM

I forgot to mention i sprayed the linkage with some lube. I think i gonna try redoing all the ground wires where they connect to frame or wherever.
Old 07-16-2009, 07:29 PM

Hard shifts and no downshift could be a band issue. Check the front band first.

If that doesn't help or need tons of turns to go in, you probably have a case full o toast.

Dave
Old 07-17-2009, 03:56 PM

Ok,she said it didn't downshift when she was going up a slight hill and gave it fuel. It didn't have power. did it twice. Now she just showed up and said she barely made it here and there is transmission fluid leaking from dust shield that protects the torque converter.!!!!!
Old 07-18-2009, 03:54 PM

Ya, lots in pan. But I was able to clean, change fluid and filter. I also adjusted the bands....which it needed. Just got back from test ride and all seems fine now. No leaking either. Time will tell I guess on how bad and how much damage has been done.
Old 07-21-2009, 04:32 PM

Well it happened again i guess. This time didn't upshift after turning onto another road. Then later it did it again, but not as bad. After that it ran fine. I figure it still had some junk in it that moved to where it made a silenoid stick. So i will pull the pan again and see. Also she said it made a clunk noise when she put it in park. I noticed this too when i changed fluid and filter. Did it a few times, then when i wanted it to it wouldn't do it.