24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Where can I reroute breather tube to avoid the oily mess

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2007, 08:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where can I reroute breather tube to avoid the oily mess

I just completed a 5,000 mile round trip from Az to PA and back and when I parked my truck in my nice clean cement driveway, the truck leaked oil all back along the bottom of the engine and tranny.

I did a search and it seems all this oily film is from the puke tube and bottle. Is this right?

This is the first long high mileage trip I took in my 2001 Ram 2500 with 220,000 miles on it. The truck never leaked oil before this trip. On the trip my revs stayed at about 1800-2100. I did get between 21-24 mpg so I was pleased about that.

I need to start using my truck for work so I don't want to have to be worried about more dripping oil everytime I come home after working the truck hard.

Back to my question.............where can I reroute that breather tube to keep the oil from coating the bottom of the truck??????????
Old 12-15-2007, 08:32 PM

"puke bottle"

There are different approaches here. I tell you mine. Took my bottle out, went out an bought some hose from the local autoparts store and went straight down with it. Its on the long side and very obvious looking at the front of the truck. I wanted to run it long enough so that when I am moving, the spray is still low enough not to collect on the bottom of motor. So far, very dry and clean bottom end. Others take this then run it across the top next to the valve cover and then down. I would have done this, except this method really lengthens the tubing. The shorter the better for me.
Old 12-15-2007, 08:36 PM

So you took the whole puke bottle off correct?????
Old 12-15-2007, 11:06 PM

After the last oil change at the dealer I ask them to check the puke bottle.
Yesterday, when I was checking the truck, slid under it for a look-see. Hmmm no puke bottle. A little oil on the lines going to the radiator. I am going to add a few inches to the line.
Your puke bottle might have filled with water, and oil floating on the top will blow out and coat the bottom of the engine.
Old 12-16-2007, 08:03 AM

I have wondered about this { pukebottle} and why cant it be turned straight up and made a little longer and some sort of small air filter attached to relieve inter engine pressure , after all i don't really think these engines need to puke out a little oil now and again any thoughts on this ?
Old 12-16-2007, 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by dssimecek
After the last oil change at the dealer I ask them to check the puke bottle.
Yesterday, when I was checking the truck, slid under it for a look-see. Hmmm no puke bottle. A little oil on the lines going to the radiator. I am going to add a few inches to the line.
Your puke bottle might have filled with water, and oil floating on the top will blow out and coat the bottom of the engine.
This may be the answer. I drove through a lot of rain and freezing conditions thru Oklahoma and Texas. Thanks for a very good cause suggestion!
Old 12-16-2007, 09:48 AM
Banned

i just took a long length of hose and went over the upper coolant hose and down towards the driverside of the truck

keeps the hose out of harms way and keeps them from getting crap all over the motor

took me about five minutes
Old 12-16-2007, 10:44 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Look at this old post:
https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...l+breather+mod
Old 12-16-2007, 07:56 PM

hhmmm..... What about having a muffler shop add a directional port in your exhaust downstream of the muffler and connect it to that. Should still be enough heat that far downstream to burn it off.
Old 12-20-2007, 03:08 PM

what i did was just extend that tube straight down, ihave a dss on the steering gear, and just cut the top off a small water bottle, arrowhead i think,slipped it over the hose, and it wedges perfectly between the steering gear and the dss, problem solved, still there after 4 months, and no zip ties nothing
Old 12-21-2007, 07:28 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I put a elbow on the end of the hose a length of hose to the front of the driver side tire just behind the bumper and zip tied the bottle. BUT i'm still getting oil on the fan so sometings up.
Old 12-21-2007, 09:52 AM

If you're still running the stock bottle, then it's time to pull the radiator. You'll be amazed at how much crud has built up due to that dreadful bottle. Here's what mine looked like, note that this is the FRONT of the radiator:

Like some others, I threw the bottle in the trash and extended the hose back behind the front axle. I think if you just go straight up and put a breather on it you still may have vapor issues coating the front of the radiator and engine with crud.
The following users liked this post:
Zit (05-28-2016)
Old 12-21-2007, 04:43 PM

What bottle? I'm sad to say that I actually don't know what this post refers to?
Old 12-21-2007, 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by xtoyz17
What bottle? I'm sad to say that I actually don't know what this post refers to?
The crankcase vent bottle. It's on the front of the motor, just follow the rubber hose down to a plastic bottle with holes in it. You can just barely see it behind the fan blade in this pic:

You're supposed to be draining this at every oil change, but as you can see in the pic of my radiator that's insufficient. The vapor still gets blown around by the fan and deposits on the front of the radiator, the front of the motor, all over the engine fan itself, etc. Some have wrapped the bottle with a sock (I tried it, didn't like it), others have relocated it, some have eliminated it and installed a breather on the valve cover, and I think Fleetguard has an addon product specifically for dealing with this.

If you've never even touched the bottle, then you definitely need to take a closer look at your radiator. BTW you won't be able to see the blockage shown in the previous pic without actually removing the radiator. The intercooler blocks your view. Mine was actually pretty mild, there are some pics out there where that area of the radiator is completely blocked
Old 12-21-2007, 05:09 PM

Oh, thats just fantastic. The ONLY good news there is that this might explain the undetectable oil dripping over the front half of my motor and making a mess of my driveway. I thought it may be the PS pump, but it sure seemed like it would be tough for a PS drip to coat the TOP of the PS pump....

I'm extending that hose in the morning. To heck with it...

p.s. thanks for the VERY detailed response. Seems like lately clear responses are getting fewer and farer between

Quick Reply: Where can I reroute breather tube to avoid the oily mess