24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Whens it going to stop?????

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2003, 01:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re:Whens it going to stop?????

My 98 runing strong//225,000//replaced injector pump at 88,000//broke 5th gear at 170,000 my fault//love the truck and my new 03.
Old 07-31-2003, 02:51 PM

If you're using your truck as a business, you should figure on trading them out every couple years with that kinda miles/year. Down time is more expensive.

Does seem you've had more than your share of problems tho. Seems every mfg has their share of lemons and Dodge has a bigger share (just an observation). Hope my '01 does much better.
Old 08-01-2003, 12:58 AM

Like Top said, Junk the Dealer and go to a quallified Cummins Service Center.

Try this link and find a service center near you.

Cummins Service Centers

DB
Old 08-01-2003, 03:46 AM
Banned

I've got almost 40K miles on my 01 and I've replaced two lift pumps (first one at 20K or so miles the second one about 5 minutes after the first one), and I've replaced the electronics in the tranny. All under warranty thank god. Oh well. Dodge has screwed me out of my warranty on so many BS items that it's not even funny. They tried to tell me that by putting on an amplifier for my speakers, that if my computer were to fry, they would void the warranty cause of the amp. > It sounds like you may have gotten a lemon man.
Old 08-01-2003, 07:59 AM

i was talking to a guy at the carlisle,PA mopar show last month who runs similar miles and uses the truck to tow a fifth-wheel car carrier...he ran a dodge 3500/cummins prior to his newer truck and said many of the same things you are stating...His answer made alot of sense: dodge really didn't design the truck for that kind of "commercial" type use, yes, the motor isn't an issue and yes the dana's are great rears. He has a newer medium duty truck ( not mentioning names...) w/ a cummins and he sez it performs overall better, doesn't stress the truck as much or the components as much, heavier cooling,rears,braking,front end etc...he also said compared to a new 3500, it wasn't that much more...I'm not tryn to start a war here, i LOVE mopars,cummins,my truck etc...Just noticed the post and thought this story would be good here...
Old 08-01-2003, 09:10 PM
yz

I love my truck. I bought it used. I looked back through the history through dodge and did not really see anything big. Just oil changes and service and such. I have just replaced track bar, shocks, and a few services. It has been great.

Don's trucking here in Mo have a small fleet of them. They bring us loads and I often talk to the drivers and they keep me informed of how everything is running. I think they are close to 100k on most of them. I think just a LP and just services and tires. Said they have had tons of problems with the Goosenecks and not the trucks. They plan on keeping there truck till around 300k-400k.

I think Barracuda has a good Idea. I know you said that you can't get a new truck now but maybe it is an idea for the future. Maybe if Dodge ever comes out with the 4500/5500 series truck or maybe a Freightliner FL 50 or FL 60. I have heard that used one might go for a decent price. Just a thought.

Sorry to hear about your bad luck bud. I hope things get better. Keep us informed. Good luck -Anthony