24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Whats a good manual transmission lube?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2006, 06:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Whats a good manual transmission lube?

I'm going to be changing the transmission fluid and refilling it soon. I used mystic gear oil in the tranny on my old jeep and have quite a bit left over, I was wondering if that would work in my pickup also? I think its 8w-40 but im probably wrong! Do i really have to use the Castrol Syntrol LT like it says on the side of the transmission?
Old 07-29-2006, 07:09 PM

id defently use synthetic, i used mopar 75w90 in my NV4500 it's kindley costley so brace ya'r self
Old 07-29-2006, 10:41 PM

Don't buy syntrol, its syntorque, from Dodge or Chevy I have found it to be cheaper at Chevy maybe just coincidence though. Some fellows use redline or royal purple, myself I just fork over the doe for the castoral. From what I've heard the reason for the expensive stuff has to do with the glue on the syncros.

Jed
Old 07-30-2006, 12:15 AM
Banned

The wrong stuff can trash the synchros... I got mine at Dodge for about a third of what the Chevy dealer wanted. Had three parts stores tell me it was a dealer only item.
Old 07-30-2006, 12:17 AM

So don't use syntrol even if it says "do not use anything other than Castrol Syntrol LT or else permanent damage will result" on the side of the transmission? Im confused! I think i will pay the dealer a visit monday!
Old 07-30-2006, 12:33 AM
Banned

It says Syntorqe... I think, call the dealer and tell them what you need. Call the Chevy dealer and tell them you nead gear lube for a NV4500. Go wherever is cheaper.

When I did mine I think I was as confused as you are.
Old 07-30-2006, 12:38 AM

Originally Posted by displacedtexan

When I did mine I think I was as confused as you are.
haha im not confused, im just too lazy to go out and look! I will give the dealers a call monday and get it all fixed up
Old 07-30-2006, 12:49 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by ratat98
haha im not confused, im just too lazy to go out and look! I will give the dealers a call monday and get it all fixed up
You said you were confused, and now I am...

I was afraid I would put the wrong stuff in. I am paranoid.
Old 07-30-2006, 12:51 AM

Originally Posted by displacedtexan
You said you were confused, and now I am...

I was afraid I would put the wrong stuff in. I am paranoid.
Yeah I realized i said that after the last post...its late, im tired, my mind is already asleep. haha
I'm paranoid also. I've worked around diesel stuff for years, but never had to really work on them a whole lot so I want to get all this stuff right the first time...
Old 07-30-2006, 12:58 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by ratat98
Yeah I realized i said that after the last post...its late, im tired, my mind is already asleep. haha
I'm paranoid also. I've worked around diesel stuff for years, but never had to really work on them a whole lot so I want to get all this stuff right the first time...
Yeah, I going to bed after I finish this one... And you will get it right. It is a pain getting the new fluid in, I use my Mity-Vac to pump it in. Worked well, I love that thing.
Old 07-30-2006, 01:02 AM

That's a good idea. I was kinda wondering how I was going to do that. I figured I would have to rig some kind of thingamajig up...Thanks for all your help!
Old 07-30-2006, 08:54 AM
Banned

You are welcome for the help. I ought to contribute something useful around here from time to time.
Old 07-30-2006, 01:06 PM
Banned

Easy way to fill it up is to remove the shifter and pour it in through the top. That's how we did my buddy's 6spd and it made life SOOOO much easier and cleaner. Not to mention we could add in an extra quart that way.
Old 07-30-2006, 08:59 PM

Probably a stupid question...

Ok so I've done some research and this is what I have come up with..let me know what you think...
I have surfed the net ALL day looking for alternatives if the dealer here doesn't have any Castrol Syntorque LT (Small Dealer/thinking they would have to order it and I need to get on the road tomorrow afternoon). Anyways, the reason Dodge reccomends Syntorque is because the NV-4500 has carbon-fiber composite syncros and anything else hasn't been tested and will void the warranty. Thats what i've gathered from everything i've seen anyways... I have talked with several farmers around here with the same trucks and most of them just use regular 75w80 gear lube and have never had any problems. So im thinking since the warranty is long gone and I have access to another tranny if I need one, im going to go ahead and try some synthetic 75w gear lube?? Am I stupid? Thanks!

Edit: if anything i figured it could be a good learning experience for all of us!
Old 07-30-2006, 10:39 PM
Banned

Stupid, no... Brave, maybe a little, but since you have access to another tranny why not try what the farmers run? I know the Tulsa dealer has it in stock. As well as two Chevy dealers around here.

Quick Reply: Whats a good manual transmission lube?