24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Whats the fix for these two codes

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2004, 06:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Whats the fix for these two codes

Coming home from K Falls Monday pulling my 5vr over the pass hwy 140 truck stumbled a little. I had my foot in it doing about 60mph, 1200* on the pyro hit 35lbs on boost when I got off the go pedal she smoothed right out. Only other time it did it on the way home was pedal to the floor getting on the freeway at Medford. She ran fine all the way home over several hills.
Tuesday afternoon I went to pick up the better half at work & could only get it to do it once while running empty.
Today I checked for new codes, (my check engine light stays on all the time do to the smart controller that bill K put in. Calif. trucks aren't compatiable) New codes 0236 something to do with the turbo/waste gate and 0622 generator field F terminal not switching properly. An open or shorted condition detected.
So what do I need to do to fix this problem?
Old 04-28-2004, 11:02 PM

P-0236---Map Sensor Too High Too Long----Problem detected in turbocharger wastegate.
Do you have a boost fooler? The ECM thinks the boost is too high. If you have a boost fooler it isn’t working correctly or not hooked up. I would check it real close.

You will see P0743 and P1765 from the trans relay taken out for the Smart Controller or if you have a mystery switch installed and both will set the Malfunction Lamp. I’ve seen these codes with my mystery switch (torque converter lock-up switch). The Smart controller does the same thing I think. Some of the other guys with that box can ring in here. I would also check on the DTT site.
Here is a post about the P0622 code.
https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...ighlight=p0622
Hope this helps. Keep us posted on what you find.
Old 04-29-2004, 10:06 AM

Thanks billg
I do have a boost fooler in my Banks Otto Mind. I use to hit 34lbs of boost, since I put the dd2's & TAG in I've been hitting 36lbs of boost. Maybe I need to get a better box. A friend is going to clear my codes for me, I'll unhook my Smart Controller & see what happens. I may not get to it right away for I have to work this weekend.
Is there anyway I can adjust the boost fooler? Would adjusting the wastegate help & if so how do I adjust it.

Thanks for the help
Glenn
Old 04-30-2004, 12:23 PM

Glenn the boost fooler itself is not adjustable. The boost fooler limits the amount of boost the ECM sees. It doesn’t allow the ECM to see a voltage higher than what 20 or 21 lbs would put out (a voltage limiting circuit). As far as adjusting the waste gate that is being done by the “Bighead Wastegate actuator” If you’re hitting 36psi it would appear it is working (that is as high as the stock HX35 is efficient at anyway, anything above that is hot boost). I would reset the codes and see if the P0236 code comes back. Do you have the EGT limiting feature they offer with the OttoMind Tuner? I’m wondering if that feature is trying to protect the EGTs and de-fueling. From what I’ve read the Banks box also has an “Auto Rate” feature that protects the torque converter lockup. Could this be conflicting with DTTs Smart Controller?
I would also look for air leaks and check the fuel filter. The stumble is related to a fuel delivery problem, sounds like something can’t make up its mind. Hope it’s not the VP-44. To see if it’s the Banks box I would see if I could borrow an Edge EZ or Comp.
I have the EZ and EDM Mach 1.5s and don’t see that problem. I did lower the setting to the 2nd level to back the smoke off. Other than that it pulls all the way up to 80 mph (highest I’ve had it so far), haven’t had a chance to see how it will perform above that, yet.
Good Luck
Old 04-30-2004, 01:35 PM

Thanks again
I talked to Dave at diesel power products & he thinks it's defueling do to egt's also. I have the hy35 turbo 9cm housing. I guess it's time for a bigger turbo. I might go with a hx35 hybred from Piers or see what Dave has to offer. I'm going over to a friends this afternoon & he's going to clear the codes for me.
( note to wife yes dear I really do need to by this spinny thing to keep the charriot from burning up.)

Glenn