24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

What is reasonable for CKP replacement

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2007, 06:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What is reasonable for CKP replacement

What is a reasonable charge for replacing the Crankshaft Position Sensor (the one that hides behind the starter motor)?
Old 10-02-2007, 06:30 PM
Chapter President

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It depends who's doing the work.

I haven't done mine yet. I would guess it shouldn't take more than a couple of hour? I like to take my sweet time when working on my truck, so it would probably take me at least 5 hours..

I would suggest putting in a set of Larry B's starter contacts while you have the starter down.
Old 10-02-2007, 06:39 PM

The starter's about 2 months old. I put it in, myself. It's a trivial job.
Old 10-02-2007, 06:49 PM
Chapter President

That's what I was thinking, trivial...

I guess you're trying to figure out what to charge someone?
Old 10-02-2007, 07:20 PM

Nope. Just trying to understand why the dealers in Tucson (where my wife and truck are right now) are telling her it will cost MORE THAN $350. for the job, including the part (which I have in hand $45.00 at Cummins). Desert Diesel was also recommended. They also quoted her $350+.
Old 10-02-2007, 08:20 PM
Chapter President

Man, that seem kind of high to me, but I'm not in the automotive field.. Maybe someone from the local AZ chapter would be willing to help?
Old 10-02-2007, 08:22 PM
Chapter President

Just thought of another option. How about a Cummins shop?
Old 10-03-2007, 03:59 PM

The Cummins service locator lists the closest shop to Tucson as 114 miles away.
Old 10-03-2007, 04:12 PM

I dont know how your health is but its not that hard of a job if you are talking about the crankshaft position sensor. you can do a search on here and find directions with pictures to help you out. I did mine in about 1.5 hrs.
Old 10-03-2007, 04:29 PM
Chapter President

Originally Posted by Grider Pirate
The Cummins service locator lists the closest shop to Tucson as 114 miles away.
Figures! How about calling some of the other shops they list on the locator within Tucson?
Old 10-03-2007, 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by emoryemt-i
I dont know how your health is but its not that hard of a job if you are talking about the crankshaft position sensor. you can do a search on here and find directions with pictures to help you out. I did mine in about 1.5 hrs.
Job is easy, or at least not hard. The 20 hour round trip drive to DO the job is what I was trying to avoid, but at a REASONABLE cost. Even if it breaks off (I've heard that's common) I have the tools to deal with that.
Knowing all of the above doesn't help when the shops my wife has contacted ALL want in excess of $350.00 to do it.
Driving to Tucson monday......
Old 10-03-2007, 06:40 PM
DTR's 'Go to Guy'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I drove 600 miles round trip to put 2 15$ sensors in my wife's van on Memorial Day weekend last year! Couldn't find anyone that would even consider replaceing them without the "proper diagnostics"! I explained to them that I was an A.S.E. master mechanic, my wife had the codes read at Autozone, and I would not hold them responsible for anything besides the labor to put the sensors in even if it didn't fix it. It takes all of about 20 minutes to do. No one would even consider. I feel your pain. I could have that crank sensor replaced in under an hour, even if it broke off! Get a small dent puller type slide hammer in case it breaks off. That and a 3" drywall screw has been the trick for me SEVERAL times! LOL 350 bucks is plain robbery. Period.
Old 10-03-2007, 07:27 PM

I agree. 1.5 hours is still only 150 plus 50 or so for the sensor. What's the rest for?? If it takes more time than this you are paying for lunch hour too....including lunch.and

Old 10-03-2007, 08:49 PM

That sounds pretty steep. I replaced mine in less than an hour.
Old 10-03-2007, 11:13 PM

Originally Posted by vzdude
I drove 600 miles round trip to put 2 15$ sensors in my wife's van on Memorial Day weekend last year! Couldn't find anyone that would even consider replaceing them without the "proper diagnostics"! I explained to them that I was an A.S.E. master mechanic, my wife had the codes read at Autozone, and I would not hold them responsible for anything besides the labor to put the sensors in even if it didn't fix it. It takes all of about 20 minutes to do. No one would even consider. I feel your pain. I could have that crank sensor replaced in under an hour, even if it broke off! Get a small dent puller type slide hammer in case it breaks off. That and a 3" drywall screw has been the trick for me SEVERAL times! LOL 350 bucks is plain robbery. Period.
Aye. I already have the new sensor ($48.00 at Cummins) and my toolbag packed, including drywall screws and slide hammer, and even the nifty custom extension-wobblersocket for easily pulling the starter upper bolt. I think I can even handle disconnecting the batteries. I considered my air tools and compressor, but hey, I'm driving a Tercel (and that only because I don't want to ride the bike I just spent a week polishing for sale). What really pisses me off is that the service guys talking to my wife all assume she has no idea what they're talking about. One service writer was pitching disconnecting the batteries as "taking apart the cables from the batteries" as a big job.
She knows enough after 28 years watching/helping me repair/rebuild/restore bikes, cars, planes, and a boat to know when someone is blowing smoke.

Quick Reply: What is reasonable for CKP replacement