24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

What next?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2007, 11:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What next?

Ok, so i have an 02 dodge with about 60,000 miles on it, and am looking for what I should do next. I should start off with what is done and where I am looking to go with the truck. Right now what I have done is an AFE stage 2 intake, 4" MagnaFlow exhaust, Edge COMP, Banks Torque converter, BD's flex plate, Banks High Ram intake, and banks waste gate modifier.

Right now the truck is pushing about 315HP/652ftlbs on the rear wheels, and about 25.5 PSI into the top of the engine. I would like more power, but I don't want to get stupid about it. I've talked with a few diesel guys and they said I should now do an exhaust manifold, fuel pump and injectors. At 25.5 PSI I can tell the truck is running lean because at WOT there is almost no smoke, and it sounds like there is just not enough fuel for how much air is being pushed. I've also heard do the above mods, then look into Methanol Injection if I have some extra cash to burn. It should help the truck stay cool if I read the instructions right about the injection system.

So this is my question to you, where would you go next for more power? This is not my daily driver, how ever, it could be so i want to keep it drivable but have fun doing it. I usually don't pull anything behind it, but I have been known to load a trailer we have to about 13,500 lbs. I will post a vid of the truck on youtube sometime shortly, but for now no vids or pics
Old 06-24-2007, 08:09 AM
Registered

Do you have any gauges? fuel pressure, and EGT are a must. Your injector pump is fine. (you will be replacing it soon enough when it goes bad). Get some bigger injectors, some 150 HP ones, can be had for 300 to 1000 bucks depending how clean you want them and your budget. A diesel doesn't run lean, you really don't want it to smoke, if you have enough air to burn the fuel you have, it won't smoke. you will probably need to upgrade your lift pump system also, it is the life of your IP. with bigger sticks you will be runnin hot, and smokey, and more air will be needed with a bigger turbo. the water/meth is ok, but it's a pain to try to keep it full. Mine would be empty in a half a mile of a hard pull. some guys that pull trailers have a 8 gal. tank, but where do you put that??
Old 06-24-2007, 07:22 PM

Yes, I already have gauges. I have an Exhaust temp, trans temp and turbo boost.
Old 06-24-2007, 10:27 PM
Registered

the fuel pressure gauge is the most important gauge that you can install in a vp44 powered rig.
Old 06-25-2007, 02:00 AM

Do you have any good recommendations, and good mounting locations? I already have 3 gauges on the pillar so I'm not sure that would be a good location, and I'm not sure where else I could mount something like that?