24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

What does your fuel filter look like?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2007, 11:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What does your fuel filter look like?

So I noticed my fuel pressure gauge was bouncing around a little bit. Since my gauge is after the filter, this tells me when it is time to install a new filter. My question is when I took the old one out and compared it to the new one, it really doesn't look that dirty to me. Is that how everyone's is when they replace theres? Just wondering...

Rob
Old 02-12-2007, 07:50 AM

how many miles were on it when you changed it? i usually change mine at 5k and it looks still new. i was told that was too soon so this time i checked it at 5k and i will try to go 10k. 10k was recommended me on here. at 10k it should start to get dark all over.
I was told its whats on the inside, that matters.
you could always cut it open and look at it. i will be doing this next time.
Old 02-12-2007, 07:52 AM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
Mine didn't have "chunks" in it or anything like that, but it was dark.
A very small amount of very very fine particles accumulated in the bottom of the fuel bowl.
I changed mine yesterday as I was seeing the needle moving very quickly, and my WOT pressure was down.
All better now.
Old 02-12-2007, 07:55 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
A jumping needle means you are getting pressure pulses from the IP. You need to put a damper, or "snubber" to absorb the pulses. I used an 1/8" needle valve and just cracked it open.
Old 02-12-2007, 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by Geico266
A jumping needle means you are getting pressure pulses from the IP. You need to put a damper, or "snubber" to absorb the pulses. I used an 1/8" needle valve and just cracked it open.
what about digital gauges?
Old 02-12-2007, 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by dieselfan
how many miles were on it when you changed it? i usually change mine at 5k and it looks still new. i was told that was too soon so this time i checked it at 5k and i will try to go 10k. 10k was recommended me on here. at 10k it should start to get dark all over.
I was told its whats on the inside, that matters.
you could always cut it open and look at it. i will be doing this next time.
I have about 6k on the filter. I will crack it open later today and see what it looks like?
Old 02-12-2007, 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by Geico266
Already have a needle valve in mine.
The needle was "dancing" a little at idle, and quicker than normal to rise and drop with the accelerator inputs.
I'm thinking the filter was causing a restriction of flow (my gauge is set up to monitor post filter pressure) and may have allowed a little air to get into the line to the gauge.
Changing the fuel filter brought everything back to normal.
No more dancing at idle, and the gauge is responding as it should again.
No adjustment in the needle valve was needed.

Trending Topics

Old 02-12-2007, 01:22 PM
Chapter President

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
My in cab gauge is post filter and I also have a gauge that is prefilter that is on the filter canister. Today, I noticed a drop in fuel pressure with slight variations in pressure. I popped the hood and looked at the pre filter gauge and it was reading 3.5 psi higher than post filter. There is usually less than .5 psi variation. I'm only halfway through the regular service interval for the fuel filter but I guess I'm due for a change now. I must have picked up a batch of dirty fuel.
Old 02-12-2007, 02:10 PM
Administrator

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
Heres my last filter at ~10K:

Old 02-12-2007, 02:44 PM
Banned

Filter

My filters do not look to bad when I change them.. When I do a oil change I also change the fuel filter.I guess its cheap insurance.I learned a little prevented maintenance goes a long way..A little off subject but I newer had my fuel jell up in the cold winters of Montana either.
Old 02-12-2007, 09:08 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
mine look same as JR.

i change them whenever, prolly 10k~15k or so.
Old 02-12-2007, 09:25 PM

ya i was new to diesels when we first got our ram. the filter wasn't changed for a good i would say 30 k.

i bought it used so who knows when the last time the guy before me changed it. it was the same color as my drive way.

the messed up thing is though after i changed it. im burning soo much more fuel.
Old 02-13-2007, 06:01 AM

I usually change mine around 15,000 miles give or take, or when I see a problem indicated by the Fuel Pressure gauge.
I'm probabaly like everyone else.....I saw the price of a fuel filter at the Dealer's Parts Counter and went
.................................................. .................................................. ..........................................

Then I bought my replacement directly from Cummins at about 1/4 the price at the dealer.
Old 02-13-2007, 06:49 AM

Could someone put a picture of how to install the fuel gauge in line....PLEASE
Old 02-13-2007, 07:24 AM

Received 263 Likes on 235 Posts
Well it seems that y'all have some really eeeevil diesel. I change my fuel filter every 80 000 kms (approx. 50 k miles) and it's nowhere near as dirty as the one jrs_dodge_diesel showed. I do not see a difference in the fuel pressure between before and after changing the filter.

AlpineRAM

Quick Reply: What does your fuel filter look like?