24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

What could cause this, anyone seen this before?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2008, 06:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question What could cause this, anyone seen this before?

It is a 5.9 turbo cummins recon engine with 65,000 miles on it.

Before I took it apart the only code it showed was a PO216 so I'm guessing the VP44 is bad to.

History it had some blow by, then it started running rough and smoking bad, run it up to the dealer tested for codes only the 1 above, then I noticed it was really dripping oil from the engine area, added 2 gallons of oil ran it back home and then it was pouring oil everythign was covered on the drivers side oil was dripping from everything, found that I could see some compression gases & oil spitting out from around the #2 & 3 head gasket area. So I pulled it apart.

Head bolts were all tight, I could not see anything distinct on the head gasket (actually looked good to me) resulting in the oil & compression coming out the side. (the gasket was intact nothing obvious) and the #5 cylinder you could see some black looking wear on the side facing the #6 and the #5 piston had a section of the piston missing on the edge looked like it was worn away from compression going by the rings, It was about the size of half a penny and I could see the top ring fine. Any ideas on what could cause this?
Old 02-05-2008, 07:22 PM

Having too much fun.
Old 02-05-2008, 11:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would say from too much heat but usually that would only be possibe from towing with a lead foot on the hills if your truck is stock. Not sure what else it could be.
Old 02-06-2008, 07:49 PM

Nah it's a work truck, I'm with you Freddy I think it had to run hot (I don't know it's a work truck) if it does run hot will these heads warp? Because the gasket looked good to me but I diffenitly saw compression gases puffing from that area and oil spray. Anyway the other cylinders looked nice great crosshatch no wear, not even a little bit of a ridge ring, So it looks like another engine, I'm thinking of letting Chrysler/Dodge install a complete drop in engine from Jasper, so everything on this engine is brand new, then it will become my work truck and the crew will be put in a Gas engine truck (cheaper for engine repairs)