24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

What boost at highway speed?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2003, 12:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What boost at highway speed?

I think I am either losing my mind or I am losing power. I got my boost gauge installed a couple of weeks ago and I have really been keeping an eye on it (mostly for fun). I think I am losing power and I have noticed that at 65mph flat ground, the boost stays around 7 -10 psi. Is that normal? I seem to remember that it used to never move until I started an uphill grade. I am approaching 10k miles and I have never changed the fuel filter. Could the filter be dirty causing it to require more boost? <br><br>Thanks,<br><br>Tim
Old 04-11-2003, 12:37 PM

Re:What boost at highway speed?

lat...<br><br>These trucks are not the most aerodynamic thing on the road, and I don't believe that those numbers are out of the norm...<br><br>Mine will show anywhere between 6-10lbs boost on the highway at those speeds, more if its windy or I even start up an overpass.
Old 04-11-2003, 01:35 PM

At about 70 MPH with my truck I sit at 7 PSI
Old 04-11-2003, 01:38 PM

That sounds normal, if I set the cruise the boost will actually drop a couple pounds while the truck maintains speed. Haven't firgured that out yet...
Old 04-11-2003, 02:47 PM

Lat, that is the same readings I got in my old '99. I haven't got the guages yet for the new one, but I'll bet it is the same range as you are getting. If it seems like you are getting a little power loss, I would change the fuel filter, then have it put on a pressure test to see if the lift pump is getting weak.
Old 04-11-2003, 03:25 PM

I will be pressure testing this weekend before and after fuel filter change. I am also installing new high flow banjos.<br> <br>On a personal note, I realized that I will need to retain the schrader valve for the Factory guys to check in case I need warranty work, but I had forgotten to purchase and extra banjo with threads for a schrader. So I got on the phone to Wildcat Diesel and spoke to Rod. I told him my dilema and he said, hey I will put a banjo and schrader in the mail today....at no charge. Now thats customer service. He definetly knows a lot about these trucks let me tell you he is one of the nicest people to talk to. Highly recommended!<br><br>Tim
Old 04-11-2003, 11:48 PM

Received 142 Likes on 108 Posts

Now thats customer service. He definetly knows a lot about these trucks let me tell you he is one of the nicest people to talk to. Highly recommended![/quote]<br><br>I second that! I have talked to Rod for quite a long time on the phone and he will give you what most others dont, &quot;HONEST ANSWERS&quot;.
Old 04-12-2003, 07:08 AM

That is normal boost for me at those speeds as well.<br><br>Kimrey
Old 04-12-2003, 01:01 PM

That sounds normal to me. It is a good idea to keep an eye on it. The Boost gauge can yell you when you have a Flat on a trailer or if you are fighting a headwind.

On my truck the Standard B-1 Bomber Turbo will cruise (70-75mph) at 6-7, The KSB-1(KwikSpool) at 8-9 and the KSB-1B(KwikSpool and -2 Turbine wheel) at 10-11psi.
Old 04-12-2003, 07:58 PM

I changed the banjos and the fuel filter. The filter was black, but otherwise clean (no debris). However.....the fuel pressure with the factory banjos at key on no idle was 13.4, after the banjos it was 14.8 at key on. WOT after the banjos was 8.4. These readings are coming from a Dakota Digital gauge. After the filter change, the boost seems to drop off faster when you release the throttle.<br><br>Good news is the truck has lost no power, it runs better now with the new banjos, again its probably just in my mind. <br><br>The banjo change out was pretty easy, the one in the bottom of the filter housing was a pain to get to. This is the location I used for the pressure gauge fitting. I used a grease gun hose to the sender which I remote mounted to save it from vibration. All is good.<br><br>Tim