24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

What to add with an exhaust brake?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2004, 04:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What to add with an exhaust brake?

We traded in the old pull trailer and recently bought a new fifth-wheel, 7700lbs empty, 10000lbs loaded. I'm thinking about adding an exhaust brake to help. The truck is a 2001 2500 QC with the automatic. My question is what else is needed besides the exhaust brake itself to make it work as a package? I've read a different torque converter and some trans work. Who can give me a real honest answer? I'm not looking for all kinds of horsepower add-ons, I think the truck is great the way it is. Some stopping power would be nice, though.
Old 01-26-2004, 04:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm no expert, but here's my stab at it..... the exhaust brake increase the amount of compression braking offered by the engine. This does no good without a means to couple the driveline with the engine... and the stock torque converter isn't quite up to the task. There are several aftermarket TC's out there that have much better lock-up clutches in them which will allow the exhaust brake to do it's job. Most of these TC's that I've seen require some kind of valve body modification/replacement to increase the hydraulic pressure in the lock-up clutch circuit. The added benefit is that the new TC/valve body is also capable of handling additional hp/torque provided by add-ons.
Old 01-26-2004, 06:22 PM
Banned

I too went through a similar situation. The exhaust brake is one of those things you can never truly appreciate till you have one, then you will never again be without it. I don't know what type E-brake you want, but I have a Pac-Brake and have been very happy with it's performance. First on the list of must haves is Exhaust valve springs, you will want to go up to the 60lb ones. Next you will have to have some sort of controller, It will lock-up the TC and control the E-Brake for you. I don't know how many are available, but I have a ATS commander and it is golden. Next is something you might not need, but should consider. That would be a new Torque Converter, again you will never appreciate it till you have a good one. The converter is really the week link for the Dodge/Cummins automatic truck. It is what usually goes (starts with a shudder), and limits the trucks ability to use all it's power. The trany, it in good shape can stay. There is the option of a Valve Body up-grade, and while beneficial it isn't a must have. Good luck with your purchase and I hope you are half as happy with yours as I am with mine.
Old 01-26-2004, 06:29 PM

I just got my tranny rebuilt by Dtt last month. My stock tranny with only 20,000 miles was slipping a little & I wanted to upgrade it before it went out. They took my tranny out & put in billet piston, servo, better valve body & torque converter. You need a smart controller to lock up the torque converter manually so it will stay locked up when you let off the throttle & switch your exhaust brake on. Without the converter staying locked the exhaust brake is useless.
Now my truck is getting it's power to the ground. Tow's my 12,000lb 5vr with ease & hardly ever touch my brakes.