24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Well- Now it won't start

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2011, 04:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Well- Now it won't start

I posted earlier how I had some error codes, one -"p1693"... companion code. I believe the vp44 has headed south. (I haven’t done any tests yet)...
This happened to be on the 1st day back in the New Year. I work in Dallas.... not too convenient. Does anyone know of: 1) A “vp44” for sale… 2) a diesel mechanic in the area? I'll need to move the truck this weekend, and would just as soon take it to a knowledgeable diesel guy then take it home. I won't have the time to repair it unless I take a day or two off, since I work about 13.5hrs each day, (Including drive time)and have no shop/garage...
I need to have the Cam Position Sensor replaced as well.
Anyone?
Old 01-05-2011, 06:28 PM

Disconnect the grid heaters and try A LITTLE starting fluid. Mine fired right up and ran with a dead VP44, the EDC has trouble starting the truck but sometimes they still pump diesel so you can drive it a ways.
Old 01-05-2011, 09:03 PM

cheap place to get vp44 is in north richland hills. A place call U.s Diesal. that where i got my when my went out.but they dont just die.if you replace the vp and you got to replace lift pump. check the filter by see it has diesel in it by turn the key and just hit the start. you should here the lift pump for about 30 sec and open and close it the drain valve, if you leak out fuel . that good , then take a 3/4 wrench and loose up a least 3 fuel that feed the injectors, at least 2 turns . then start it till you see diesel. which every line start spit out diesel tight that line back down but not to tight . after those 3 lines it should start . but if not do a 4 line.
Old 01-08-2011, 04:13 PM

Received 142 Likes on 108 Posts
Originally Posted by TurboDeezul
Disconnect the grid heaters and try A LITTLE starting fluid. Mine fired right up and ran with a dead VP44, the EDC has trouble starting the truck but sometimes they still pump diesel so you can drive it a ways.
You can try this but BE CAREFUL. Not only will you cause huge amounts of damage if you dont disconnect the grid heaters but if you use to much then it can cause other damage as well since starting fluid has zero lubricating properties. Also if you use to much starting fluid and it collects in the aftercooler then engine runaway could happen. I'd disconnect the inlet rubber tube at the intake horn and spray right from there.
Old 01-08-2011, 06:09 PM

Thanks for the tip, I'm not sure I want to spray ether in it anyway. I don't think I'll get the truck back home this weekend.....
I'll give you a little history about this situation... I've been showing the p1693 error for some 20000 miles, I know, I know... but the estimates I got to repair is more money than I have. Last Monday, as I went to leave work, I noticed the oil gage showing very little pressure, so I backed up and parked... The engine sounded real harsh as if it was about to throw the belt, like maybe the belt was rubbing or something dragging on each revolution not a high pitch, but low (probably not the belt but that’s the kind of revolving sound) . I turned it off, and sure enough the oil was low, and pretty dirty. I changed the oil and oil filter in the parking lot, but when I went to start it back up, no go... This is where I am...
There is fuel pressure at the banjo fitting past the fuel filter at the vp 44, I haven’t removed any lines past the vp 44.
I was hoping to get back to Dallas this weekend to do something, but my wife works on the weekend and I have no ride. I’m sure this is going to put a huge dent in the budget, and if I can do something myself maybe I can save some. I’m just worried about my lack of knowledge costing more in the long run.
Old 01-09-2011, 01:25 PM

Well I'm not sure what or why you would have gotten any high dollar quotes to fix the P1693 code since that just a companion code that could have been anything..........or nothing. But WOW, I dont know what to tell you about your oil situation. Given what you just described, I think you did some real damage. Diesel oil will always look "dirty" and dark in color after about 2,000 miles but if its low enough to cause your oil pressure to drop then the bearings could have been starved of lubrication, also depending on the condition of the oil itself. I'd suggest finding away to get it home and to someone you trust to look it over.
Old 01-09-2011, 07:06 PM

It sounds like you may have avoided an oil change for too long. How low was it when you checked? How many miles were on it?

When your oil pressure gauge indicated low oil pressure it doesn't necessarily mean low oil pressure! That sending unit can go bad and give you false readings.

Ask your co workers for references for a local mechanic. If you can't find one post on Craig's list and get some references. Don't make the problem too big!
Old 01-09-2011, 07:47 PM

I check the oil each and every time I drive, the entire time I'm driving. That's why I wasn't out of the parking lot yet...The oil issue wouldn't prevent the motor from starting though unless it's not retaining adequate compression to fire?
About the estimate- I took it to a mechanic, who ran the codes.. Then he told me he would have to replace the lift pump, vp 44, filter, cam position sensor, maybe the ECM @ $4500, which he could finance if I would sign my title over to him. Another option was to just sell him the truck for $2000. This sounded sketchy to me.
Old 01-09-2011, 08:12 PM

Sounded sketchy to me too. Sign the title over to him????? What other codes did you get or did he pull to justify replacing all those items? Because if he needed to replace all of those then the real question is "how did you make it another 20k miles"? Try looking for a reputable diesel shop who knows about the 2nd gen Dodge Cummins. Maybe even a Cummins specific diesel repair shop.
Old 01-09-2011, 09:49 PM

yeah it sound he going to Edit you on that deal. if engine is worth o more then $2000 and that by itself. that with the problems
Old 01-09-2011, 10:20 PM

Yeah, Agreed... I did plan to take it to someone whose reputation is known or at least important to him, and has references. I think the parts may cost more than the labor. I do appreciate the input, guys. Thanks for the info.
Old 01-10-2011, 09:36 AM
Banned

This might be an idea. Perhaps go to a parts store and borrow a scanner. Take said scanner to your truck. Plug said scanner into OBD2 port. Turn key to run and scan. Note codes. Perform a google search (you do have google don't you?). Report back.

Installing a VP or PCM or whatever based on the information provided would be a waste. Doing business with the mechanic that offered to hold your title would also be a waste.
Old 01-20-2011, 05:02 PM

I did loosen fuel lines to see if I had fuel after the vp44, sure enough the 3 lines I took loose, are bleeding (don't know how much I should see, but it looks like plenty)
OK, got some codes off this wonderful vehicle.... p0341, p1689, p0216, and p1690. ... I'll be looking for a vp44 and a cam shaft position sensor... is that right?

Perform a google search (you do have google don't you?). --- doesn't everyone??
Old 01-20-2011, 10:49 PM

yeah that not very good. i would change position sensor first , see how many codes that fix, and to see if that your whole problem .the bleeding the line is to get the air out. you might want call the us diesel to see how much there is now. i got my 3year ago and it was the cheapest place around the dallas area , at 3 year ago