24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Weird leak, lost 8 GALLONS! Could have been a lot worse...

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2007, 05:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Weird leak, lost 8 GALLONS! Could have been a lot worse...

So I go to get fuel, I fill up. I drained the water from the fuel filter, got in drove away. I was driving back to CO from NM so I went about 20 minutes on the highway before the next town. I stop at a light and someguy was just staring at my truck like he wanted it, didn't say anything, but the next guy yelled over my engine noise that my "radiator was busted". I pull over, and see fuel gushing from the drain hose for the fuel filter. So I kill engine and pop the hood, the vavle is in the closed position. You know what that vavle handle is like, if it's down, it's down, so now I am wondering how fuel was shooting out of the valve was closed? I open it, then close it. Go turn the ignition to just let the pump run, SHOOTS out again, I run the the ignition, turn it off and says some choice words and an elevated noise level. I open and close the valve like 3-4 times, hold my breath and turn the key again. It doesn't leak now, so I wait a minute, notice the "shiny" look to the whole under side of the truck and start the engine, idles fine, now gauge reads 3/4 tank though. I still was debating whether or not to drive again, I had to be back in CO today so I let it run for a bit, then went to a carwash first, spent 5$ cleaning the best I can, I need to get a degreaser and get it good though.
I could understand if I had left the valve open, it draining, but it was closed when I popped the hood, I was sure I turned it off, and at that rate it would have emptied the tank if I was open since I had filled up. That means it came open on it's own on the way down, even though the handle for the little valve was closed, how?
well, that's a long post, I was mad about losing the fuel and getting it all over, but it could have been a lot worse than this. So anyone had that happen, hear of it, or ideas? Thanks a lot
Old 05-07-2007, 05:23 PM

Location: My head lays down in Murrieta, but the day light hours are spent in San Diego, Ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've had the same thing happen once. When you close the lever it should have tension on it meaning it is closed all the way. If it doesn't and it seems to just "dangle" there, you need to force the shaft closed by adding pressure. I think whats happening, which I'm probably wrong about, is that the seals in the valve are sticking open.
Old 05-07-2007, 06:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
had this happen to me too, i jammed that piston in there and screwed her down. when i took the thing apart after i got the new one from dodge, its looks as if the seal on it dried out and was pretty **** hard.

the new one works good
Old 05-07-2007, 08:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'Least you won't have to worry about rust for while.