24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

wal-mart supertech 15-40 diesel oil??

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2005, 09:11 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What is the technical data on this oil?
Why use it and why not use it?

I know all the things like not in my $40,000.00 truck, Use at your own risk type stuff but what about technical reasons. I'am looking for good solid reasons why not to use.

I did a flow test experiment on oils useing a walkin freezer set at different temps gravity flowing through an orifice.

Delo 400 15-40
Rottela T 15-40
supertech 15-40
pennzoil 15-40
cenex 15-40
They all flowed about the same at 0*, -8*, and -15*. The surprise came when I flowed Rottela 10-30, it flowed worse the colder it got.

I done one synthetic oil in 15-40 and that was amsoil, it flowed about twice as fast as compared to the other 15-40 oils.

I know any 5-40 would probably flow faster than any 15-40 but I want to use 15-40 until the engine is broke in. Yes I know many have used synthetic oil before recommended breakin without any ill effects. I just want to use 15-40 for now and if no one can come up with a good technical reason why wal-mart supertech 15-40 is not any good maybe I'll use that for the life of the truck as I own it.

I really don't want nor need the expense of a synthetic since I'am **** about keeping everything a pristeen as possible. I changed oil every 3,000 on my 99 and with the recommended oil change interval on the 05 at 7500 miles I was thinking about changing mine every 5,000. Like I said I'am **** and even when I used synthetic in the 99 I could not go any longer than 5,000 miles.
Old 05-06-2005, 09:23 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Someone here checked into it before, Supertech is nothing more than Valvoline in a Walmart bottle.
My feeling is it would be safe to use but I never would since I don't support Walmart.
Old 05-06-2005, 09:59 AM

i only need one reason to not use it - i agree with infidel; it's wal-mart and i won't support them.
Old 05-06-2005, 12:17 PM
Banned

You know Bill that is what I have admired about you for the last 4-6 years (I lose count) is your honesty, even if you don't like something or support it you still make good honest remarks. It's guys like you that keep me coming back to these sites for information.

Should be safe to use, it's what comes in the engine from the factory valvoline I mean.

Thanks again,
Ron
Old 05-06-2005, 12:29 PM

Why do you not support wal-mart? I don't have one out ehre in my neck of the woods (more concrete than woods). I use Delo. I used Rototella in my old Ford. The dodge gets nothing but Delo. I can get it for 39.00 at Costco for a cse.

Dima
Old 05-06-2005, 01:04 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Hate to divert the thread but the reason I don't support Walmart is the way they treat employees. Being the largest employer in North America with booming profits it seems they could be paying a little better even if prices had to go up a couple of cents.
Did you know 27% of Walmart's employees are on food stamps? It just doesn't seem right that the taxpayers should have to support someone with a full time job.
Walmart closed down a store in Canada recently just because the employees voted to go union.
Sure I can see maximizing profits while keeping prices low but as America's largest employer it seems they should take on some responsibility for bettering the nation at the same time.

Another thing about Walmart is the way they set the prices they'll pay for their products. They'll say we will only pay $XX for an alarm clock and the only ones who can make this price will be either losing money or be in China.
They just aren't being responsible to America.
Old 05-06-2005, 01:17 PM

Received 263 Likes on 235 Posts
To stay on the oil topic: Read the label and verify that it does satisfy the API class requirement of your engine according to the owners manual. If it doesn't- forget it.
If it does- you can go on and decide based on techical info from this board, price, your feelings and the phase of the moon etc.

HTH

AlpineRAM
Old 05-06-2005, 03:59 PM

Originally posted by bluebull
You know Bill that is what I have admired about you for the last 4-6 years (I lose count) is your honesty, even if you don't like something or support it you still make good honest remarks. It's guys like you that keep me coming back to these sites for information.

I completely aggree with your comments Ron....the man definitely deserves some credit for the great information and advice that he gives (especially for answering the same questions over and over again). I said it before, and Ill say it again - Bill is da man...

Infidel for president
Old 05-07-2005, 04:27 AM

I've heard that Wal-Mart's SuperTech brand packages whatever is available to purchase in bulk and cheap from a number of suppliers. In others words, on a store shelf you'll see Valvoline, Pennzoil, or Staker Quake, in identical ST containers.

If so, I wouldn't care to mix additive packages in my oil pan.
Old 05-08-2005, 07:17 PM

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts
walmart

Originally posted by infidel
Hate to divert the thread but the reason I don't support Walmart is the way they treat employees. Being the largest employer in North America with booming profits it seems they could be paying a little better even if prices had to go up a couple of cents.
Did you know 27% of Walmart's employees are on food stamps? It just doesn't seem right that the taxpayers should have to support someone with a full time job.
Walmart closed down a store in Canada recently just because the employees voted to go union.
Sure I can see maximizing profits while keeping prices low but as America's largest employer it seems they should take on some responsibility for bettering the nation at the same time.

Another thing about Walmart is the way they set the prices they'll pay for their products. They'll say we will only pay $XX for an alarm clock and the only ones who can make this price will be either losing money or be in China.
They just aren't being responsible to America.
don`t forget the 27 percent are probably part time as well as a good part of shopko employes are
Old 05-08-2005, 07:31 PM
P.J
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
www.watchwalmart.com
I WISH my wife would refrain as I do, but at this point we aren't left with many choices as are many Americans in Rural and Suburban areas.
I have always used Rotealla, just beacuse I was told to by my elders. I would believe hard data if someone were to provide it to change my perception of Rotella T.
Infidel, you should see the Statistics for Arkansas (the "home state"), I think I saw where they have something in the range of 6K children of Walmart employees on State Assistance. Nice to know that the Price Roll Backs they offer are propped up by your tax dollars!!
Georgia is up around 10,000 (Ten Thousand)
Support your local parts suppliers.
Old 05-09-2005, 12:43 PM
Banned

Guys, lets not get of track and start wal-mart bashing. Hell, I use to be on food stamps and I was a police officer. Lets face it there are many american citizens on food stamps working honest jobs, not just wal-mart employees.

I asked for proof not hear say and name calling. Not one single person has posted any proof on this thread. I beleave one person only because I know this guy and have corresponded and read many post from him to beleave in what he says.
Old 05-09-2005, 12:54 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by bluebull
Not one single person has posted any proof on this thread.
I don't believe the burden of proof is on us to qualify or not qualify anyone's lubricating oil. If you want to know what's in the product, ask the supplier for his technical data sheets. Mobil, Red Line, Royal Purple and others can readily supply them - they're also available on their websites. If Wal-Mart wants to compete, they should be able to supply the same information.

Rusty
Old 05-09-2005, 02:04 PM

I picked up three 2 gallon jugs of the Supertech 15-40 the other day from Walmart. The cost was $10.30 for a 2 gallon jug. I'll need to change my oil in about a month so now I'm just waiting for word that this is an acceptable oil to use. Anybody have any experience with this oil?
Old 05-09-2005, 04:30 PM
Banned

Originally posted by RustyJC
I don't believe the burden of proof is on us to qualify or not qualify anyone's lubricating oil. If you want to know what's in the product, ask the supplier for his technical data sheets. Mobil, Red Line, Royal Purple and others can readily supply them - they're also available on their websites. If Wal-Mart wants to compete, they should be able to supply the same information.

Rusty
Rusty,
I'am not here to argue with you or anyone else, I just asked for good solid information not a bunch of hopla. If you reread my question (thread starter post) I already afirmed what most have said.

I just thought maybe someone would know the answer without me having to search every were. I guess that is the reason I come on these boards, god only knows I've given useful and well researched information whenever I could, on this board and others. I better sign off before I start typing things I shouldn't. Have a good day.
Ron

Quick Reply: wal-mart supertech 15-40 diesel oil??