24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

wait to start light slow to come on

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2010, 03:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
wait to start light slow to come on

Anyone else experienced this? The wait to start light will sometimes not pop ON for 10 to 20 seconds, then goes through the regular waiting time (longer or shorter depending on temp). If I try to start the truck BEFORE the light comes on, it will just crank, never fire. Once I have tried to start without waiting for the light to come on, and try again, it pops right up and starts with no problems. However, if I wait for the light it fires right up in a crank or two like usual.

Any ideas? Is there some sort of "trigger" in the engine that won't let it start until the WTS light comes on? (it bumps the lift pump when the light comes on).

Are my heaters getting bad? There doesn't appear to be any more or less battery power required, and they still stay on a long time during cold starts.
Old 02-01-2010, 03:42 PM
I wish I was as fine, as those who work the pipeline!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Have you checked all your battery connections and grounds? That is where I would start. Might also want to have your batteries checked. My truck was doing some pretty funky stuff too. Turned out my battery cable was corroded on the inside. New cables, and new ends and all is right.

Just a thought.
Old 02-01-2010, 07:40 PM

Here is all you need to know.

http://dodgeram.org/tech/dsl/trouble...niford_htr.htm
Old 02-01-2010, 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by nitrousn
Linky no worky.

At least not for me.
Old 02-02-2010, 07:42 PM

Try this.

http://dodgeram.org/tech/dsl/trouble...niford_htr.htm
Old 02-02-2010, 10:37 PM

Received 152 Likes on 131 Posts
I was gonna suggest the batteries also....

Kurt
Old 02-03-2010, 12:41 AM

Originally Posted by nitrousn
Hey that is cool!!! That should go to the wiki!!!

Great info!
Old 07-27-2010, 12:33 PM

Has this issue been resolved? If so, what was the resolution. My truck is experiencing the same problem. 1999 manual transmission 24 valve. Some people say it is the grid heaters, some say it is the ECM. However, I cannot find anyone that has posted the solution to this problem.
Old 03-24-2011, 09:32 PM

ECM was replaced, Wait to Start light started this delay thing for a year almost to the day the ECM was replaced and now Wait to Start light does not come on at all and the truck starts quickly. I am confused as well. There does not seem to be a set answer.
Old 10-04-2015, 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by ado2b1
Anyone else experienced this? The wait to start light will sometimes not pop ON for 10 to 20 seconds, then goes through the regular waiting time (longer or shorter depending on temp). If I try to start the truck BEFORE the light comes on, it will just crank, never fire. Once I have tried to start without waiting for the light to come on, and try again, it pops right up and starts with no problems. However, if I wait for the light it fires right up in a crank or two like usual.

Any ideas? Is there some sort of "trigger" in the engine that won't let it start until the WTS light comes on? (it bumps the lift pump when the light comes on).

Are my heaters getting bad? There doesn't appear to be any more or less battery power required, and they still stay on a long time during cold starts.

I had the same problem. My wait to start light was taking longer and longer to come on and my truck would not start until the light had come on then gone off again. I took it to the dealership and they said it was still coming on so there wasn't a problem. This went on for about three years. Just recently my oil pressure sending unit went out and had to be replaced because it was reading zero pressure. After replacing that part, my wait to start light works like it did when the truck was new.
Old 10-04-2015, 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by slick50
ECM was replaced, Wait to Start light started this delay thing for a year almost to the day the ECM was replaced and now Wait to Start light does not come on at all and the truck starts quickly. I am confused as well. There does not seem to be a set answer.
See my reply to the original post. Replaced my oil pressure sending unit and wait to start light works fine now.
Old 10-04-2015, 08:13 PM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Holy Resurrection again Batman
Old 05-20-2016, 09:28 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sorry to be digging up this thread again.

The link that nitrousn provided aught to be a 'sticky' in the tech section,
(and maybe is already, but just not in the Gen 1 section).... which brings me
to my question.

The instructions provided in the link do not cover the Gen 1's.

So is there something similar for troubleshooting the 'Wait to Start' taking to long issue
for the Gen 1;s?

Any additional info would be much appreciated.

Cheers
Stack