24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

vp44 removal ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2010, 02:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
vp44 removal ?

I have downloaded a pdf on the removal of the vp44.(dialup dont do youtube).

I have the crankcase vent removed and i can see the front of the pump shaft. I have the key at the 12 oclock position. But the painted line is more at the 6 o'clock position instead of the 7 o'clock in the instructions. Has anyone else run into this? or has everyone that has done this had the line at the 7'oclock position.

When i press the pump out is anything going to fall down in the cover? what holds the gear from falling? or does it come out with the puller? i dont see where anyone has addressed this part of the removal.

or does the fan assembly have to come out and the shroud and the front cover to make sure everything is in time?

details,details.
Old 12-05-2010, 03:12 PM

No sure what paint line you are referring too. That said the gear just sits in place as there are gears under it. Make sure you take both the pump nut and [U]washer[U] off. Then just press the pump out. Fan doesn't need to come off unless you drop the key in the front timing housing.
Old 12-05-2010, 06:46 PM
Banned

If you are unsure, dieseldanmac & vp44 will bring up youtube vids. I can get them on my phone. There are 5 and they are very useful. It may be worth your trouble.

FYI, tapping the wire will void most VP warranties. You may want to wait until it is running well before tapping the new pump.
Old 12-05-2010, 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by Junk Man
If you are unsure, dieseldanmac & vp44 will bring up youtube vids. I can get them on my phone. There are 5 and they are very useful. It may be worth your trouble.

FYI, tapping the wire will void most VP warranties. You may want to wait until it is running well before tapping the new pump.
it takes 30+ minutes to download a little 3 minute clip. it aint worth the effort.Thats not counting the time it takes just to get the player to load.
Old 12-05-2010, 11:03 PM

Hey, just make sure the keyway is at 12 o clock! The gear will not go out of time, it doesn't have enough room in the timing case to come unmeshed from the front gearset. Only the pump will be removed from the engine, no gears or anything like that. Hope that helps!
Old 12-06-2010, 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by dodge24
Hey, just make sure the keyway is at 12 o clock! The gear will not go out of time, it doesn't have enough room in the timing case to come unmeshed from the front gearset. Only the pump will be removed from the engine, no gears or anything like that. Hope that helps!
thanks, i did'nt think it would. Just wondered if the timimg mark on the gear was supposed to be in the 7o'clock position. Or if mine was out of time. On the front of my gear it has a white painted line . Just wondered if this was the timeing mark or if it was something someone else added to it.
Old 12-06-2010, 10:45 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When you get it out don't turn the shaft!!!!! Put it on the bench along side the new one and match up the keyways so the new one will just slide in.
Old 12-06-2010, 10:46 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by 2 busy
it takes 30+ minutes to download a little 3 minute clip. it aint worth the effort.Thats not counting the time it takes just to get the player to load.
The FSM has the details. pdftown has several FSMs.

Pay attention to how the hard lines come off & bolts that come off of the manifold else you'll waste some time on the redo. Also, you can run the truck with the air horn off while you are checking for leaks etc.

12:00 for the key. Make sure arrow points toward pump on reinstall. Make sure key number matches pump. It should be correct from rebuilder but check anyway. Use airhorn bolt screwed into gear as handle to move gear into place on pump reinstall. Pump should slide in easily.

IF you have trouble stopping leaks between the hard line and injector tube, crank down a little tighter. If that doesn't fix it, replace o-ring on injector tube ($1.75 x 6 from cummins) and clean the tube ends with scotch brite or 1000 grit or finer sand paper. No need for new tubes at $25 each.

The only thing the vids do is give more detail. I used to do a lot of downloading over the phone line. Now even my place in the hills of TN has dsl.