24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

VP44 questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2007, 06:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
VP44 questions

I own a 2001 24valve cummins and i have a question about the vp44. I have been reading alot of discussions and problems with the vp44 and lots of people have said that they break down usally around 100000kms. My truck is nearing 96000kms and im starting to worry about it. Is there any warning signs that its starting to go or does it just one day stop working? Also is there any products to keep the vp44 from crapping out or do they just prolong the eventually death of the pump? As of now i dont have the finacial means of buying a new one, so any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 08-19-2007, 06:10 PM
P.J
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Knowing what your fuel pressure from the "lift" pump (pump that supplies the fuel to the high pressure injection pump) is key.

First step to being as informed and proactive as you can be with your VP-44 is to have a fuel pressure gauge in the cab. This will help you at least in the event that your LP (lift pump) dies and starves the VP.

A Big line kit with increased ID fuel lines and/or an aftermarket lift pump may be a good investment when possible too.

Thing is, the older ones are just plain prone to failure, some sooner than others. Do you know the history of the truck? Original LP and VP-44?
Old 08-19-2007, 07:25 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
They pretty much go anytimg they dang well please. I have one customer with 400K on his and I've done four pumps. Mine bit the dust at around 80k. Make them last???? Make sure your fuel delivery system (lift pump, filter) remain in good condition......and hope. Personally I think if you own a VP equipped truck you had BEST be prepared to drop over 1K+ at will.

...and there is some good news: I've seen a couple worn out, beat up, never been treated nice CTD's with 300K+ and still had the original VP44 pump in place. One guy had even ran it until it died when the lift pump went out. Installed a new lift pump and away he went........twice. I would LOVE to have that pump!
Old 08-19-2007, 09:16 PM

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts
there are two ways the IP will fail, one is the electronic control module will fail, resulting in a no start/run condition... the other is the mechanical parts will wear out resulting in dead pedal, poor performance.
when mine went bad, it was the control module.
either way, the pump has to be replaced......
Old 08-19-2007, 11:15 PM
BBA

Just replaced mine left me strandad! Got it fixed though. I did have a few reason to think it was going out and then it finally took a crap on me so to speak.
Old 08-20-2007, 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by johnh
there are two ways the IP will fail, one is the electronic control module will fail, resulting in a no start/run condition... the other is the mechanical parts will wear out resulting in dead pedal, poor performance.
when mine went bad, it was the control module.
either way, the pump has to be replaced......
I've often wondered why no one makes a VP44 with remote mounted electronics (like the Stanadynes for the 6.5's). That might make it possible to replace the electronics without having to replace the whole IP. Or you could remote mount the electonics (like the 6.5 owners do) and maybe make them last longer. Mouting electonics in a location where they're exposed to heat, moisture, and vibration does not make for a long lived combination.