24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

vp44 question

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2009, 10:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
also when i replace the vp44 i was going to add a fuel gauge. what ones or good? also going to add a low fuel pressure light from bd
Old 01-07-2009, 02:30 AM

I always recommend a gauge over a light. It doesn't hurt to have both, but a gauge is the bare minimum IMO.

A light can't show you a trend of falling or struggling pressures. High pressures or anything other than the pressure that sender triggers at.

Dave
Old 01-07-2009, 07:29 AM

bdsurfer1982, I just went through the excercise of replacing a vp44. I purchased the FASS (aftermarket improvement over stock lift pump), and vp44 as a package deal from Midwest Fuel (Illinois). Additionallly, from Vulcan Performance (Washington), I purchased a 1/2" diameter Vulcan drawstraw (fuel tank aftermarket improvement), and Dipricol mechanical fuel pressure gauge with isolator kit and steering column mount. The Vulcan drawstraw was needed to compensate for the better lift pump (FASS), and so I wouldn't run out of fuel at 1/4 tank. Hope that helps. DD
Old 01-07-2009, 08:50 PM

What dodgerdog said. I did the same thing during early fall last year. I put in the FASS 150/150 with the filters and the draw straw and guage. Got 14/15 lbs fuel pressure when idling and might go down to 13 lbs at WOT.
Old 01-07-2009, 10:58 PM

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by Fishin2Deep4U
By who? I have been run no less than 37PSI at WOT for years. And over 40psi at idle.

Dave
bosch...................
Old 01-07-2009, 11:30 PM

Originally Posted by johnh
bosch...................
Ok, I'll bite.

I am glad that someone is finally able to produce factual data from Bosch.

When can we expect to see the letter or press release from Bosch regarding testing and limitation standards of the inlet fuel supply for the VP44 used in Dodge Ram series trucks?

It will be refreshing to see the actual stance of the company and not some half hearted repeated out of context, friend's, brother's, 2nd cousin's, high school guidance counselor's local burger flipping authority has to say about it.

I love good info! Up to this point, I don't think many of us has gotten to see an actual company document regarding this hotly debated topic. I know I sure haven't. And I can't wait!

If you need my e-mail, drop me a PM and I will happy to post it up for you.

Dave
Old 01-08-2009, 08:38 AM

You won't find this kind of information from Bosch, because of liabilities arising out of the various ways they screwed up on VP-44 production. But then, you knew that already.

The best source of information on the VP-44 can be had from rebuilders who use Bosch-certified specifications and have participated in fleet refits (bus, delivery truck, etc). Here's what I've been told:

(1) Early VP-44's were prone to fail with high fuel pressure because diaphragms were made of substandard materials and metal parts were poorly machined.

(2) That particular problem (there are other major problems with the VP-44) was cleared up in pumps used for part of the 2001 model year and all of 2002. Rebuilt pumps after 2002 (assuming they're produced according to Bosch recommendations), included this fix.

(3) Sustained pressure above 25 psi or below 9 psi is not recommended.
Old 01-08-2009, 07:54 PM

That's my point. There is nothing more that recommendations by those that have not done any actual scientific testing.

Out of the vehicles I have put cams in, not one has had a VP44 failure. All the pressures are similar to mine and the owners opted for that pressure based on the longevity of my system. This is with an optional bypass regulator made available to each of these folks.

Is my method right? Probably not. My point is that I don't have the "right" answers, but there are far too many myths about what Bosch supposedly says about the subject.

I don't believe anyone will see any real advantage to running more than 20 psi with the standard inlet. With my larger 14mm inlet, I only need about 12 psi to do the same job as there is far less restriction. No, you can't buy a pump with a 14mm inlet. That's owner done...

Dave
Old 01-09-2009, 01:12 PM

I replaced mine with a Blue Chip special X pump, which increases HP and an increase in milage. Lift pump was replaced with an Airdog 150. I highly recommend using Blue Chip for your pump needs.
Old 01-12-2009, 05:27 PM

were can i find good vp44 install instructions

i need to install a new injection pump. any help?
Old 02-14-2009, 04:29 PM

how high will your pressure run without a regulator? If I run a Walbro pump plumbed direct from the tank to the filter to the vp44 how high should my pressure be?
Thanks
Eric
Old 04-20-2009, 08:48 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Fuel psi 19@ idle and 15@ wot. Driving around town I have no problems. I hitch something up to tow and I get intermittent loss of power and a dead pedal. Filters are new and no codes. Is it possible to have a dying VP and have no codes thrown? The issue wasn't just once or twice but almost all the way home on a 2hr trip. Any help would be appreciated but I'm guessing that the VP is retiring.
Old 04-24-2009, 05:54 PM
PRG

hibid, you may want to try resetting your APPS before addressing the VP44. The resetting procedure may be found in the shop manual or on the MOPRARMAN1973 website. Probably in a thread in this forum and T.D.R.'s too.
Old 04-25-2009, 10:01 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Thanks...I will try to reset today.
Old 04-25-2009, 12:04 PM

Bak to BDsurfers problem...

It's fairly simple if you can turn a wrench. Take your time.
When you go to take the nut and washer off the shaft, put a telescoping magnet on the end of the shaft to reduce the chance of dropping them into the case. You may also look into the upgraded bracket that attaches the lower end of the pump to the block. According to Cummins, it reduces the vibrations felt by the pump. It isn't expensive and it's simple to change.
Part number 3938707 I think..

Quick Reply: vp44 question