24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

VP44 Install!

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2007, 09:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
VP44 Install!

ok, i know this has been beat to death BUT, i'm gonna install my first injection pump tomorrow morning and i was wondering if anyone or everyone can give some tips, tricks, and pointers. i already printed off the article in the "tech facts" but i was just looking for a little more, and maybe some re-assurance too.

also, i'm kinda freakin out about "droppin the key". is it really that easy to do or what? and also, what happens if you do, god forbid?
Old 05-04-2007, 10:40 PM

just did mine last week, not that bad.The key is pretty well stuck in the shaft, just make sure you use a mirror to line it up when you put the pump back in.Make sure you tighten the #2 injector line at the head before you put the air horn back on.You will be amazed at how much better the truck will run.
Old 05-04-2007, 10:46 PM

ya i'm pretty excited. wasn't excited about spendin the money for it, but i am curious to see how much different it runs.

so how'd that #6 injector line treat ya?
Old 05-04-2007, 11:17 PM

try this

http://www.nwbombers.com/membersites/kent/vp44.html

you will be amazed.

Old 05-05-2007, 01:03 AM

My key was already glued in place, consider setting it in there with a small dab of Locktite or Super Glue first.

Pull the high pressure lines off in 2 sets of three. I believe the groups are 1 2 4 and 3 5 6.

A good quality 19mm 12 point tubing wrench will make the job easier. I had only a 6 point and could not find one in town. So I cut a slot in a 12 piont standard box end wrench.

Put a dab of while / yellow paint on the front edge of the key so you can see it from the front of the engine looking through the gear hole. It seemed to help with aligning it in the key slot.

Because I had never done it before, some confusion over wether the tapered shaft popped loose during dis-assembly. Mine popped way easier than I expected it too. I would suggest measuring how much of the threaded part of the bolt protrudes prior to popping it so you can confirm if the gear has popped loose right away. Loosening up on the pump mounting bolts a bit, it became readily obvious to me later as the gear wiggled freely. Just some initial confusion.

It was a pretty easy job for me and I am no great mechanic. It was also my first time and I had to do it mostly alone. Very straight forward job for the most part. The only feeling of "Oh dear, Oh dear, Oh dear" I got was when I had to set the tapered shaft on with the 35 ft/lbm preload. Check and re-check that key, make sure it is exactly lined up before you do that step. It can be fairly difficult to see if you have old eyes, use some young ones.

The pump is pretty heavy, some help with one setting it in place while another checking alignment I would think would be a good idea on your first try.

Some of the back side support brackets can crack. Make sure to check.

I primed and started mine with the air horn / APPS still out of the way. It was really easy to check for leaks as well as tighten all the fittings. Because the wiring was still disconnected it threw some codes, but they all cleared.

Here is the step-by-step procedure I used. Thanks Bob / Sticks.

Jim
Old 05-05-2007, 01:17 AM

Originally Posted by Ridiculous
ok, i know this has been beat to death BUT, i'm gonna install my first injection pump tomorrow morning and i was wondering if anyone or everyone can give some tips, tricks, and pointers. i already printed off the article in the "tech facts" but i was just looking for a little more, and maybe some re-assurance too.

also, i'm kinda freakin out about "droppin the key". is it really that easy to do or what? and also, what happens if you do, god forbid?
I am guessing you get to remove a bunch more stuff including the timing gear cover and don't ever sleep again until you find it.

At least it is not a 25 million dollar gas turbine.

Jim
Old 05-05-2007, 02:02 AM

Originally Posted by NoSeeUm
At least it is not a 25 million dollar gas turbine.

Jim

Are you speaking from experience?
Old 05-05-2007, 07:39 AM

thanks for the help guys, i'm off and ready this mornin.

wish me luck!
Old 05-05-2007, 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by Tate
Are you speaking from experience?
Nah.... I don't actually work on them. But I have heard some horror stories from my co-workers who have and "Oops, where did that go?".

Jim