24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

??VP Guru's

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2010, 10:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
??VP Guru's

Do any of you VP guru's know if your fuel gauage is showing around 4# at WOT if it will set the PO216 death code? Mine idles around 11# and around 7# cruising but will drop to 4# WOT. Truck runs great, plenty of power. Don't know if it is lift pump going south or VP. Thanks for any info.
Old 07-10-2010, 08:16 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Your fuel pressure is marginal, and will not set that code.
That code shows a timing issue I believe, internal to the vp.
Old 07-11-2010, 01:27 PM
Banned

Fuel pressure is ridiculously low considering all of the VP problems. Do you still have the tiny stock lines and restricted banjo bolt? Check out Blue Chip for diagnosis. Check out MWFI also.
Old 07-11-2010, 04:51 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Fuel pressure is slightly below the spec, which is 5 lbs WOT. I would star looking for a replacement LP. I would not stop driving, this is not an emergency.
The LP will not set the 0216, if it is present it means that the VP44 is on its way out.
Old 07-11-2010, 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by PaulDaisy
Fuel pressure is slightly below the spec, which is 5 lbs WOT. I would star looking for a replacement LP. I would not stop driving, this is not an emergency.
The LP will not set the 0216, if it is present it means that the VP44 is on its way out.
Will pulling my 30' TT shorten the life of the LP at these pressures? Fuel pressure remains pretty much the same at all times except when pulling hard but stays above 5#.
Old 07-11-2010, 06:57 PM
Administrator/Jarhead

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Here's a pretty good read about VP44's...

http://www.bluechipdiesel.com/vp44diagnostichelp.html
Old 07-13-2010, 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by paparcl
Will pulling my 30' TT shorten the life of the LP at these pressures? Fuel pressure remains pretty much the same at all times except when pulling hard but stays above 5#.
I don't think it matters. You will get lower pressure reached quicker and it will stay lower for longer when towing than when not, simply because the load on the engine is higher. But as long as there is positive pressure registering, you are Ok. However, the lower pressures you are seeing are likely a sign that the LP worked out the larger tolerances that it should have, and that it will go out soon altogether. While not a lethal thing by itself, that will cause the reduction of lubrication of VP and is widely believed to be the cause of VP failure.
In short, I would buy a replacement and drive normally, towing or not, until I have the time and desire to replace it, or until the LP fails. 5 lbs of pressure WOT is the factory spec. People here love to have 20 lbs but there is information available that pressures over 12 lbs are suboptimal for VP44.
Old 07-13-2010, 02:31 PM

Thanks PaulDaisy for the info. I will drive it normally and don't use wot very much if any. I'll replace lift pump soon but will still enjoy the summer. Thanks again for the good info.
Old 07-13-2010, 02:39 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by paparcl
You said have 4# of fuel pressure perhaps and your VP is throwing a 0216 code. It really doesn't matter what you do. You will be in the market for a VP and fuel system in the near future. No one can predict how long it will last. Code simply indicates that the time is nearer than it was. I read somewhere perhaps @ bluechip that code with no driveability problems could be run.

I got intermittent dead pedal so changed the VP after looking for any alternative. Changing was better than paying a tow bill then changing. Search "dieseldanmac vp" on you tube for videos of replacement. It isn't a difficult job, only time consuming and expensive.
Old 07-13-2010, 10:47 PM

Originally Posted by Junk Man
You said have 4# of fuel pressure perhaps and your VP is throwing a 0216 code. It really doesn't matter what you do. You will be in the market for a VP and fuel system in the near future. No one can predict how long it will last. Code simply indicates that the time is nearer than it was. I read somewhere perhaps @ bluechip that code with no driveability problems could be run.

I got intermittent dead pedal so changed the VP after looking for any alternative. Changing was better than paying a tow bill then changing. Search "dieseldanmac vp" on you tube for videos of replacement. It isn't a difficult job, only time consuming and expensive.
This is what Chip at bluechipdiesel said:
You are right. You can drive your truck until you get some other problem with that code. As we used to say in the Ford garage, Drive it and enjoy it!
Best Regards, Chip Fisher
Old 07-13-2010, 11:22 PM

Get rid of the horribly restrictive banjo bolts in your fuel system. Get a Vulcan reloctor/ big line kit for your fuel pump and you will not see less than 12 psi unless your fuel filter is getting clogged.
Old 07-15-2010, 04:52 PM

Oh boy, here we go, all the way out.
The OP did not say he has a 0216 if I read his post correctly? It would be prudent to read the codes on the truck, since the 0216 does not set off the CEL, but unless the code is there, there is no sign his VP is going out.
I have done testing and am convinced that the banjo bolts, even though restrictive, are not restrictive enough to cause lack of flow to the VP, at least not with low power mods (<500 HP I would say). Going to 1/2" lines and open fittings is a feel-good measure, and while it does not harm anything (other than your wallet), it is no necessary.