24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Voltage gauge randomely drops to 8v (somewhat long post)

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2009, 12:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Voltage gauge randomely drops to 8v (somewhat long post)

hey guys, a couple weeks ago we had a blizzard here and i wad to go out and run some errands. Well the road i was on was drifted really bad and i had no choice but to hit a pretty big drift. Anyway, i hit the drift and immediately my voltage gauge dropped to 8 volts and my check gauges light came on. Anyway, i wasn't sure at that point what had happened, so initial thought was either belt slipped, or came off, but i had power steering still. So to make sure, i drove a couple miles to our Advance Auto and had them check the charging system, it was charging 14.4v, which is normal. Anyway, at that point, i wasn't sure what had caused it, only assuming since the motor, alt, air filter etc. were covered in snow something had gotten wet. Hour later or so, i went to McD for lunch, shut truck off and went in to eat. Came back out and volt gauge was reading correctly.

Now comes the weird part, the voltage gauge read fine until last sat, then it randomly dropped to 8 volts again with check gauges light coming on. I got to a stop sign, shut the truck off and restarted it, volt gauge came up to around 10 volts and stayed there for a while, then dropped back to 8 with check gauges light coming on again. Drove the rest of the way to where i was going (i was on interstate with pyro at 800) and shut it down, started it after coming back out of store and it was fine. It has dome the same crap again maybe 2 or 3 times. Thurs. i checked under the hood, i saw nothing out of ordinary, no loose plugs, ground wire on Alt. was dry and tight, couldn't get plug off back of alt. to check that (any special way to unplug that?) Anyway, since it happened Thurs. it hasn't again since yet. However, what else could i check that wold cause this to happen, i don't like having a gauge drop on me with a dinging bright red check gauges light on the IC.

Please give me some ideas guys, or if its happened to you tell me where i can start looking for the root cause.

Thanks and sorry for the long post!!!
Old 12-19-2009, 01:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Did you get your batteries load tested? Same thing happened to me last winter. Down to 8V then back to 14V. Left battery just passed but the right was so screwed that when taking the surface charge off the battery before the load test, it dropped all the way down to 6V. Changed both batteries and haven't had a problem since.
Old 12-19-2009, 09:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sounds like a bad battery. Go to Advance or Autozone and they will check it for free. Just remember to separate the batteries from each other before the test. AutoZone's Duralast Gold is a great battery with an awesome warranty....