24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Vibration Help...

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2012, 03:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hhrumph
I agree with sixslug, Tires are most likely "out of round".
Old 01-31-2012, 04:51 PM

Received 152 Likes on 131 Posts
Lettin it sit will do it.

Welcome home and Thanks!
Old 01-31-2012, 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by SIXSLUG
Lettin it sit will do it.

Welcome home and Thanks!
i am glad to be home, but no thanks is due to me... i was over there for work, building armored troop carriers. i am not in the military and do not want to take any thanks that should go to them...
Old 02-01-2012, 06:58 PM

I have the same problem currently. Had a bad vibration at 65+mph but just dealt with it for a little while because tires where about to be replaced anyway. Just for info they were Mickey Thompson Atz 285 75 R16 and I got about 60,000 miles out of them. Anyway a guy in my area had some Mickey Thompson Atz 305 70 R16 for sale off of his superduty because he lifted it and put larger tires on. Anyway they have about 80% on them so I put them on and balanced them at my buddies shop. Drove it and vibration gone. Driving it 3 weeks now and yesterday vibration is back, and its like it never left, exactly the same as it was before. What gives?
Old 02-02-2012, 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by diggerfan99
I have the same problem currently. Had a bad vibration at 65+mph but just dealt with it for a little while because tires where about to be replaced anyway. Just for info they were Mickey Thompson Atz 285 75 R16 and I got about 60,000 miles out of them. Anyway a guy in my area had some Mickey Thompson Atz 305 70 R16 for sale off of his superduty because he lifted it and put larger tires on. Anyway they have about 80% on them so I put them on and balanced them at my buddies shop. Drove it and vibration gone. Driving it 3 weeks now and yesterday vibration is back, and its like it never left, exactly the same as it was before. What gives?
are you posative the issue was the tires? there are a lot of things that could cause the vibration
1) U-Joints - remove all load on the shaft to tell if good or bad.
2) Carrier Bearing - there is a little play in the carrier bearing, but nothing excessive
3) Drive Shaft - bent or dented
4) Shocks
5) Tires - just cause they balance doesnt mean they are good... i found out the more expensive way...
6) T-Case Output Shaft Bearing
7) Pinion Bearing

there are more items if you probelem is more death wobble. where do you feel the vibration?
Old 02-02-2012, 08:46 PM

Seems like up front, I have an aftermarket track bar (adjustable) have recently replaced tie rod ends, and had a carrier bearing custom made by Driveshafts Unlimited. Pretty sure that the driveshaft isn't bent, U-joints check ok. The only thing that has changed is that last weekend I removed the front tires to install new front brakes and seems like the vibration started after that. I did not do anything different when tightening my wheels down, steel cragars, and as I said I had this vibration before so I know I don't have a wheel tightened wrong. This weekend I am going to try and rotate the fronts to the back and see if the vibration moves.
Old 02-02-2012, 08:52 PM

Also I forgot to mention, I recently replaced all shocks including stabilizer. Skyjacker Nitro 9000 all four corners. Skyjacker Hydro 9000 stabilizer.
Old 02-02-2012, 08:53 PM

Received 142 Likes on 108 Posts
Seems like up front, I have an aftermarket track bar (adjustable) have recently replaced tie rod ends, and had a carrier bearing custom made by Driveshafts Unlimited. Pretty sure that the driveshaft isn't bent, U-joints check ok. The only thing that has changed is that last weekend I removed the front tires to install new front brakes and seems like the vibration started after that. I did not do anything different when tightening my wheels down, steel cragars, and as I said I had this vibration before so I know I don't have a wheel tightened wrong. This weekend I am going to try and rotate the fronts to the back and see if the vibration moves.
If you put the tires back on the opposite side they came off of then it could cause a tire wobble. I dont move tires from side to side when I rotate unless there is less than a couple thousand miles on them otherwise it always seems to cause a tire balance issue. A tire shop will say thats not true.
Old 02-03-2012, 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by KATOOM
If you put the tires back on the opposite side they came off of then it could cause a tire wobble. I dont move tires from side to side when I rotate unless there is less than a couple thousand miles on them otherwise it always seems to cause a tire balance issue. A tire shop will say thats not true.
I agree, I never move tires from side to side only front to back. I have had the belts in the tires separate when changing their direction. The only catch with these tires are I had to try and guess which direction they were running because the guy didn't have them marked when I bought them. Got a little steering wheel shake with it too. I guess I will try moving the front to the rear, its a start anyway.
Old 02-04-2012, 09:54 PM

Received 152 Likes on 131 Posts
Could've thrown a weight, I noticed the flange on the factory alloys isn't real thin like a steel wheel and used to see the weights barely hanging on.

I switched to stick ons for this reason.
Old 02-05-2012, 10:55 AM

Received 142 Likes on 108 Posts
Originally Posted by SIXSLUG
Could've thrown a weight, I noticed the flange on the factory alloys isn't real thin like a steel wheel and used to see the weights barely hanging on.

I switched to stick ons for this reason.
Thats a fact. And to add to that, tire shops would much rather use the clip on weights because they're cheaper and easier than the stick on weights. I went round and round over this as my weights kept flying off shortly after leaving the tire shop. After complaining that this was becoming very inconvenient, they'd want to try "this" type or "that" type so I finally demanded that they try stick on's and now no more weight problem. Want to see a tire wear funny, then run them out of balance for a few thousand miles.
Old 02-05-2012, 05:12 PM

I looked at the fronts and I am missing the weights that were mounted on the inside of the wheels when I had them balanced. Didn't have much weights on them but might be enough to cause my problem?