24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Very cold start.....no start

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2006, 11:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Very cold start.....no start

It's been -40 here for 4 days strait in the morning, i have had no problem starting my truck till this morning. It was pluged in, and i cycled it twice before attempting to start. It turned over ok at a good speed but it just would not even attempt to fire up. this went on till the battery's died. Would the fuel have jelled on me? i do pun in fuel condetioner that i buy from the Dodge dealership. if it has jelled and i heat up the truck for a while, will it start up or is there something else i should do? i appriciate any help or comments or tips to prevent this from happening again.
Old 11-27-2006, 11:51 AM

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
Mike, mine is almost doing the same thing. We haven't had winter in how many years now, we've forgotten what its about.
Could be your lift pump gave up at some point, and with the added cold, you are "out" of fuel as such.
As for additives, run FPPF total power, you can get it down at AJAX Industrial. I have run summer fuel right down to -45 with that stuff, and no gelling.
Otherwise, you have bigger and better problems to worry about. Check your PM's
Old 11-27-2006, 12:34 PM

Would he lift pump just stop working like that over night? and if so how difficult would it be to test and change?
Old 11-27-2006, 08:17 PM

i'm having the same problem but mine wasn't plugged in for 2 days but then it woundn't start even after I plugged it in when i am trying to jump with another vehicle it will turn over very slowly and then just stop, any tips?
Old 11-27-2006, 08:26 PM

Charge up the batteries, if they'll take a charge, then load test them,. I would bet that they are probably frozen. That round shape they get in colder weather isn't "middle-age spread" and it isn't water retention. It's frozen batteries, and chances are they are done.
I know mine have been getting pretty weak, I just haven't changed them yet. Have to get around to that one when I have time as well.

Another tip, put battery blankets in, BUT, do NOT plug the blankets in above -20C all you are doing then is causing the batteries to overheat, "boil" as such. The battery will generate enough heat all by itself, when wrapped with the blanket, to keep it happy down to -20 to -30 in some cases.
Another culprit is oil that is too thick. Cold weather demands concessions from the best of us. I run 0W40 Synthetic from late september to early/mid april. I use 15W40 Dino oil in the warmer months. This costs more for sure, but when the truck starts in cold weather, it is worth it. My truck works every day, earning its own way along, downtime is not an option.
Oilpan heaters can also help a lot, when combined with a block heater, they can do amazing things.

Just some useless info, good luck with the trucks
Old 11-27-2006, 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by pind
Another culprit is oil that is too thick. Cold weather demands concessions from the best of us. I run 0W40 Synthetic from late september to early/mid april. I use 15W40 Dino oil in the warmer months. This costs more for sure, but when the truck starts in cold weather, it is worth it.
Definitely go to wome 0w40 or 5w40 oil. I did this last year, and it cranked like it was +10 all the time, even when it was -25. I didn't get to it this year, and when I fired it up on friday, at -15, it took about 20 seconds to get oil pressure. I haven't started it since then. Not looking forward to it either.
Old 11-27-2006, 11:44 PM

I'm spinning 0w-40 Rotella SB it really is great.

***Do not charge or boost FROZEN batteries*** if they're bulged they're toast, get new ones. Especially where you guys are at.
Old 11-28-2006, 02:02 AM

I tend to use batteries until they just aren't any good. That being said, a slight bulge in them isnt the death sentence, its when you open the hood and your batteries look like a couple of little round fat kids, waiting for a box of smarties.... then, its time to change them for sure.

Good batteries, synthetic oil, a pan heater, battery blankets.. all good ideas. If you drive a 4x4, do yourself a favour, when you fire it up, throw the T-case in Neutral, and the tranny in your favorite gear, that helps spin the tranny and case, to warm them up too.

Synth oil in the diffs, tranny and t-case are a must, especially in the true cold climates. This prevents tearing seals out due to thick oil.

Many years in the north is a better teacher than any book could ever be.

Stay warm out there.
Old 11-28-2006, 10:51 AM

Hey thats a really good idea putting the transfer case in nutral and warming up the tran. i will doing that on the cold days. starting to look like we are in a warming trend, only -37 this morning.